• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Evidence for the great age of the Universe

Where'd we land on the eternal universe? Did it have a beginning or is it eternal?

It is eternally beginning. Every moment is a new beginning...can't help myself it just comes out.

Compared to Creator, the created universe is young.

We know nothing about the existence of a Creator of our Universe. We only have evidence for the existence of the Universe.

Why are you speaking in the third person? Are you demon-possessed?
COME OUT !!!!! I rebuke ye demons.
Let DBT speak for himself!

Another misinterpretation.

What I said doesn't refer to me personally. My use of ''we'' refers to the human race..... ''we'' as a species.

And yeah, I know that there are people who claim to have evidence for the existence of a Creator, the existence of deities, but where is the evidence they claim to have? What it says in the Bible? The Quran? The Gita? Is that the evidence?

Compared to Creator, the created universe is young.

Yeah, the Creator is what....7 or 8 thousand years old? That's way older than if you add up all the "begats" in the Bible.

What I said doesn't refer to me personally. My use of ''we'' refers to the human race..... ''we'' as a species.

And yeah, I know that there are people who claim to have evidence for the existence of a Creator, the existence of deities, but where is the evidence they claim to have? What it says in the Bible? The Quran? The Gita? Is that the evidence?

We all know there is tons of evidence which falsifies atheism.

That's absurd. Do you really think that there is "tons of evidence" that falsifies the fact that many people hold no belief in gods?

I shouldn't have to say it but...
Atheism - the belief with respect to the existence of God(s)
Atheist - the person holding said belief.

I shouldn't have to say it but...
Atheism - the belief with respect to the existence of God(s)
Atheist - the person holding said belief.

You shouldn't say it. Not for the reason you believe, but because it is wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

One example will do for a start. Thank you.

I'll collect a list of age measures, both primary terrestrial and celestial. All are in years.
  • Dendrochronology: 11,700
  • GAIA parallax -- measurement-error distance (Data Release 2): 80,000
  • GAIA parallax -- measurement-error distance (projected): 150,000
  • Ice layering: 145,000
  • Supernova 1987A light echoes: 160,000
  • Fission track dating: 700,000
  • Milankovitch astronomical cycles: 23,030,000
  • NGC 4258 water maser: 24,000,000
  • Sedimentary varves: 20,000,000
  • Cepheid-variable limit: 50,000,000
  • Baptistina asteroid family: 80,000,000
  • Galaxy surface-brightness fluctuations: 300,000,000
  • Helioseismology: 4,460,000,000
  • Radioactive decay: 4,540,000,000
  • Type Ia supernovae: 8,000,000,000
  • Globular clusters: >10,000,000,000
  • Cosmological modeling: 13,800,000,000

Here are the earliest events in our Universe that have left details of them. For each of them is the time since the inflation era.
  • Cosmic microwave background - recombination: 380,000 years
  • Lightest nuclides - nucleosynthesis: 1000 seconds
  • Primordial fluctuations - cosmic inflation: 10^(-36) seconds (timescale)
The CMB is our observation of the farthest observable event, cosmic recombination. It happened everywhere, but what we see of it was what had happened far enough away for its light to reach us without passing us by.

If one could observe primordial neutrinos, then one could observe to about 380,000 years earlier, to about 1 second after the end of cosmic inflation. Likewise, if one could observe primordial gravitational waves, either directly or as imprints on the CMB, one would go all the way to that event.

Primordial nucleosynthesis took protons and neutrons from earlier in the Universe's history and made deuterium (hydrogen-2), helium-3, helium-4, and lithium-7. Leftover protons became protium, hydrogen-1.

Cosmic inflation was a very early period of exponential expansion, and it had an expansion timescale of roughly 10^(-36) seconds. It took about 60 e-foldings to produce the volume of the observable Universe, and it likely continued for more than that.

Quantum-mechanical fluctuations got frozen into the Universe as they got stretched to more than the horizon size. These fluctuations produced primordial density fluctuations and primordial gravitational waves. The density fluctuations' existence is well-established, but the gravitational waves have yet to be convincingly observed. There was a false alarm about them a few years ago with the BICEP2 telescope's results. So those fluctuations are the oldest Universe details that we have been able to find evidence of.

Back
Top Bottom