• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Everything is racist.

Metaphor

Banned
Banned
Disliking a culture or religion is racist.

Taylor Swift is racist.

White people eating Chinese food without being subjected to a lecture about the food's origins is cultural appropriation.

The last I especially savor because I used to ask why White people eating Chinese food wasn't 'cultural appropriation'. But now I know it is!

From the article:
How many times has a pro-booing commentator come out this week saying the booing isn't racist because people are just fed up with Goodes "displaying his Indigenous heritage" and they find his "war dance" confronting? It's incredible.
I agree with the author that these excuses are bullshit.

I have the misfortune of listening to FiveAA Adelaide several times a week, and there was a week where people were ringing up with all sorts of excuses for why they were booing Goodes. They said the war dance was unnecessary; they said he is a bad man for 'intimidating' a 13-year-old girl (who called him an ape); they said he is unsportsmanlike player; they said that he is a whinger; they claimed he is an undeserving recipient of Australian of the Year; and so on.

One of the hosts pointed out that none of their excuses provide a sufficient reason for the exceptional amount of booing that Goodes received, even during warmups. People hate his guts; they imagine him to be a much worse person than he evidently is, and while it would be too simple to say that they hate him because he's an Aboriginal man, it is also no coincidence that the hate started pouring on after this incident:

[YOUTUBE]Ja6e-n_xszA[/YOUTUBE]

His comments, and the reason why people think he is a sook:
[YOUTUBE]XyrbUiJCkVw[/YOUTUBE]

And here's the imaginary spear that is causing people to lose their minds:
[YOUTUBE]32PZWtjbtq0[/YOUTUBE]

What kind of overgrown child gets upset by a war dance? Do these people start foaming at the mouth when the New Zealand All Blacks perform the haka?

Taylor Swift is racist.
Pretty much every article Hamad writes is facepalm-worthy. Responding to her comments is the equivalent of responding to the likes of Jones or Bolt; the only difference is that Hamad has a different political alignment.

The problem with both sides is that the are very good at expressing outrage and indignation, and provoking the same in their sympathetic audience, but they are hopeless when it comes to arguing their position. This is because their objective, if any, is to be the reaffirm the feelings that people hold, not to change anyone's mind.

The right wing commentators like Bolt and Jones have been spewing their bile in the mainstream for so long that it's all a bit humdrum. Left wing commentators like Hamad don't get as much mainstream exposure so one can still be surprised by the deep, deep stupidity of some people on the left.

White people eating Chinese food without being subjected to a lecture about the food's origins is cultural appropriation.

The last I especially savor because I used to ask why White people eating Chinese food wasn't 'cultural appropriation'. But now I know it is!
I thought that article was relatively well-written.

Only the title was worthy of an eye-roll, and as I understand it the editor is usually responsible for that. Glancing at their front page, ost of Daily Life's articles have titles intended to inflame one's moral outrage, and of course, click.

Only the title was worthy of an eye-roll, and as I understand it the editor is usually responsible for that. Glancing at their front page, ost of Daily Life's articles have titles intended to inflame one's moral outrage, and of course, click.

The author didn't invent the foods she is talking about, neither did her father. She has no greater moral claim on it than anyone else.

If she wants to find out about the 'cultural origins' of everything she puts in her mouth, good luck to her.

Some people just want to eat.

I don't necessarily agree with the author's opinions on how we should treat the cultural origins of our food or how westerners are cheapening food from other cultures or making it worse. In fact, on that last bit I'm pretty sure they're full of shit. I watched an entertaining video a while back that I can't find just now; where they made 2nd and third generation chinese-americans eat chinese food from US restaurants and what not... and a lot of them got this rather superior attitude about how "this isn't Chinese food", "this is horrible", etc etc. Then, they made the first generation immigrants who were actually born in China eat the same food, and they were all like; "yeah, this is good. This is like what we ate back home."

So it seems to be more of an identity thing among people who are struggling to identify themselves because they're stuck between different cultures (like the author), rather than something genuinely true about the food or how we should treat it.

