• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Female House candidate withdraws over sexual harassment claim

Kilgore Trout

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
From Politico

Democrat Andrea Ramsey has dropped out of the race to take on GOP Rep. Kevin Yoder in Kansas after The Kansas City Star began questioning Ramsey about accusations made against her in a 2005 sexual harassment lawsuit.

The lawsuit was dismissed in 2006. Multiple sources told the Kansas City Star that the employee received a settlement. Ramsey denied the allegations in a lengthy statement published Friday that explained her decision to drop out of the race, saying that the allegation is "a lie" and she didn't "have any opportunity to participate in its resolution" because she was not named in the lawsuit. LabOne, Ramsey’s employer, was named as the defendant in the lawsuit.

In case you thought women would be immune to sexual harassment claims.

From Politico

Democrat Andrea Ramsey has dropped out of the race to take on GOP Rep. Kevin Yoder in Kansas after The Kansas City Star began questioning Ramsey about accusations made against her in a 2005 sexual harassment lawsuit.

The lawsuit was dismissed in 2006. Multiple sources told the Kansas City Star that the employee received a settlement. Ramsey denied the allegations in a lengthy statement published Friday that explained her decision to drop out of the race, saying that the allegation is "a lie" and she didn't "have any opportunity to participate in its resolution" because she was not named in the lawsuit. LabOne, Ramsey’s employer, was named as the defendant in the lawsuit.

Interesting. Well, there is progress for you ladies. Equal opportunity witch hunt.

From Politico

Is there someone who made that claim? According to the below link, about 2% of all cases are deemed false:

https://web.stanford.edu/group/maan/cgi-bin/?page_id=297

From Politico

Is there someone who made that claim? According to the below link, about 2% of all cases are deemed false:

Stats on this are not going to be very reliable, even if they are from reputable sources. Because what exactly does that mean "only 2% are deemed to be false"? It doesn't mean only 2% are false. And depending on what criteria and standard of evidence is used and who has the onus of proof, anywhere from 0% to 100% could be deemed to be false.

To clarify....
I've heard people say recently that if we had a lot more women run for office, we wouldn't have to worry about them having to resign because of sexual abuse allegations.
For example:
@billkristol on twitter said:
It's obviously time for a 28th Amendment to the Constitution: "Until we can figure out what the hell is going on, only Americans of the female sex shall be eligible to serve in the Congress of the United States."

Well, this is a real-life example that anybody who is in a position of power can be accused of abuse.

Stats on this are not going to be very reliable, even if they are from reputable sources. Because what exactly does that mean "only 2% are deemed to be false"? It doesn't mean only 2% are false. And depending on what criteria and standard of evidence is used and who has the onus of proof, anywhere from 0% to 100% could be deemed to be false.

Yeah. Unless the accuser really screwed up it's not going to be proven false.

To clarify....
I've heard people say recently that if we had a lot more women run for office, we wouldn't have to worry about them having to resign because of sexual abuse allegations.
For example:
@billkristol on twitter said:
It's obviously time for a 28th Amendment to the Constitution: "Until we can figure out what the hell is going on, only Americans of the female sex shall be eligible to serve in the Congress of the United States."

Well, this is a real-life example that anybody who is in a position of power can be accused of abuse.
Ha, Kristol's tweet was merely a snide poke at Trump's supposed Muslim ban.

Well, the point here is that none is making the case that a women never lies about sexual assault. However, the documented cases of this is very small. We should make precautions. People have the right to a vigorous defense. But when a guy admits in public to assaulting women, has been caught doing it, has a habit that seems to fit: probably a good idea to believe the 17 women currently making the charge!

....According to the below link, about 2% of all cases are deemed false:

Apparently decent and comprehensive long-term US study (link below) suggests 2.1%-10.9%. It's by the group 'Violence Against Women' and has 3 female authors (one the founder of the group) and one male author.

https://icdv.idaho.gov/conference/handouts/False-Allegations.pdf

That Stanford group looks like a well-intentioned organisation that I myself might support, but they may be underestimating.

I think the point is that false accusations are in a small minority, as far as can be told.

Last edited:
Interesting case that made the headlines here in the UK today. The case against Liam Allen collapsed when it turned out the Police and State prosecutors had ample evidence that the female accuser's case was virtually non-existent, but had refused to make this evidence known to the defence, despite repeated requests.

"The case against Mr Allan at Croydon Crown Court was dropped after three days when the evidence on a computer disk containing 40,000 messages revealed the alleged victim pestered him for "casual sex"."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42366629

[/derail]

I tend to discount allegations of 'inappropriate behavior' because I have been accused of such at the workplace.

Although I understand the reason for the law and its enforcement, I suspect that it is widely used by corporate HR anti-union thugs to intimidate activist staff. The process is intimidating and chillingly authoritarian and, so far as I can see, should be declared entirely unconstitutional. Secret accusations, inability to face ones accusers or to even challenge the accusations. It was a travesty of kangaroo justice....and the accusations themselves were laughable.

Civil rights laws are being used to silence labor organization. Congratulations.

Last edited:
Interesting case that made the headlines here in the UK today. The case against Liam Allen collapsed when it turned out the Police and State prosecutors had ample evidence that the female accuser's case was virtually non-existent, but had refused to make this evidence known to the defence, despite repeated requests.

"The case against Mr Allan at Croydon Crown Court was dropped after three days when the evidence on a computer disk containing 40,000 messages revealed the alleged victim pestered him for "casual sex"."

[/derail]

40K messages? My fingers hurt just looking at that. Validity of accusations should, IMO, be decided on a case by case basis. Any given case may not be in line with broader trends.

Sexual harassment is a real issue and a serious one. Women are usually the victims but I've seen men be harassed by women as well.

What I fear we are seeing now is that such accusations are now being used as political tools to pressure candidates to drop out of office or out of coming political races, as well as to provide cover for terrible actions by those who retain power.

I have no idea what happened in this particular case. If she wasn't named in the suit, then it is pretty sad she was pressured to quit the race. I suspect the Republicans must have been pretty frightened of her.

40K messages? My fingers hurt just looking at that.

Same here. My personal limit when trying to get someone to have sex with me is about 5,000. After that I reckon it's time to give up and try someone else. Know when to quit, that's what I say.

Sorry. I shouldn't joke. One gin and tonic too many..........zzzzzzz

40K messages? My fingers hurt just looking at that.

Same here. My personal limit when trying to get someone to have sex with me is about 5,000. After that I reckon it's time to give up and try someone else. Know when to quit, that's what I say.

Sorry. I shouldn't joke. One gin and tonic too many..........zzzzzzz

Hey, nobody likes a quitter.

I mean, look at Roy Moore. Not even losing the election made him quit the race. That's tenacity.

[/derail]

Sorry but I dont get it.
How could he have been ”pestered” but yet this ”evidence” wasnt known by his defence?

The article then states that ”they had failed to disclose to the prosecution and defence teams messages between the complainant and her friends which cast doubt on the allegations against Mr Allan.”

Thus this was NOT messages from the victim to Liam but probably the TOTAL number of messages from to the victim and her friends of which SOME may have contained comments on Liam.

That makes 40000 not a high number (10 mess a day in one/two years with the occassional remark on Liam)

And what difference should that make? She may have been keen on that guy or maybe just joking. Anyway: That shouldnt have any bearing on whether she was raped or not.

What I fear we are seeing now is that such accusations are now being used as political tools to pressure candidates to drop out...
It was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the Hollywood stuff happening, that it's going to be a great weapon in politics. Especially in use against Democrats.

Back
Top Bottom