• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

"Facebook's Traffic Down 50% in Two Years" - Facebook Discussion

rousseau

Contributor
I did some searching a few nights ago and came across this article which mentioned that Facebook's traffic is down by 50% over the past two years (granted published a while back).

Shocking numbers, but I'm not too surprised. As time goes by the platform seems more hollowed out and vacuous. The overwhelming number of my good friends, and people I'd enjoy public conversation with, don't use it at all. And what's left is an overwhelming amount of content with little substance being produced by a minority of the site's users.

I can't track down the article now, but a while back I read a good piece on the site's timeline. In a nutshell it said that their engineering team built the product in such a way to make the timeline frictionless, that is to make it more socially acceptable to generate more posts, which would mean more likes, which would mean more addiction to the product. The problem became that most of the site's posts were no longer engaging, the timeline became an enormous stream of pretty-much substance-less posts, and if you did try to post something with substance it'd likely just get lost in the pile, making users even less likely to use the product. Later Facebook tried to promote posts with comments on them, but it was too little too late as the popularity of the platform continues to decline among young people. Couple that with their image problems in the press, and you have a double hit.

That's pretty much how I experience the site now. Great for notifying my family and friends of major life events - wedding, kids, job changes etc. But when I think of making an every-day post I have to wonder.. why bother.

This thread is meant to house general Facebook discussion. What do you think of it now? Do you agree with the above assessment? Do you find it useful at all?

I deleted my account a while back.

My only regret: It seems that every other person who has a side-hustle gets started by selling their product to their Facebook friends. So what's a Facebook-less guy who wants to start a side-hustle to do? (Same goes for Instagram, etc.)

And yet there are a lot of people that seem to think Facebook has a major influence on US elections. Personally I think that is bullshit and it has never been proven.

In any event, I think the platform is on the wane and if your article is even somewhat accurate it seems the evidence is out there. I have seen a couple of articles that say a similar thing, it is out of fashion with youngsters but still retains a reasonably loyal base in the older generation who like to share cat pictures or whatever. I think Facebook is a useful tool for keeping in touch with friends and families that are in far flung places or tracking down people who you have lost contact with. Other than that I don't see much use for it. I think the Russians are wasting their time with it actually.

I did some searching a few nights ago and came across this article which mentioned that Facebook's traffic is down by 50% over the past two years (granted published a while back).

Shocking numbers, but I'm not too surprised. As time goes by the platform seems more hollowed out and vacuous. The overwhelming number of my good friends, and people I'd enjoy public conversation with, don't use it at all. And what's left is an overwhelming amount of content with little substance being produced by a minority of the site's users.

I can't track down the article now, but a while back I read a good piece on the site's timeline. In a nutshell it said that their engineering team built the product in such a way to make the timeline frictionless, that is to make it more socially acceptable to generate more posts, which would mean more likes, which would mean more addiction to the product. The problem became that most of the site's posts were no longer engaging, the timeline became an enormous stream of pretty-much substance-less posts, and if you did try to post something with substance it'd likely just get lost in the pile, making users even less likely to use the product. Later Facebook tried to promote posts with comments on them, but it was too little too late as the popularity of the platform continues to decline among young people. Couple that with their image problems in the press, and you have a double hit.

That's pretty much how I experience the site now. Great for notifying my family and friends of major life events - wedding, kids, job changes etc. But when I think of making an every-day post I have to wonder.. why bother.

This thread is meant to house general Facebook discussion. What do you think of it now? Do you agree with the above assessment? Do you find it useful at all?

I think its best purpose is what it has claimed to be from the start - a way for family and friends to stay in touch and share stuff.

I deleted my account a while back.

My only regret: It seems that every other person who has a side-hustle gets started by selling their product to their Facebook friends. So what's a Facebook-less guy who wants to start a side-hustle to do? (Same goes for Instagram, etc.)

Amazon. :)

I haven't used Facebook in years, but my partner is a junkie. Or was, because she now whittles away her idle time scrolling through Instagram instead of Facebook.

Instagram is basically a distilled version of Facebook. All that's left are the banal, attention-seeking image macros and short videos.

While there are other apps offering that same kind of Skinner box (Snapchat, TikTok), I think the next big thing will hinge on improved technology. Instagram is able to make people look attractive with sophisticated filters, but it's a one-way medium. Tomorrow's apps will be able to put influencers in the room with you as if they are Pokemon, and improved tools will allow entertainers to stream live interactive content.

I haven't used Facebook in years, but my partner is a junkie. Or was, because she now whittles away her idle time scrolling through Instagram instead of Facebook.

