• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Europe submits voluntarily

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tabloids are Tabloids and in their own groups pass round awards for investigative journalism, but sometimes really bottom-feeding.

No doubt; but the British Press Awards does not appear to be just a group of tabloids giving awards to tabloids.

National Newspaper of the Year

1993 The Daily Telegraph[22]
1994 Daily Mail[22]
1995 Daily Mail[22]
1996 The Daily Telegraph[22]
1997 Daily Mail[22]
1998 The Guardian[22]
1999 The Sunday Telegraph[22]
2000 Daily Mail[23]
2001 The Daily Mirror[23]
2002 Daily Mail[23]
2003 The Independent[23]
2004 News of the World[23]
2005 The Guardian[23]
2006 The Observer[23] (see British Press Awards 2006)
2007 Financial Times[23]
2008 The Times[23]
2009 The Daily Telegraph[24]
2010 The Guardian[25]
2011 The Daily Mail[26]
2012 The Times[27]
2013 The Guardian[28]
2014 The Times[29]
2015 The Mail on Sunday [30]
2016 The Daily Mail [31]

The fact that tabloids are able to be awarded this prize tells us something about the prize. Nobody expects a tabloid to be honest. It's not their job. If demands of honesty was a factor for this prize, no tabloid could possibly win. So it obviously wasn't. It's about something else. So what could it be?

Let's look at the motivations for the winners:
http://www.pressawards.org.uk/page-view.php?pagename=winner-citations

This prize is for story telling, getting exclusives and bravery. It's not about honesty. It's awarded for a well executed art of journalism. Pretty vague. I also get the impression that it's not so much a prize for effort, as much as just an excuse to hold a big gala and have a big party once a year. The motivations are all over the place.

I don't think this prize proves what you think it does.

I realize I'm being a bit impatient, but it has been almost 2 years since (according to this thread) Europe submitted.

So shouldn't there be at least a little bit of a caliphate by now?

They misrepresented what happened. They made minor incidents into something it wasn't. We've discussed three different Swedish riots here. So I'm not sure which one you're thinking of specifically. But they misrepresented all of them. As tabloids do.

edit: In the last Rinkeby riot the source for the Daily Mail article was a Swedish tabloid (Aftonbladet). A tabloid is a tabloid everywhere. I wonder why they didn't use a more trustworthy source?

Riots in the Stockholm suburb Trump mentioned in speech | Daily Mail Online

That is the Daily Mail article about a riot mentioned here.

What specifically did they report that was false?

We've already discussed this at length. Several times. Nothing has changed. Tabloids wrote about a riot. Mainstream press wrote about police incompetence agravating a minor incident.

I realize I'm being a bit impatient, but it has been almost 2 years since (according to this thread) Europe submitted.

A watched pot never boils. ;)

<Yet another red herring on the qualities of tabloids snipped>

Anyhoo... the quoted bit tells me that you've understood the problem. I hope it will eventually sink in, and why DM will never be a reliable source with which to support a claim.
Excuse me? "Sink in"?!? Quote me citing the DM as a source for a claim. Yet again you are talking as though the topic in dispute is the DM's merit. I disproved your false claim about the DM not to defend it but rather as a lemma in a refutation of your anti-TSwizzle libel.

Feel free to lecture TSwizzle to your heart's content about the unwisdom of his habitually using DM articles as sources for his claims. But the fact that he evidently does not share your contempt for the DM does not entitle you to call him a liar.

I have nothing new to add I haven't said before.

Riots in the Stockholm suburb Trump mentioned in speech | Daily Mail Online

That is the Daily Mail article about a riot mentioned here.

What specifically did they report that was false?

We've already discussed this at length. Several times. Nothing has changed. Tabloids wrote about a riot. Mainstream press wrote about police incompetence agravating a minor incident.

The BBC also described it as a riot.

Sweden probes riot in mainly immigrant Stockholm suburb - BBC News

It's a work in progress;

Gothenburg is where much of the recruitment for jihad is taking place. With a population of just over half a million, this port city and former industrial powerhouse has seen at least 100 men and women leave to join militants fighting for the proclaimed caliphate. It's one of Sweden's most diverse cities. A third of the population are from immigrant backgrounds, many of them Muslim, and in the north-eastern suburb of Angered, the proportion rises to more than 70%. Angered has become a tough area to police. Parts of it are classified as "vulnerable", which in Swedish police terminology indicates a breakdown of law and order, among other things, and the emergence of a parallel society. I am told that religious enforcers attempt to control the community to ensure Sharia law is adhered to. They allegedly harass and intimidate people - mainly women - for the way they dress and for attending parties where there is music and dancing, which they consider haram. Meanwhile, two-thirds of children have dropped out of school by the time they are 15, and unemployment is 11% - high by Swedish standards. It's these vulnerable young people that the extremists target.