Taken in that context, the article is much more interesting as a look into what it was like growing up for them in a society where they're made to hate their heritage and how they reacts to society coming to love the things they used to make them hate themselves for, rather than anything to do with the food itself.

The author didn't invent the foods she is talking about, neither did her father. She has no greater moral claim on it than anyone else.

If she wants to find out about the 'cultural origins' of everything she puts in her mouth, good luck to her.

I don't think Lam was attacking the everyman who just wants to eat things that are tasty, but rather those people and businesses that are interested in maintaining an image of worldliness: trendy restaurants and pretentious foodies.

I don't think Lam was attacking the everyman who just wants to eat things that are tasty, but rather those people and businesses that are interested in maintaining an image of worldliness: trendy restaurants and pretentious foodies.

She's adding a 'cultural appropriation' angle in an attempt to morally shame them, as if it were these 'pretentious foodies' that carry the sin of telling her childhood self that her house smelled of 'Chinese grossness'.

I don't necessarily agree with the author's opinions on how we should treat the cultural origins of our food or how westerners are cheapening food from other cultures or making it worse. In fact, on that last bit I'm pretty sure they're full of shit. I watched an entertaining video a while back that I can't find just now; where they made 2nd and third generation chinese-americans eat chinese food from US restaurants and what not... and a lot of them got this rather superior attitude about how "this isn't Chinese food", "this is horrible", etc etc. Then, they made the first generation immigrants who were actually born in China eat the same food, and they were all like; "yeah, this is good. This is like what we ate back home."

So it seems to be more of an identity thing among people who are struggling to identify themselves because they're stuck between different cultures (like the author), rather than something genuinely true about the food or how we should treat it.

Pretentious ramblings about 'authenticity' ought to come with a trigger warning, and it's everywhere.

But in the end, the market will cater to people's actual preferences.

She's adding a 'cultural appropriation' angle in an attempt to morally shame them, as if it were these 'pretentious foodies' that carry the sin of telling her childhood self that her house smelled of 'Chinese grossness'.

I didn't interpret it that way. Rather, the act of attempting to appear worldly by eating ethnic food is deserving of ridicule, especially from the point of view of someone who grew up with those ethnic foods as family staples. It's ironic that two people in the same city can eat the same food, and one considers it worldly while the other considers it homely.

Taylor Swift is racist.

Calling things racist is racist. :mad:

You are all a bunch of racists and there is nothing you can do about it because of your privilege. I recommend self-flagellation.

Taylor Swift is racist.

This post is racist.

Calling things racist is racist. :mad:
I think what you just said was...

..oh... it's been done.

The earlier poster benefitted from white privilege and that's what allowed him to post first.

You, on the other hand, were hampered by the feminazi oppression of the white male and that caused a delay in your posting.

I've grown so tired of people complaining about "reverse racism" over everything, that I can't be bothered to check to see if the latest bruh ha ha is over racism, racial insensitivity, or nothing at all. The people that seem to be upset the most over racism are the racists.

I've grown so tired of people complaining about "reverse racism" over everything, that I can't be bothered to check to see if the latest bruh ha ha is over racism, racial insensitivity, or nothing at all. The people that seem to be upset the most over racism are the racists.

And the victims of racism, of course.

That's reverse racist!

And the victims of racism, of course.
Naw, go online and you'll find that racists are generally the ones complaining about racism.

I hate Obama, but I guess that means I must be racist.

They bring it up all the fucking time.

That is not what the article claims. It claims that racists use that as ploy to hide their racism, not that the claim is necessarily racist.
Taylor Swift is racist.
No one in that article made that claim. From what I can tell, the critics said it was insensitive or wrong, not racist.
Again, this is not what the article claimed (although it is the closest summary in this OP). I believe the argument that author makes is that ethnic food served out of context is a form of cultural appropriation.

Naw, go online and you'll find that racists are generally the ones complaining about racism.

I hate Obama, but I guess that means I must be racist.

They bring it up all the fucking time.
According to your logic Athena would be the biggest racist on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom