• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Ferguson Live Feed

I read somewhere that DA's get indictments over 95% of the time, so the chances were certainly greater. And the appearance of impartiality would have bolstered (depending on who the other DA was).
I don't think an indictment is the right thing here. The evidence in this case (what I am aware of) is not strong enough to warrant a trial. I'm not saying there is some questionable judgment here in the shooting and some ambiguous witness testimony, but questionable judgment does not come anywhere near close to having anything like a reasonable shot at a conviction.
The fact that a number of people disagree is sufficient to warrant a trial IMO.
The evidence in the Zimmerman case, for example, was far stronger and even then I agree still wasn't strong enough for "beyond all reasonable doubt" for a conviction.
So?

I grew up in the St.Louis metro area. I have family who still lives there. They thought Wilson would never be indicted before the grand jury was convened and before the facts come out. Between the screwed up response by the Ferguson police and the failure to get an indictment racial tensions are going to get worse before they have a chance to get better.

The real source of criticism about US justice system in cases like these should stem from the standard of evidence being too high to indict and convict. If the argument was an advocacy of justice reform to lower the standard of evidence needed for indictments or convictions and also pushing for more effective investigations with fewer mistakes, and a weakening of self defense laws, I could respect that as a reasonable point of view. I don't respect people claiming that the case was intentionally thrown by the DA (his heart obviously wasn't in it, so he does seem a bit unethical by not recursing himself, but all the available evidence seems to have been laid on the table) and that everything was due to racism. Do people really believe that the evidence was strong enough to warrant a trail despite all the physical evidence supporting the officer's story, with a handful of eyewitnesses also supporting it?

Do you think that it is reasonable to take a case to trial when none of the physical evidence contradicts the self defense claim? Shouldn't the same standards of evidence to put someone on trial be used for everyone, or should those standards be lowered only for certain cases in response to public outcry?

What purpose would a circus trial have served other than to waste millions of taxpayer dollars and court resources? Because the mob demanded it? Do you think any key evidence was withheld from the grand jury? If so, which evidence? If not, then the available evidence wasn't even enough for probable cause of a majority of the jury, let alone beyond a reasonable doubt in a unanimous decision a formal trial would've required.
What is important in a racially charged situation like this is the appearance of impartial justice. This DA has a history of "leniency" in police shootings. Even before the grand jury was convened, there was a concern that this DA would not impartially do his job. Given that this DA did not make a recommendation as to charges (a rather infrequent occurrence), the appearance of impartial justice has not been met in the eyes of many people. That will not help matters at all. If this DA had gotten an indictment, a trial would have made everything public and gone a long way to easing racial tensions.

For some obscure reason, many white people just do not get that there is still a strong residual of racial tension when it comes to these matters. It doesn't matter whether anyone thinks these tensions or views are merited - they exist. Which means that as an alleged civil society, we need to acknowledge and deal with them. The way this matter was handled is a textbook case of how to make it worse.

Blah. Seeking to address some perceived social wrong is entirely the wrong reason to put someone on trial. All that matters is what the accused allegedly did or did not do. It does not matter his religion, race, ethnicity, political persuasion, or past misconduct. The power of the state is not to be used to make some politically unpopular person a sacrificial lamb. Or is there disagreement about that? 200+ years of Anglo-American law have placed safeguards for the accused vis-à-vis the state. Wilson is entitled to those rights just as much as any other person accused of a crime. The evidence simply did not support that charges be filed. This happens all the time. Just because a person is accused of a crime does not mean the prosecution has enough evidence to file charges. The DA here likely realized from the start that the evidence was insufficient to bring charges and sent it to the grand jury to make it someone else's decision.

I read somewhere that DA's get indictments over 95% of the time, so the chances were certainly greater. And the appearance of impartiality would have bolstered (depending on who the other DA was).
The evidence in the Zimmerman case, for example, was far stronger and even then I agree still wasn't strong enough for "beyond all reasonable doubt" for a conviction.
So?

I grew up in the St.Louis metro area. I have family who still lives there. They thought Wilson would never be indicted before the grand jury was convened and before the facts come out. Between the screwed up response by the Ferguson police and the failure to get an indictment racial tensions are going to get worse before they have a chance to get better.