DailyMail - Just kidding !! It's a BBC article

The BBC also described it as a riot.

Sweden probes riot in mainly immigrant Stockholm suburb - BBC News

This one just lists exactly what happened, with necessary background. Compare it to the Daily Mail article. The emphasis is completely different.

It's a work in progress;

Gothenburg is where much of the recruitment for jihad is taking place. With a population of just over half a million, this port city and former industrial powerhouse has seen at least 100 men and women leave to join militants fighting for the proclaimed caliphate. It's one of Sweden's most diverse cities. A third of the population are from immigrant backgrounds, many of them Muslim, and in the north-eastern suburb of Angered, the proportion rises to more than 70%. Angered has become a tough area to police. Parts of it are classified as "vulnerable", which in Swedish police terminology indicates a breakdown of law and order, among other things, and the emergence of a parallel society. I am told that religious enforcers attempt to control the community to ensure Sharia law is adhered to. They allegedly harass and intimidate people - mainly women - for the way they dress and for attending parties where there is music and dancing, which they consider haram. Meanwhile, two-thirds of children have dropped out of school by the time they are 15, and unemployment is 11% - high by Swedish standards. It's these vulnerable young people that the extremists target.

What you don't seem to realise is that hardly anybody is denying that this is going on. What sets me apart from people living in tabloid land is the magnitude of the problem. To people in tabloid land we're edging toward a caliphate and we have to start fighting for the existence of our western values before it's too late. There's a cost to being hysterical. It leads to extreme measures that won't solve the underlying problems. More likely it'll just make the world more unstable.

There's a tiny minority of Muslim immigrants who are attracted by Islamic jihad. Of all the social problems we have today, this is pretty fucking far from our biggest worry. The attention the "threat" from Muslims get is out of all proportion.

Give it time! After all 43% of Muslims in England want Sharia law.
In less than 50 years, white Europeans will be a minority on the continent!

Ah yes, respond to an accusation of racism by slinging an insult made up by cowardly racist chickenshits who congregate in alt right websites trying to convince each other that's not what they are. Smooth.

Why is "cuck" an insult?

A cuckold is a guy who gets off on watching his wife have sex with other men. Some of my friends are swingers and they love watching their spouses with others. Why is that sort of kink bad?

Or a cuckold is a guy who raises the genetic child of another man. Why is that bad? Is it suddenly wrong to date and marry single mothers?

So you mean self-hatred or shame for being what you are? Again, why the word "Cuck"? Cuckoldry isn't self hatred.

I agree that hating yourself for being white/black/christian/muslim/gay/cis/trans/whatever is stupid and has become an issue in modern society, but when you call it "cuck" I have to question where that is coming from.

It seems to assume a sort of sexual dominance and ownership ideology; that sharing your sexual partner is wrong, or some sort of genetic superiority complex; that raising a child that is not your DNA (or is maybe not the same race) is wrong etc. It seems to indicate a sort of bigotry or intolerance either way. And that really isn't needed to point out self-hating male feminists, etc. The use of the word "cuck" really just makes you look more like a bigot than like a rational person concerned with self-destructive self-hating people. You know the regressive PC brigade is going to want to paint you as a bigot, and by using this term you are only helping them do so.

It's a work in progress;

Instead of just quoting the text which supports your claim, maybe you should read the whole article.

It doesn't say that a mini-caliphate is under construction in Sweden. A very small number of people - second generation "non-ethnic Swedes" who are having trouble assimilating - are leaving Sweden to go fight for the Islamic State.

The area referenced in your quote above, Angered, has become "tough to police" in part because:

Ulf Bostrom, a veteran Gothenburg policeman who has become Sweden's only "integration officer", puts part of the blame for the problems the city now faces on police cutbacks.

"We have lost more than 50% of the policemen working in uniform in the different areas - 50%," he says. "You can see for yourself. How many policemen have you seen during your time here in the areas you have been to? Have you seen any?" No, I reply.

So what's happening isn't that IS is ever so slowly taking over Sweden, but that in one area of one city dealing (poorly) with an influx of refugees, a relatively very few people are heeding the message of "fuck this Sweden place, let's go back to the Middle East and join a jihad."

You mean cuck is supposed to be bigoted? No way!

This one just lists exactly what happened, with necessary background. Compare it to the Daily Mail article. The emphasis is completely different.

I have compared and don't see a big difference. You keep answering with generalities. What exactly is in the DM that you would say is unfair and that's not in the BBC one? If anything, the BBC focuses more on problems from immigration. The only significant claim I see in the DM not in the BBC one is that Rinkeby is 75 percent immigrants. But that number may even be low (stupid DM), since Wiki says 89% in 2007. And here's an article from 1998 talking about the Rinkeby immigration issue which says it was more than 80% then. A Swedish Dilemma: The Immigrant Ghetto - The New York Times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom