• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Faster-than-light travel: Is warp drive really possible?

The idea that a steam engine is the best possible way to convert energy (it was at one point) is the end-all barrier to advancement is the same as saying that "pushing mass through space is limited therefore getting somewhere faster than X is IMPOSSIBLE".

Obviously, a solution might be getting somewhere faster WITHOUT "pushing it through space" (like a neanderthal).
You did help make my point, though. Thank you. minor and probably temporary lack of imagination.
Note this "warp drive" does not move mass faster than light. It moves space faster than light and the "ship" stands motionless as the space itself moves. Or something like that.
But currently, Relativity says faster than light isn't possible. Relativity didn't say going faster than sound was impossible.

I still ignorantly contest that if you create a field in which you no longer are confined by the limits of speed by the universe, you are in a zone that can't propagate electric or magnetic fields. The speed of light exists as a property of how resistant spacetime is to electric and magnetic forces being transmitted. If you erase the consequence of the speed limit of spacetime, I think it is quite logical you also erase the benefits of spacetime as well, and heck, molecules might be able to exist at all..

Back
Top Bottom