• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

European Parliament elections

PR can introduce instability
- Italy has had 69 governments since WW2. Average of 1 every 1.2 years (1 year, 2.5 months). Hardly conducive to good governance.
- Israel has been riven for years now and this instability is not helping the current situation
I would say these instabilities are more reflective of the divisions in the society than reflective of the PR system itself.
And FPTP can introduce artificial majorities. For example, in the last UK election, Tories got 43.6% of the vote, a minority, but 56% of the seats. Liberal Democrats increased their vote share from 7.4 to 11.6%, but actually lost a seat. 11/650 seats is also <2% of the seats.
This is a good example how FPTP grossly distorts election results.
There are also ways to reduce the susceptibility of PR to having too many factions. Germany, wanting to prevent the instability of the Weimar Republic, introduced the 5% threshold for a party to move into the Bundestag, the lower house of the parliament. This prevents tiny parties from moving in with a seat or two, but it is not a hurdle that is too high for a reasonably popular party.
PR certainly has some advantages over FPTP but it is not the panacea that many of its proponents claim of it.
PR has many advantages over FPTP, but nothing is a panacea.
Also, if we were to implement PR in elections to the House of Representatives, there is no need to implement the full parliamentary system with prime minister as head of government elected by the parliament. We can maintain the presidential system, which will lead to stability. There would be no need for coalitions in the sense of parliamentary system. Alliances could be formed on a bill by bill basis. Unlike in a parliamentary system, the ruling government could not get anything it wants through the parliament (maintaining checks and balances) but unlike now, a single party could not block any legislation either.

Such geographical distributions are sometimes exploited: gerrymandering. Even without that, many US Congressional elections are no longer competitive, due to many districts having mainly Democratic or Republican voters -- voters who are unwilling to vote for a Republican or a Democrat, respectively.
Indeed. And Tigers! first mentioned strength of extremist parties as a point against PR.
But the combination of safe districts (either natural or through gerrymandering), partisan primaries (especially low turnout ones) and the tendency of "winner take all" nature of single district elections (including FPTP) to amplify rather than accurately reflect the choices voters make leads to a lot of extremism.
MTG is a product of FTPT, as are Sgt. Sandy and her squadmates.

A thread on what's happening in the new election in France.

I don't get the people talking about the "Far Right" winning in Europe. Isn't what is "Right" in Europe "Center" in the United States?
Jason, Jason
You are called far-right if you have the temerity to disagree with the latest fad that is being expounded.
I have no idea what that means, and I suspect you don't too.

Back
Top Bottom