The main criticisms about US justice system seem to stem from the standard of evidence being too high to indict and convict. If the argument was an advocacy of justice reform to lower the standard of evidence needed for indictments or convictions and also pushing for more effective investigations with fewer mistakes, and a weakening of self defense laws, I could respect that as a reasonable point of view. I don't respect people claiming that the case was intentionally thrown by the DA (his heart obviously wasn't in it, so he does seem a bit unethical by not recursing himself) and that everything was due to racism.
Interesting. You admit the DA's heart was not in it (i.e. he did not do a good job). And racism did have something to do with it. Do people really think that if Officer Wilson saw 2 white people walking down the middle of street that he would have stopped them? I know my relatives and friends in St. Louis were surprised that a police officer bothered to do that even if the 2 people were black (and some of these respondents are bigots). Why should black people in that area accept this outcome as the result of an impartial or fair system of justice?
Do people really believe that the evidence was strong enough to warrant a trail despite all the physical evidence supporting the officer's story, with a handful of eyewitnesses also supporting it?
I know some people who do. You seem to forget that the officer's story (a good descriptor) had lots of time to coalesce around the evidence.

What is important in a racially charged situation like this is the appearance of impartial justice. This DA has a history of "leniency" in police shootings. Even before the grand jury was convened, there was a concern that this DA would not impartially do his job. Given that this DA did not make a recommendation as to charges (a rather infrequent occurrence), the appearance of impartial justice has not been met in the eyes of many people. That will not help matters at all. If this DA had gotten an indictment, a trial would have made everything public and gone a long way to easing racial tensions.

For some obscure reason, many white people just do not get that there is still a strong residual of racial tension when it comes to these matters. It doesn't matter whether anyone thinks these tensions or views are merited - they exist. Which means that as an alleged civil society, we need to acknowledge and deal with them. The way this matter was handled is a textbook case of how to make it worse.

Blah. Seeking to address some perceived social wrong is entirely the wrong reason to put someone on trial. All that matters is what the accused allegedly did or did not do. It does not matter his religion, race, ethnicity, political persuasion, or past misconduct. The power of the state is not to be used to make some politically unpopular person a sacrificial lamb. Or is there disagreement about that? 200+ years of Anglo-American law have placed safeguards for the accused vis-à-vis the state. Wilson is entitled to those rights just as much as any other person accused of a crime. The evidence simply did not support that charges be filed. This happens all the time. Just because a person is accused of a crime does not mean the prosecution has enough evidence to file charges.
Since no one claimed a trial was predicated on righting a perceived social wrong, your response is pure blathering apologia.
The DA here likely realized from the start that the evidence was insufficient to bring charges and sent it to the grand jury to make it someone else's decision.
Since that particular DA has never indicted a police officer in a shooting, I am sure you conclusion is correct. Do you see why people might see there was a problem?

So?

The main criticisms about US justice system seem to stem from the standard of evidence being too high to indict and convict. If the argument was an advocacy of justice reform to lower the standard of evidence needed for indictments or convictions and also pushing for more effective investigations with fewer mistakes, and a weakening of self defense laws, I could respect that as a reasonable point of view. I don't respect people claiming that the case was intentionally thrown by the DA (his heart obviously wasn't in it, so he does seem a bit unethical by not recursing himself) and that everything was due to racism.
Interesting. You admit the DA's heart was not in it (i.e. he did not do a good job). And racism did have something to do with it. Do people really think that if Officer Wilson saw 2 white people walking down the middle of street that he would have stopped them? I know my relatives and friends in St. Louis were surprised that a police officer bothered to do that even if the 2 people were black (and some of these respondents are bigots). Why should black people in that area accept this outcome as the result of an impartial or fair system of justice?
Do people really believe that the evidence was strong enough to warrant a trail despite all the physical evidence supporting the officer's story, with a handful of eyewitnesses also supporting it?
I know some people who do. You seem to forget that the officer's story (a good descriptor) had lots of time to coalesce around the evidence.

I never said racism had to do with the DA's heart not being in it. That probably stemmed from the weaknesses of the evidence and that he had to do this only due to public outcry and not due to the objective strength of the evidence. Racism may have been a factor but the weakness of the evidence speaks for itself. The two possible explanations for the DA's attitude are racism and weakness of the evidence (or some combination of the two). Why invoke racism when the weakness of the evidence itself is a sufficient explanation?

Do you think there is no such thing as objective strength and objective standards to use to evaluate evidence? That someone's guilt and the quality of evidence and whether they should have to endure a lengthy and burdensome trial is determined based on how many people protest?

Since that particular DA has never indicted a police officer in a shooting, I am sure you conclusion is correct. Do you see why people might see there was a problem?

Witness No. 14. https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1370937-interview-witness-14-2.html Go to pages 28-30. The myth that Brown had his hands up was created by the stepfather who came after the events had unfolded. No competent prosecutor would bring this to trial. The prosecution's case would go to shit quickly. The DA must have have been aware of this before deciding to drop it on the grand jury.

- - - Updated - - -

Since no one claimed a trial was predicated on righting a perceived social wrong, your response is pure blathering apologia.

Then why are you raising issues beyond the specific facts of the case?

Witness No. 14. https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1370937-interview-witness-14-2.html Go to pages 28-30. The myth that Brown had his hands up was created by the stepfather who came after the events had unfolded. No competent prosecutor would bring this to trial. The prosecution's case would go to shit quickly. The DA must have have been aware of this before deciding to drop it on the grand jury.
Other witnesses said his hands were up.

You are the one who is literally making stuff up, not me.

So?

I never said racism had to do with the DA's heart not being in it. That probably stemmed from the weaknesses of the evidence and that he had to do this only due to public outcry and not due to the objective strength of the evidence. Racism may have been a factor but the weakness of the evidence speaks for itself. The two possible explanations for the DA's attitude are racism and weakness of the evidence (or some combination of the two). Why invoke racism when the weakness of the evidence itself is a sufficient explanation?
I think you need to read my response more carefully because your response does address the content of my post. The weakness of the evidence is a matter of opinion.
Do you think there is no such thing as objective strength and objective standards to use to evaluate evidence? That someone's guilt and the quality of evidence and whether they should have to endure a lengthy and burdensome trial is determined based on how many people protest?
I do not think there are objective strength and objective standards to evaluate evidence. I think that the appearence of justice helps defuse these situations and that appearance was not met in this instance. I think an impartial DA who quickly convened a grand jury and quickly finished the proceedings would have meant a lot less grief and rioting even without an indictment. I think the expense of a trial compared to the damage from the rioting and the longer lasting mistrust would have been miniscule. I think opining about the weak quality of the evidence and dismissing the concerns of the community is an example of why blacks do not mistrust our system of justice.

Making what up? And for fuck's sake, if the DA had cherry-picked the evidence to secure an indictment, then the prosecution would be obliged to pursue a trial with little chance of success. The opening statement would be like an SNL sketch.

The prosecution asks you to return a conviction against Mr. Wilson for the crime of X. In doing so, the prosecution requests that you ignore that the physical evidence supports Mr. Wilson's account and not the prosecution's case. Please also ignore that the witnesses for the prosecution may have committed perjury. Oh, and please ignore that there are non-bias witnesses whose testimony corroborates Mr. Wilson's version of events. At the end of trial, the Judge will read you an instruction on what the prosecution's burden to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt means. The prosecution asks that you not take this too literally; 'cause heck, we really need the win!

At the time of the Emmett Till murder, A great many white folk thought that defense was valid. And they could not believe that charges were actually brought based on such flimsy evidence. What a waste of money. Just to keep the blacks from getting upset and rioting. Waste of time and resources better spent on other things.

Gosh, that does sound familiar.

Once again, what a joke to compare the objective quality of the evidence in the two cases.

"In later interviews, the jurors acknowledged that they knew Bryant and Milam were guilty, but simply did not believe life imprisonment or the death penalty fit punishment for whites who had killed a black man."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmett_Till#Trial

Quality of evidence is not the same as perception of that evidence.

Everyone on this forum has read pretty much the same evidence and have come to quite disparate conclusions. This brings into question just how cut and dried said evidence is.

And that still doesn't change the fact that at the time a great many white folk thought that the murder of Emmett Till was far from a solved mystery and that Bryant and Milam were falsely accused and that the indictment, that Till deserved to die, and the indictment trial were not worth the effort.

I agree that this DA was a bad choice. I don't agree that a different DA would have guaranteed an indictment. I don't think an indictment is the right thing here. The evidence in this case (what I am aware of) is not strong enough to warrant a trial. I'm not saying there is some questionable judgment here in the shooting and some ambiguous witness testimony, but questionable judgment does not come anywhere near close to having anything like a reasonable shot at a conviction.

Agreed--I see no way a conviction could be anything other than racially motivated.

Making what up? And for fuck's sake, if the DA had cherry-picked the evidence to secure an indictment, then the prosecution would be obliged to pursue a trial with little chance of success. The opening statement would be like an SNL sketch.

The prosecution asks you to return a conviction against Mr. Wilson for the crime of X. In doing so, the prosecution requests that you ignore that the physical evidence supports Mr. Wilson's account and not the prosecution's case. Please also ignore that the witnesses for the prosecution may have committed perjury. Oh, and please ignore that there are non-bias witnesses whose testimony corroborates Mr. Wilson's version of events. At the end of trial, the Judge will read you an instruction on what the prosecution's burden to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt means. The prosecution asks that you not take this too literally; 'cause heck, we really need the win!
Perhaps you don't understand what "making stuff up" means. It means you are fabricating arguments with no basis in reality.

