• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Exposing Atheistic Myths

One common atheistic myth is that, "Things can exist without a cause! Radioactive decay has no cause!" Of course, this is a lie..... Anyone want to try to stump me?
If this is a 'common' atheist myth, can you find ten atheists making this exact claim?

Well, it's actually two claims, but whatever. If it's 'common' that should not be difficult to show.

One common atheistic myth is that, "Things can exist without a cause! Radioactive decay has no cause!" Of course, this is a lie..... Anyone want to try to stump me?
If this is a 'common' atheist myth, can you find ten atheists making this exact claim?

Well, it's actually two claims, but whatever. If it's 'common' that should not be difficult to show.
This is why I like web boards. It helps inform me about the beliefs I'm supposed to have.

Keith, when it is pointed out that God is eternal with no cause, many atheists have clapped back at me, "Radioactive decay has no cause!" as a way to "prove" things other than God can have no cause. But, doing a quick 5 second google search quickly reveals that radioactive decay DOES have a cause.

Atheists pushing propaganda? I am shocked.

Because it is pointed out by atheists that the universe has always existed. This is impossible because the universe has a finite amount of energy and will run out. If it was infinite, it would've run out already.

What prevents God from running out of energy?

God is pure immaterial spirit outside of the universe. This is what makes Him the True God. Other gods were finite such as the greek gods. God Himself came along and said "I am" which implies no beginning and no end.

There is no energy that sustains God. It is just God.

Might take a while to wrap your head around it.

What happened to Halfie? I was looking forward to learning more of what this particular theist thought were 'atheistic' myths.

I am one man against hundreds. You may think of me as Rambo, and I appreciate the compliment, but it is very hard to keep up as one man.

Intellectually lazy.
Says the guy who read a headline about a survey and reported 'a study has shown.'

Says the guy who claimed Jesus said that samesex marriage is a sin.

Keith, we've been over this.

You personally said that since Jesus did not condemn same sex marriage, this means he is for it.

And I have personally said that since Jesus did not endorse same sex marriage, this means he is against it.

This is the last time I will address this topic. We have different beliefs about this, which coincide with our biases.

I think first of all, Halfie would have to explain why he thinks these are 'atheistic' myths?

Atheists are a very small fraction of the population. Nowhere near enough people or with enough clout to swing the consensus of any branch of science one way or another just based on ideology.
So, cosmology, biology, geology, all have mainstream theories that are accepted by the experts, whether those experts are atheists or theists, BECAUSE THEY HAVE EXAMINED THE EVIDENCE FOR THE CLAIMS.

The professional theists just don't try to use 'gods' in their examination and explanation of 'What Happened.'

And the professional atheists don't go home at night and ponder how a new discovery fits into their theology.

So, to expose an atheist myth, Halfie would first have to IDENTIFY an atheist myth.
"Science which can be explained without invoking a skybeast" is not atheistic. It's just 'science.'

And halfie lacks the chops to actually disprove science. He's yet to show that he even understands it.

That is where you have it wrong. Science has never proven that no God is required. They have merely said, "We can't tell if God exists." There's a subtle difference, Keith. It is my belief that none of this stuff you guys study would even be possible without God. Science just assume it's possible without God. But, assumptions are not proof. They are beliefs, just like my belief.

I think first of all, Halfie would have to explain why he thinks these are 'atheistic' myths?

Atheists are a very small fraction of the population. Nowhere near enough people or with enough clout to swing the consensus of any branch of science one way or another just based on ideology.
So, cosmology, biology, geology, all have mainstream theories that are accepted by the experts, whether those experts are atheists or theists, BECAUSE THEY HAVE EXAMINED THE EVIDENCE FOR THE CLAIMS.

The professional theists just don't try to use 'gods' in their examination and explanation of 'What Happened.'

And the professional atheists don't go home at night and ponder how a new discovery fits into their theology.

So, to expose an atheist myth, Halfie would first have to IDENTIFY an atheist myth.
"Science which can be explained without invoking a skybeast" is not atheistic. It's just 'science.'

And halfie lacks the chops to actually disprove science. He's yet to show that he even understands it.

