• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Fine-Tuning Argument vs Argument From Miracles

I agree with the "works hard" bit.

But do you agree with the sarcasm of that bit?
Hard work is not necessarily proportional to the value of the output.
You can work up quite a sweat on a treadmill, but you will not win a marathon that way... or place....or show.

If it was also a common thing even then, why would Jesus be the odd one out to others?
He wasn’t. There were lots of stories about it.

Jews and Romans with their own traditions would make the claim and write about Jesus, saying He didn't really die, letting that go by for centuries?
They thought they were all miraculous. Miracles were cheap and easy in those days.

Besides ... it would still be a "miracle" of sorts, if Jesus was walking about just after three days,
One and a half, dude. They may not have known CPR but they knew how to tell time. And Jesus was never even slightly dead for three days. Friday afternoon at three to sometime between then and Sunday at dawn. Use a calculator if you have to. There’s your first clue that it’s all made up, isnt it?

"bandage free"! Those medicinal herbs must have been extremely potent, so miraculously powerful that not even our own medicines of today could get someone walking in just three days after such described physical trauma.
What? What makes you say that? Other people go through such physical trauma and walk around within 3 days. I had my stomach cut open side to side and a baby pulled out - twice - and they have you walking within hours. I’m off the drugs in less than 4 hours and only ibuprofen to deal with it. Was your Jesus a snowflake?

I hear about this huge terrible trauma that lasted less than one afternoon and all the Christians are all about how it’s the most arduous ordeal EVAH! Most women labor in childbirth for twice that time. You should talk to a years-long POW, or maybe a victim of child abuse for some calibration.

I suppose I could see the view why Thomas would need to see Jesus for himself, IF its usual and quite known that people get mistaken for being dead.

Indeed.

He wasn’t. There were lots of stories about it.

Which stories ?

They thought they were all miraculous. Miracles were cheap and easy in those days.

They knew what a miracle was and a cheap immitation was, they knew about conjurors, scorcerers, false prophets and charlatans. The Pharisees did call Jesus some of these names, mind you.

One and a half, dude. They may not have known CPR but they knew how to tell time. And Jesus was never even slightly dead for three days. Friday afternoon at three to sometime between then and Sunday at dawn. Use a calculator if you have to. There’s your first clue that it’s all made up, isnt it?
I think you know what I meant and why are you using the term Friday and Sunday then, if you want to be precise? Thats from the Roman calender (Gregorian) not Hebrew / Jewish.

What? What makes you say that? Other people go through such physical trauma and walk around within 3 days. I had my stomach cut open side to side and a baby pulled out - twice - and they have you walking within hours. I’m off the drugs in less than 4 hours and only ibuprofen to deal with it. Was your Jesus a snowflake?

Admirable with what you went through, but you wasn't beaten severly and you had the best people "making sure" you get the best treatment using their expertise.

I hear about this huge terrible trauma that lasted less than one afternoon and all the Christians are all about how it’s the most arduous ordeal EVAH! Most women labor in childbirth for twice that time. You should talk to a years-long POW, or maybe a victim of child abuse for some calibration.

Not sure what to say here.

I suppose I could see the view why Thomas would need to see Jesus for himself, IF its usual and quite known that people get mistaken for being dead.

Indeed.

And Thomas then became convinced?

Which stories ?
You answer your own question...

They knew what a miracle was and a cheap immitation was, they knew about conjurors, scorcerers, false prophets and charlatans. The Pharisees did call Jesus some of these names, mind you.
Those stories.

I think you know what I meant and why are you using the term Friday and Sunday then, if you want to be precise? Thats from the Roman calender (Gregorian) not Hebrew / Jewish.
Yeah, I know what you mean. You’re neither Hebrew nor Jewish. And you want to make it seem like a very arduous deal, so you use weird units of measurement to make it sound bigger than it really is. It’s just not 3 days, dude, at all.

By the way, yesterday I backed out of my garage going more than 600,000 fathoms per fortnight. Impressed?

Admirable with what you went through, but you wasn't beaten severly and you had the best people "making sure" you get the best treatment using their expertise.
You don’t know that, by the way.
But I anticipated your dismissal and I agree that millions of people have it much worse than me (such as black mothers, for example, who die much more often in childbirth). But there are others who clearly and obviously show much more fortitude than your Jesus story, and...

