• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Fear The Walking Dead

Yeah, it isn't making a whole lot of sense at this point. I was wondering if maybe they were trying to just get rid of all the sick and infirm, but in a eugenics type of endeavor. But you're probably right.

And why did Kim Dickens' character bother to go outside the fence on her little excursion? It's just not something a rational person would do. I guess they're trying to show that the government and/or military is just as dangerous as the zombies or something---that with the help of the outbreak the worst fears of paranoid conservatives who've been ranting about secret FEMA camps all these years has come to pass?

And why would the commander--who should be a captain and not a lieutenant (getting stuff like that wrong drives me nuts) be such an asshole? It's a worn out stereotype and irritates more than it entertains.

Overall the show has been really uneven, but still worth watching. Plus I think Kim Dickens is super hot.

American movies and TV shows always have lots of lieutenants, so they can annoy the fuck out of the English speaking world by mis-pronouncing it 'loo-tenant'.

I presume that a loo-tenant is someone who resides in a lavatory.

How's it pronounced in the UK? Is it more like lee-yoo-tenant?

American movies and TV shows always have lots of lieutenants, so they can annoy the fuck out of the English speaking world by mis-pronouncing it 'loo-tenant'.

I presume that a loo-tenant is someone who resides in a lavatory.

Leftenant. It is the same in certain other countries as well. That is how it is supposed to be pronounced in Canada, but due to heavy exposure to American English, perhaps, many Canadians likely pronounce it the same as Americans.

Leftenant. It is the same in certain other countries as well. That is how it is supposed to be pronounced in Canada, but due to heavy exposure to American English, perhaps, many Canadians likely pronounce it the same as Americans.

Ah. I knew that. No, I really did! But I associated that pronunciation with some other language--maybe German? Anyway, thanks for the correction. But you have to admit, getting a "leff" sound out of a "lieu" spelling is peculiar--but getting "throo" out of "through" only makes sense... or should that be senss? Oh god. I'm closing this can of worms now

Ah. I knew that. No, I really did! But I associated that pronunciation with some other language--maybe German? Anyway, thanks for the correction. But you have to admit, getting a "leff" sound out of a "lieu" spelling is peculiar--but getting "throo" out of "through" only makes sense... or should that be senss? Oh god. I'm closing this can of worms now

The German equivalent is Leutnant, pronounced 'Loyt-nunt'.

I think the rounding up of certain people is of people with the potential to die in the protected area. If the woman dies of her infection, or the druggie overdoses, then that is a potential zombie springing up in the middle of everyone starting the whole cycle again.

Just watched episode 4. I'm liking it so far. I'm very nitpicky at times when it comes to movies and TV shows but I'm also willing to suspend disbelief and ignore the various stuff that makes no sense to me in TV and movies.

I'm just wondering what it is with the military taking away anyone with any sort of medical issues. Being a drug addict is neither the kind of issue the military are worried about providing medical care for when the shit has truly hit the fan in the worst way possible and there's also no relationship between having an opiate addiction and being a danger as a potential future zombie. It's not like he had the flu or another infection which has initial symptoms similar to the infection that causes people to turn into zombies. What gives?

There's an interesting idea to be explored whereby the national guard are ordered to by overly heavy handed and round up anyone with medical symptoms that could potentially be caused by the zombie virus and thus start rounding up people with otherwise harmless infections and start interring them or even worse, eradicating them. But what would be the motivation in such extreme times for rounding up opiate addicts? Are they really interested in providing drug rehab to them are or they so misguided that they're just rounding up and dealing harshly with anyone who might have reason to visit a doctor? I don't get where this is going but I hope to be proven wrong and it will make sense before the season is out...
See I though the flashes at the house at the end were gun fire (leaving the impression that anyone that was ill was being eradicated).

Just watched the final episode. Overall I thought it was a good series and in some ways I preferred it to the walking dead.
A couple of questions though. First of did all the people in the safe zone know people were turning into zombies and why were they going to kill all of them? Presumable they were going to bomb the area?

It was a weak ending to an overall weak miniseries.

The whole thing felt lazy--like something a below-average group of writers came up with---the Walking Dead's B team. I have no curiosity as to where the characters go or what becomes of them because now it would just be TWD in SoCal, but a lot less interesting. And that's too bad because the setting of Los Angeles could have been used way more effectively. But the way it was done, it could have taken place in Nebraska and it wouldn't have made things any different.

Oh, and what's up with the CGI yacht? That might give a clue as to how cheaply they tried to do this show. They couldn't bother to go to Newport and give some touring company a thousand bucks to rent their yacht for a couple hours? It looks like instead, they gave an ambitious intern the chance to show what he could do and then decided that no matter how it looked, they were going to use it because it was free.

Where was the media coverage? National and local officials on TV? Radio reports?

Bah. It sucked.

I liked it. Some of the characters were interesting in the way they were written and acted, they were even slightly unusual for tv--or so they seemed to me. Kim Dickens was particularly good, and so were her two kids--none of them overly, ickily "relatable".

Back
Top Bottom