That is where you have it wrong. Science has never proven that no God is required. They have merely said, "We can't tell if God exists." There's a subtle difference, Keith. It is my belief that none of this stuff you guys study would even be possible without God. Science just assume it's possible without God. But, assumptions are not proof. They are beliefs, just like my belief.
Science has never tried to prove that there is no god. Science has just never seen a case where a god was necessary (or even reasonable) to describe some event. - - Occam's razor.

Because it is pointed out by atheists that the universe has always existed. This is impossible because the universe has a finite amount of energy and will run out. If it was infinite, it would've run out already.

What prevents God from running out of energy?

God is pure immaterial spirit outside of the universe. This is what makes Him the True God. Other gods were finite such as the greek gods. God Himself came along and said "I am" which implies no beginning and no end.

There is no energy that sustains God. It is just God.

Might take a while to wrap your head around it.

Prove it! We need more than just your words.

1. Explain what you mean by "pure immaterial spirit", and how it differs from matter/energy.
  2. Explain how your god is able to defy the arrow of time.
  3. Explain how we can go about confirming for ourselves that "pure immaterial spirits" exist, and how we can quantify its effects.

You can't do any of these things because you are making up shit. And you know it just as well as I do. Shame on you.

Science has never tried to prove that there is no god. Science has just never seen a case where a god was necessary (or even reasonable) to describe some event. - - Occam's razor.

But, that is not the same as saying "God is not necessary." One can NEVER prove this beyond a reasonable doubt.

Wrong again. While science can say nothing about the supernatural, it can be used to test for the effects of the supernatural on our everyday lives. To date, pertaining to any area that has been the subject of scientific inquiry, science has never concluded that a phenomenon has to have a supernatural origin. Never! Not in a single instance! In other words, if your god exists, it is powerless to have any perceptible effect on our lives. Which would be exactly like a god that doesn't exist.

Ignorance can be cured. But you have to be willing to work at it.

But, that is not the same as saying "God is not necessary." One can NEVER prove this beyond a reasonable doubt.
You edited out half of that statement. The last half of that sentence was, "... to describe some event."

If you throw god into a description of some event then you only create much more difficult questions. "How do we confirm that there is a god?","What did god do?", "How did god do it?", etc. None of these questions arise if the event is fully described without the need to appeal to magic.

Atheism comes down to this: Show there's a god or there's no good reason to believe it.

That's all. There's nothing more to it.

Without an incontrovertible reason to believe, the rational response is to withhold belief.

In this thread, I will be exposing common atheistic myths. Anyone want to try to stump me?

The "radioactive decay has no cause" thing certainly isn't common. You have a good assortment of atheists here, so common myths shouldn't be drawing "huh?" responses like that one did. Find at least one actually COMMON myth to expose.

Keith, when it is pointed out that God is eternal with no cause, many atheists have clapped back at me, "Radioactive decay has no cause!" as a way to "prove" things other than God can have no cause.
i did ask for evidence. Not you saying 'many people have told me.' I mean, really. I don't believe the fucking PRESIDENT when he attributes his bullshit to invisible, nameless people in unsourced conversations.
You say it's a common atheist myth. Not a mistake some people have made.
So. Prove this is a common atheist myth, then.
But, doing a quick 5 second google search quickly reveals that radioactive decay DOES have a cause.
'kay.
Atheists pushing propaganda? I am shocked.
so, you're just uere to troll the board some more. Shocked, as you say.

Intellectually lazy.
Says the guy who read a headline about a survey and reported 'a study has shown.'

Says the guy who claimed Jesus said that samesex marriage is a sin.

Keith, we've been over this.

You personally said that since Jesus did not condemn same sex marriage, this means he is for it.
No, i did not say yhat. This is a lie, Half.
I asked you to prove your claim. You could not.
I said your claim was false, and it was.
And I have personally said that since Jesus did not endorse same sex marriage, this means he is against it.
But your original (false) claim was that JESUS SAID IT IS A SIN!
According to you, this was important for supporting the Christain attitude towards SSM.