And you dismiss them without even one comment or acknowledgement. POWs held and beaten daily for YEARS, not a couple of hours. Abused child, also held for years and beaten, but not even mature enough to understand. Did you hear that story today about the woman kidnapped by ISIS and made to serve them, with sever beatings, for 10 years?

And you don’t even know what to say.
Because you think this Jesus had it worse than anyone EVAH.
It just doesn’t hold water, my friend.

Indeed.

Lots of Christians have become convinced. Some have become convinced that God Hates Fags and Soldiers. But Thomas’ first reaction tells the tale of the times, eh?

The same rules of evidence/logic/science apply equally to "ordinary" claims and to "miracle" claims.

(Except that "miracle" claims require EXTRA evidence (like we have for the Jesus miracle acts), beyond what is required for ordinary claims.)

You keep repeating the same fallacy. Nobody gives a shit about ordinary claims.

You can't put a hard black-and-white divider between "ordinary" claims and "miracle" claims. In both cases it's the real world out there we're talking about, and for both there is the possibility that the claim is true or false. The "miracle" claim, or other unusual claim, has a greater degree of doubt about it, and so the evidence has to be stronger. But for all claims we need evidence, and for all of them it's the same relation of more evidence = more credibility.

It's not true that "nobody gives a shit" about ordinary claims, or that these don't matter or don't require evidence. The only difference is that they require LESS evidence.

So it's not a "fallacy" to put the "ordinary" claims and the "miracle" claims in the same category and test them for evidence, applying the same rules of logic and evidence. What's different is that we need extra evidence for the miracle claims, or any unusual claims which contradict normal experience, and when we have that extra evidence, such as extra sources telling us that it's true, then it's still reasonable to believe it, despite the unusual element.

That’s why ancient history—that doesn’t entail gods and miracles—is more or less accepted.

Which "ancient history"? There are some claims in "ancient history" which are NOT accepted because they are contradicted by other evidence. I.e., ORDINARY history claims which are found to be unlikely because other claims contradict them. So, just because it's "ordinary" and doesn't entail gods and miracles doesn't mean we automatically accept it. ALL the claims are subject to doubt, depending on the evidence, both the "ordinary" claims and the unordinary ones. The only difference is that the more unordinary ones require some extra evidence.

It’s still apocryphal, but no one cares very much whether or not there actually was a Trojan War, because war is common place.

Whether it's true or not isn't decided by whether someone "cares very much" if it's true. We determine if it's true by the evidence or written record saying what happened. If the record from the time says it happened, and this is not contradicted by other evidence, then we have good reason to believe it. Though if it's a miracle claim, we need more than only one source saying it. So if the record from the time has 2 or 3 sources saying a "miracle" event happened, it might be reasonable to believe it, though not if there's ONLY ONE source saying it.

And it's not possible to dictate exactly how much extra evidence is needed in each case. If the claim is extremely unusual, maybe more than 2 sources are necessary. Not everyone adopts the same standards for how much evidence is necessary in each case.

(Also, if the claimed miracle is easily explained as a product of mythologizing, then it's appropriate to require more than only 2 sources.)

There's enough evidence for the Jesus miracle acts that people can reasonably believe these did happen, while at the same time others can reasonably disbelieve it because they think the evidence is not enough and they require further evidence in order to believe it.

It is dogmatic and bigoted to insist that everyone must accept your standard for how much extra evidence is required in order to reasonably believe a miracle claim.

Dance around all you want, but fiction is immediate and mythology is same generation. So it doesn’t matter how many times you pretend that anyone telling you about their mass experience with Bigfoot is reliable evidence that a Bigfoot exists.

Are you nuts? No matter how much I dance around with Bigfoot, it does matter how many times you pretend that anyone telling me about their mass fiction experience is immediate reliable evidence that a same generation mythology exists.

(Whatever the hodgepodge quote above means, the Bigfoot claims require the same consideration of the evidence as any other claims about something which allegedly happened. The same rules of evidence and reason apply equally to all the claims, no matter how unusual.)

