• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Essential Gear for Storming Area 51

I strongly suspect there will be other water-sellers out there, though--those of us with hiking experience see the fools all the time, woefully unprepared for what they are getting into. These Area 51 idiots are probably going to be even worse.
I dunno... The militia take-over in Oregon were the ones who didn't think to bring snacks. I feel confident the Class of '51 will have coolers at the least.

I strongly suspect that many of the stormers are not going to bring something that's essential--plenty of water. If enough people show up I expect deaths because search and rescue will be overwhelmed. There's a lot of hot desert between the boundary and anything of interest and most of these fools won't have any idea of how fast you go through water under those conditions.

If I lived closer I would be sorely tempted to head over there, hike in a couple of miles and sit there selling bottled water at high prices.

Then another must is cash - lots of cash. in case we need to buy your water? Or ... do you take credit cards?

Note that I said "If I lived closer". The closest legal spot I can find on the map is 3 hours from here. (And I would say it's at least 20 miles from that point to the facility itself. Open Street Map doesn't show a scale and Google shows those roads so faintly--and doesn't show the boundary--that I can't really match it up well.) I strongly suspect there will be other water-sellers out there, though--those of us with hiking experience see the fools all the time, woefully unprepared for what they are getting into. These Area 51 idiots are probably going to be even worse.

My (former) Company makes and sells trauma kits (which have many many documented saves), and also survival kits, which I doubt have saved any lives at all. I always wanted to put "hydration pills" in the survival kits. Actually, sugar pills with bold lettered instruction "JUST ADD WATER". In fact, the most useful component of most of those kits - in terms of size, weight and cost - are water purification tablets, either chlorine dioxide or iodine tablets. But they're useless too, if you don't have at least some tainted water to purify. A skilled survivalist can make fire under a wide range of conditions, but making water in the middle of a desert is a tall order...

Maybe just a driver's license and an updated will. That way the Man can ID the body after it is cut down by gunfire and the surviving family members have a clear cut idea of who inherits the tinfoil hats, the VPN account and the Bigfoot pictures.

I strongly suspect there will be other water-sellers out there, though--those of us with hiking experience see the fools all the time, woefully unprepared for what they are getting into. These Area 51 idiots are probably going to be even worse.
I dunno... The militia take-over in Oregon were the ones who didn't think to bring snacks. I feel confident the Class of '51 will have coolers at the least.

Those who understand how to be safe out there will take a look at the map and conclude they shouldn't try--to do this (in and back out) in one day is in the ultramarathon range--but ultramarathoners don't have to pack all their water in. Thus it will be almost all people who don't know what they're getting into and no doubt some people selling stuff (who very well might know what the terrain is like but don't care because they aren't going very far.)

My (former) Company makes and sells trauma kits (which have many many documented saves), and also survival kits, which I doubt have saved any lives at all. I always wanted to put "hydration pills" in the survival kits. Actually, sugar pills with bold lettered instruction "JUST ADD WATER". In fact, the most useful component of most of those kits - in terms of size, weight and cost - are water purification tablets, either chlorine dioxide or iodine tablets. But they're useless too, if you don't have at least some tainted water to purify. A skilled survivalist can make fire under a wide range of conditions, but making water in the middle of a desert is a tall order...

Yup. Around here there is very little to put in a survival kit. There are no purification pills in my pack because I figure there will be no water. We had a very snowy winter, we still have snow on our mountain but on a day hike the savings from using what little is out there wouldn't be much. I also don't carry one of the ten essentials--fire--because I figure any situation in which I felt the need of it would also be a situation where it was insanely dangerous. The real survival item is a PLB, SPOT or InReach!

You say iodine tablets--can you still get those? I thought they were a victim of the war on meth.

66815586_2504460136508693_6861481242026573824_n.jpg

Yup. Around here there is very little to put in a survival kit. There are no purification pills in my pack because I figure there will be no water. We had a very snowy winter, we still have snow on our mountain but on a day hike the savings from using what little is out there wouldn't be much. I also don't carry one of the ten essentials--fire--because I figure any situation in which I felt the need of it would also be a situation where it was insanely dangerous. The real survival item is a PLB, SPOT or InReach!

You say iodine tablets--can you still get those? I thought they were a victim of the war on meth.

Yeah, you can still get them.

I wouldn't pay the extra $4 for the "plus" (neutralizer) because it's just ascorbic acid; any vitamin C tablet or powder will do it just as well.

The revolution will not be televised and we need snacks!

Back
Top Bottom