• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Enacting Equality

Wealth and Power appears to be inseparable.

It has always been status and power that are related. Status confers power. In the modern world, for the most part, wealth confers status... and therefore power. But even in the early days of communist russia, there were those with more power, as a result of having higher status... even if they didn't necessarily have more wealth. Heck, even Star Trek, where money has been done away with and everyone has what they need... there's still disparate treatment based on status.

Wealth and Power appears to be inseparable.

It has always been status and power that are related. Status confers power. In the modern world, for the most part, wealth confers status... and therefore power. But even in the early days of communist russia, there were those with more power, as a result of having higher status... even if they didn't necessarily have more wealth. Heck, even Star Trek, where money has been done away with and everyone has what they need... there's still disparate treatment based on status.

But those without money, connections or political position or power are not likely to get either without wealth....generally speaking, of course there are exceptions. Star Trek represents an ideal, ability and skill as currency and means to power in society. Other societies, established oligarchies, nepotism, etc...

It should be noted that the anarchist is a red anarchist and not a yellow anarchist. For those who know the color schema of anarchism, that is important.

As for potato, that is an internet slang.

It looks like a Yukon Gold anarchist.

That's kind of a given. The devil is in the details. We have widely varied definitions of what is a fair and equitable society.

Yea, that's the problem. We all have different ideas on what is fair and equitable. Therefore, we should strive to help people up; and allow people to have choices.

That's kind of a given. The devil is in the details. We have widely varied definitions of what is a fair and equitable society.

There lies the problem. Someone who is super rich may believe that their great wealth is fair and equitable because they earned it through talent and hard work.

There lies the problem. Someone who is super rich may believe that their great wealth is fair and equitable because they earned it through talent and hard work.

As could many who are merely well off and moderately successful. And in many ways quite rightly. And it's the American dream. Personally, I think I prefer the Scandinavian dream. Capitalism, but with a social side. Not perfect, just a somewhat better dream imo.

As could many who are merely well off and moderately successful. And in many ways quite rightly. And it's the American dream. Personally, I think I prefer the Scandinavian dream. Capitalism, but with a social side. Not perfect, just a somewhat better dream imo.

For sure...but well off and moderately successful is not even remotely in the class of the super rich, the top 1% who possess a large proportion of the wealth of nations.

You mean power and wealth, not wealth and power.

With wealth comes power, which is why I said wealth and power.

With power comes wealth, taken from those who create wealth, which is why I say power and wealth.

View attachment 29002

It should read "I'm going to make a law to throw you in jail, because what you're doing is evil."
For example, misconduct in the banking sector: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal...uperannuation_and_Financial_Services_Industry

Of course, in reality the relationship is entirely different. In the real world, the businessman gives money to the politician as campaign contributions, and then threatens to take those payments away if the politician threatens the businessman's interests. That's why corporations donate to both sides in political contests.

The cartoon seems to suggest that politicians use the threat of legislation to extort money from businessmen.

Back
Top Bottom