But it was a claim you could not support.
So your justification of Christain bigotry fails.
And now you move the goalposts, showing your intellectual credibility is shockingly low.
This is the last time I will address this topic. We have different beliefs about this, which coincide with our biases.
Of course you will run and hide from your actual failure, and pretend 'agree to disagree' is an honest summation.

You are still in no position to call others intellectually lazy.

That is where you have it wrong. Science has never proven that no God is required.
Everything science does IS science exactly because it does not require any gods in the mechanics.
They have merely said, "We can't tell if God exists." There's a subtle difference, Keith.
no, it's more that there are answers to two different questions.
It is my belief that none of this stuff you guys study would even be possible without God.
feel free to provide the slightest non-presuppositionist argument.

Well, in all the years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and fucking YEARS of science doing sciences, no scientist has EVER come to a complete halt and been forced to admit that all the research and evidence shows there is no possible explanation for something, unless we take one or more gods into account, and had that claim withstand peer review.

How many years more of science NOT NEEDING ANY GODS TO WORK do you think are required for 'a reasonable doubt?' Just ballpark it, if you can.

Wrong again. While science can say nothing about the supernatural, it can be used to test for the effects of the supernatural on our everyday lives. To date, pertaining to any area that has been the subject of scientific inquiry, science has never concluded that a phenomenon has to have a supernatural origin. Never! Not in a single instance! In other words, if your god exists, it is powerless to have any perceptible effect on our lives. Which would be exactly like a god that doesn't exist.

Ignorance can be cured. But you have to be willing to work at it.

It's worse than that for fans of the supernatural.

One of the interesting things that has fallen out of the Standard Model is that we have determined every possible interaction with matter, between a very broad range of energies. There are no unknown forces - if there were, they would have a corresponding particle, and it would have been detected by the LHC and other particle accelerators.

The ONLY unknown forces that might exist would either need to be very long-range (the graviton, for example, might exist; But it's influence is irrelevant on human scales - that is, you cannot use gravity to have an influence on a specific person in a crowd, much less to influence a specific neuron or group of neurons. So gravity isn't a possible way for a hypothetical god to place visions in the mind of a prophet, or for a hypothetical soul to be transmitted to the supernatural realm on a person's death); Or very short range - perhaps there's a force that can subtly influence quarks, that we haven't yet detected, but if so, it would have no discernible influence on an object as large as a molecule, unless so much energy was used that the resulting explosion could level a city. Humans probably can't survive a divine intervention that is that energetic.

Science hasn't disproven gods in general. But it has disproven gods that interact on scales bigger than atomic nuclei, but smaller than solar systems. And as almost all of religion is interested in the influence of god(s) on Earth and its inhabitants, science has disproven all of those parts of every god hypothesis.

There's no way to eliminate the "god of the gaps"; But the remaing gaps mean that we can eliminate, and have eliminated, gods that have any direct influence on humanity.

A deist god, that crafted a universe in extreme conditions, and has had no influence on that universe since, could still be posited without absolute certainty that it is false. But any god that hears (much less answers) prayers; any soul, or supernatural influence on our physical bodies or brains; any afterlife (or pre-birth existence of personality or "self"); all these things have been ruled out by physics.

It's over. Fortunately for the theists, the vast majority of humans don't know or understand Quantum Field Theory. But ignorance doesn't make things untrue; and it is undeniably true that QFT rules out the vast majority of the gods that humans have ever developed.

And QFT could be wrong; But only in the same sense that the Moon could be made of green cheese. It's possible that there's a massive error in QFT, and it's possible that the Apollo missions just happened to miss the outcrops of Stilton at the edge of the Sea of Tranquility.

Actually, given the relative stringency of the tests done, and the accuracy of the results, it's considerably more plausible that the Moon is made from dairy products than it is that QFT is sufficiently wrong to permit the existence of an unknown force at human scales.

There are only four forces at our scale. All four are easy to detect. If a soul or god were using any of these to affect humans, we would have detected it long ago. And as humans are made of matter, any influence that doesn't affect matter isn't relevant. So 'Dark energy' or 'Dark matter' don't help the theistic case - unless their god is only interested in objects the size of galaxies.

So not only have we never detected any supernatural influences on reality; We have positively ruled out any possibility that such influences could exist.

Back
Top Bottom