In the end, your opinion and my opinion on this outcome are unimportant. It will be the opinions of the residents of Ferguson and the neighboring communities who have to live with this outcome that will matter, and how they decide to move forward.

Emmett Till Revisited

More recently Davis Houck and Matthew Grindy carefully analyzed stories about Till published in seventy white Mississippi newspapers and one black newspaper in an attempt to study how rhetoric changed in describing him and his murder.

They reported in 2008 that initially he was portrayed sympathetically in many southern newspapers. But then his dead father’s World War II military record was denigrated, and Till was characterized as a menacing thug while the woman whom he allegedly whistled at was described as a helpless, innocent victim

http://www.academia.edu/669352/_The_Murder_of_Emmett_Till_Myth_Memory_and_National_Magazine_Response

Nowadays we skip the sympathic part and go right to the menacing thug part.

Other than that, the more things change the more they stay the same.

More recently Davis Houck and Matthew Grindy carefully analyzed stories about Till published in seventy white Mississippi newspapers and one black newspaper in an attempt to study how rhetoric changed in describing him and his murder.

They reported in 2008 that initially he was portrayed sympathetically in many southern newspapers. But then his dead father’s World War II military record was denigrated, and Till was characterized as a menacing thug while the woman whom he allegedly whistled at was described as a helpless, innocent victim

http://www.academia.edu/669352/_The_Murder_of_Emmett_Till_Myth_Memory_and_National_Magazine_Response

Nowadays we skip the sympathic part and go right to the menacing thug part.

Other than that, the more things change the more they stay the same.

The Quincy Story

Themes

Based on an unconfirmed report by the media, the victim was at one point a victimizer; armed robber. If this is true, the fact that he was a white male, within his 30s, and with a prior criminal record validates the reference Karmen (2007) makes in the course text: “most perpetrators and many of their victims had been in trouble with the law before their final showdown” and that “about 45 percent of the deceased turned out to have criminal records (arrests or convictions for misdemeanors or felonies)” (p. 89).

Victim Portrayal

The victim was vilified by the media from the beginning of the report.

Media Reinforcement of Portrayal

The omnipresent vilification within this news piece was quite heavily supported by the biased comments of the outspoken reporter, who repeatedly mentioned the victim’s prior involvement, or insinuations of prior involvement, in the world of crime. Not only was the victim vilified, but he was also undignified, as according to the reporter the victim’s body laid next to a car: “only 30 feet behind me” – as the newscaster so prominently said.

Patterns

Official crime statistics and the Quincy murder victim are tied in closely. The victim is: male, in his 30’s, most likely single, living in lower to middle class environment and with a prior criminal record. Moreover, the news report further adds strength to this assertion by having viewers assume that there were two white males involved in the killing of the Caucasian victim. This supports the intraracial assertion by Karmen (2007).

http://criminaljusticeonlineblog.com/11/victimology-themes-patterns-victim-portrayal-and-the-media/

So race is the only factor in how the media portrays certain victims, or just one of many factors?

Somewhat off topic, but I found this extremely interesting in performing some research. There is apparently an entire field of study called victimology, which is the study of victimization, including the relationships between victims and offenders, the interactions between victims and the criminal justice system. First time I've heard of it.

Some very interesting points to consider from an introductory textbook that I think are relevant to topics like these:

Victims or Offenders?

But real-life confrontations do not consistently generate
simple clear-cut cases that neatly fall into the
dichotomies of good and evil, and innocence
and guilt. Not all victims were weak, defenseless,
unsuspecting “lambs” who, through tragic or ironic
circumstances or just plain bad luck, were
pounced upon by cunning, vicious “wolves.”
In some instances, observers may have reasonable
doubts and honest disagreements over which
party in a conflict should be labeled the victim
and which should be stigmatized as the villain.
These complicated situations dramatize the need
for impartiality when untangling convoluted relationships
in order to make a rational argument
and a sound legal determination that one person
should be arrested, prosecuted, and punished,
and the other defended, supported, and assisted.
Unlike the black-and-white examples presented
above, many messy incidents reported in the
news and processed by the courts embody “shades
of gray.” Clashes frequently take place between
two people who, to varying degrees, are both
victims, or both wrongdoers.