Instagram is basically a distilled version of Facebook. All that's left are the banal, attention-seeking image macros and short videos.

While there are other apps offering that same kind of Skinner box (Snapchat, TikTok), I think the next big thing will hinge on improved technology. Instagram is able to make people look attractive with sophisticated filters, but it's a one-way medium. Tomorrow's apps will be able to put influencers in the room with you as if they are Pokemon, and improved tools will allow entertainers to stream live interactive content.

I used Instagram for a while after discovering a few old friends were active on it. It was amazing how addicting it was, and how often some people were using it (especially the story feature). Eventually I made the same conclusion as you, deleted all of my content, and deactivated my account - didn't want to spend my life that way.

I did open a new account where I follow some close family members, though, primarily so I can see my nieces, which my sister-in-law posts about on the story feature.

In these app's defense, whenever I try to do away with them completely, I invariably have way too much free time with nothing to do, so I always get sucked back in at some point.

And yet there are a lot of people that seem to think Facebook has a major influence on US elections. Personally I think that is bullshit and it has never been proven.

In any event, I think the platform is on the wane and if your article is even somewhat accurate it seems the evidence is out there. I have seen a couple of articles that say a similar thing, it is out of fashion with youngsters but still retains a reasonably loyal base in the older generation who like to share cat pictures or whatever. I think Facebook is a useful tool for keeping in touch with friends and families that are in far flung places or tracking down people who you have lost contact with. Other than that I don't see much use for it. I think the Russians are wasting their time with it actually.
Facebook is a great place to keep in contact with friends and family... without actually communicating directly with them. Facebook should be called Shoutbook, as that is all it is doing.

The biggest trouble with Facebook is they have so much access to capital, they can just buy the up and coming replacement.

I think its best purpose is what it has claimed to be from the start - a way for family and friends to stay in touch and share stuff.

Facebook is a great place to keep in contact with friends and family... without actually communicating directly with them. Facebook should be called Shoutbook, as that is all it is doing

That seems to be the crux of what keeps it going. I have ancient friends on there - from decades ago - that'd I'd completely lose touch with if I left the platform. It's one-to-many relationship is great for announcing important events.

I think the risk is getting sucked in and spending too much time staring at the feed when nothing's really happening.

My husband deleted his account a few years ago. I only visit FB to view business sites that don't have their own websites. I mostly do this to view menus or hours of business. It could be a good way to keep in touch with friends and family members but I have known too many people who ended up getting into vicious arguments about politics with family or friends who didn't share their views.

I don't know how much FB has influence politics per se, but I do know there is a lot of shit on the site that has no basis in reality and some people believe that shit. I know this because I've had people make a weird claim and when I asked them where they heard that, it was something they had read on FB.

The weird thing to me is that the stock prices is still rather high for this piece of shit thing. Is that because a lot of advertisers use FB? Or does FB own a lot more shit than I realize? I haven't read FB's recent earning numbers, I'm always hearing controversial things about how the site is run, etc. I think it would be a good thing if FB and Twitter died a quick death.

The weird thing to me is that the stock prices is still rather high for this piece of shit thing. Is that because a lot of advertisers use FB? Or does FB own a lot more shit than I realize? I haven't read FB's recent earning numbers, I'm always hearing controversial things about how the site is run, etc. I think it would be a good thing if FB and Twitter died a quick death.

Mainly because they've bought out competitors and have been able to diversify. For example, they also own Instagram which is quite popular right now.

I have avoided FB. As a long time reader of Slashdot, FB's rather cavalier attitude to privacy and tracking has been discussed on /. so I avoided FB for that reason. Fiascos such as allowing politicians to spread knowing lies on FB do not make me want to bother with their sorry asses.

Some of my hiking groups use it for organizing. I find it useful for that, and sometimes for "login with facebook". I don't believe I've ever actually made a post on my wall, though.

I use Facebook for keeping contact with people, and occasionally various Facebook groups. I really like the Messenger app. I have not bothered with status updates and the like for almost a decade.

I used to use Facebook. At one point I was one of those people with over 200 Facebook friends. Then I decided to purge it and brought it down to only a couple dozen; only those who I actually saw on a regular basis in real life. Then about a year and a half ago I just stopped using it completely and have not logged back into it since. I don't know why. I think I was using it merely out habit, changed my home PC and didn't bother to check/change my password and log into it.

That made me wonder how much of my online activity is primarily due to force of habit, and I had to answer it is a lot (including posting here).

I spend perhaps 3-4 hours daily on Facebook. That includes using the messenger app. Every now and then I do a cull of phantom friends to make room for new friends. I for one love it including participating in various groups like atheism and many others.

Back
Top Bottom