[snip]

In both of the classic cases that were resolved by
the criminal justice system in ways that caused quite
an uproar and still provoke many heated discussions,
the persons officially designated as the victims by the
police and prosecutors—the dead parents, the
slashed husband—arguably could be considered by
certain standards as wrongdoers who “got what was
coming to them.” Indeed, they were viewed just
that way by substantial segments of the public and
by some jurors. The defendants who got in trouble
with the law—the shotgun-toting brothers, the
knife-wielding wife—insisted that they should not
be portrayed as criminals. On the contrary, they
contended that they actually were the genuine victims
who should not be punished: sons sexually
molested by their father, a battered woman who
was subjected to marital rape.
When different interpretations of the facts lead
to sharply divergent conclusions about who is
actually the guilty party and who is the injured
party, any knee-jerk, antioffender, pro-victim
impulses provide no guidance for action. The confusion
inherent in the unrealistically simplistic
labels of 100 percent criminal and 100 percent victim
underscores the need for objectivity when trying
to figure out who is primarily responsible for
whatever lawbreaking took place. Clearly, the
dynamics between victims and victimizers need
to be sorted out in an evenhanded and openminded
manner, not only by victimologists but
also by police officers, prosecutors, judges, and
juries. In rare instances, even the authorities can’t
make up their minds

laughingdog seems to take this approach when he dismisses objectivity as essentially unobtainable:

SOURCES OF BIAS

Clearly, inquiries into how victims suffer at
the hands of criminals as well as other groups
such as journalists and criminal justice officials is
unavoidably a value-laden pursuit that arouses
intense passions and sharply dissenting views. As a
result, some have argued that objectivity is an
impossible and unrealistic goal that should be abandoned
in favor of a forthright affirmation of values
and allegiances. They say that victimologists (and
other social scientists) should acknowledge their
biases at the outset to alert their audiences to the
slant that their analyses and policy recommendations
will take.

http://www.cengagebrain.com.au/content/9781285286624.pdf

It's his job to go after criminals.
It is not Wilson's job to execute unarmed people.

This result has not been unexpected, as the overwhelming weight of both the eye witness and forensic evidence has been entirely consistent with Officer Wilson’s narrative of self-defense, including:

- Wilson being attacked by Brown and his accomplice Dorian Johnson in his patrol vehicle
- a struggle over Wilson’s service pistol
- shots fired inside the vehicle (which forensic examination confirmed caused a contact gun shot wound to Brown’s right hand)
- the temporary flight of Brown upon those initial gunshots
- the return of the 292 pound Brown re-engage the much smaller officer
- the firing of additional defensive rounds as necessary to halt Brown’s violence

http://legalinsurrection.com/2014/1...o-indictment-in-michael-brown-shooting//#more

There are certainly easier ways to randomly execute unarmed "gentle giants". :rolleyesa:

It is not Wilson's job to execute unarmed people.

This result has not been unexpected, as the overwhelming weight of both the eye witness and forensic evidence has been entirely consistent with Officer Wilson’s narrative of self-defense, including:

- Wilson being attacked by Brown and his accomplice Dorian Johnson in his patrol vehicle
- shots fired inside the vehicle (which forensic examination confirmed caused a contact gun shot wound to Brown’s right hand)
- the firing of additional defensive rounds as necessary to halt Brown’s violence

http://legalinsurrection.com/2014/1...o-indictment-in-michael-brown-shooting//#more

There are certainly easier ways to randomly execute unarmed "gentle giants". :rolleyesa:

You do know that the contact wound was misreported and that Dorian Johnson's testimony states that no attack occurred.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...uson-documents-what-michael-browns-friend-saw

Oh and your legal link has an admitted conservative agenda. Not just bias, agenda:
Legal Insurrection now is one of the most widely cited and influential conservative websites, with hundreds of thousands of visitors per month. Our work has been highlighted by top conservative radio personalities, such as Rush Limbaugh and Mark Levin, and Professor Jacobson regularly appears as a guest on radio shows across the nation.

Johnson didn't attack anyone, so no there was no overwhelming eye witness or forensic evidence saying he did.

Which forensic evidence was that? What overwhelming eye witness testimony? All we have is Wilson's word for it since he never turned his service weapon in to be examined by forensics.

Ok

Ok

No, Wilson and Brown were almost the same size. Wilson was not "much smaller" than Brown.

"As necessary" no, there is no forensic evidence or overwhelming eye witness testimony suggesting those shots were necessary.

Not surprised your racist legal website got it wrong so many times.

Dorian Johnson recounts the last day of Michael Brown.

That would be funny.

I thought I read that there was shot in the car door?

Back
Top Bottom