Anecdotes are not evidence that the claim is real;

They are evidence that the claim is true, or that the claimed event did happen, especially if there are several "anecdotes" confirming the claim, e.g., from witnesses who saw the claimed event, and no "anecdotes" contradicting the claim. Like those who witnessed the Jesus healing miracles, and the written accounts reporting it. Those "anecdotes" are evidence (not PROOF) that those events happened.

they are ONLY evidence that someone experienced something they cannot explain.

Yes, something experienced because it did happen and cannot be explained. The Jesus healing miracles are something they cannot explain, but that doesn't change the fact that they happened.

There is no way for you to get around this.

There's nothing to "get around" -- I agree the witnesses could not "explain" what they experienced. They saw Jesus perform those healing acts, and they could not explain it. There's no need "to get around this" in order to believe it happened, based on the evidence. Believing it because there's evidence does not mean one can explain it.

And, yes, if that means we have to throw out any percentage of ancient history, then we throw out that percentage.

Then you're saying we must throw out any report that something happened in history if the one reporting it could not explain it? i.e., that there cannot be any unexplained events?

If that's your point, you're wrong. There's no reason why there cannot be some unusual events in history which are unexplained. The event probably happened, based on the reports that it happened, but the ones reporting it couldn't explain it. That just means there are some events which could not be explained, not that we have to "throw out" all such reports ("anecdotes") because there's no explanation for them.

You are not making a case; you are destroying it.

I'm destroying your case that we cannot believe anything unusual or difficult to explain. It's reasonable to believe it happened if there are reports from the time which say it happened, even if we cannot explain how it happened.

There's no rule of logic or science which says we have to reject all claims about anything unusual or difficult to explain. Rather, if it's unusual, like a "miracle" claim, we need some extra evidence in order to believe it. Such as we have for the Jesus miracle acts, for which there is more evidence than we have for many of the ordinary historical events we routinely believe. And there are no other miracle claims from those times for which there is evidence, or no other examples of such claims which anyone has offered -- or at most, only cases of people performing ancient rites and worshiping a popular ancient deity, as believers today commonly pray to Jesus and sometimes recover from an illness.

I quit reading Lumpenproletariat a long time ago. His arguments are very simple and boil down to this:
I boil his argument down to only two steps:
.. All claims by other religions of their god doing miraculous things are false because it is impossible for humans to do such things.
.. All claims of Jesus doing miraculous things are true because a god can easily do them.
Still waiting.
post 455
You really should read a little of other mythology. Jesus is a late comer to the claims of resurrected gods schtick... Kim Il Sung is the latest that I am aware of that has supposedly resurrected. But earlier (earlier than Jesus) religions' resurrected gods include Osiris, Baal , Asclepius, Achilles, Melqart, Adonis, Eshmun, Dumuzi, etc, etc.
I have seen the pseudo-resurrection list before many times. For those alleged parallels a spurious. Many of those on that list are actually apotheosis stories. Other are simply disappearance stories. Still some of the others are seasonal symbols for crop cycle and such. Yet others are simple Emperor worship. None of those is parallel to the Jewish idea of the resurrection of the dead. But go ahead, pick one, MAKE YOUR CASE and we can have ago at it. I thought it was a great read.
ANOTHER BIG POINT HERE………….. You would have no foundation at all to reason these parallels if you were to be consistent with your hearsay reasoning. Your hearsay process is dismissed.
In effect you show no evidence that you have any idea what other religions mythology include
I have not been challenged in that direction. I could right now claim you have shown me no evidence you understand calculus. Thus I should infer you are ignorant in that regard. You can do better than that.
and yet you discount them because you have assumed your conclusion that Jesus is the only god which makes the Biblical stories absolutely true for you and any other stories false even though you don't know those other stories.
That is a lie. I addressed this and you ignored it. Continuing to repeat it doesn’t make it true.
Back to the Jesus myths vs. Kim Il Sung myths: The only evidence that either have any truth is the stories in their respective tales. The Kim myths have a little edge in that they were written by people that actually knew him while the Jesus myths were written by people over 2000 Kilometers away and decades after his death so by people that could not have possibly be witnesses.
Back to the same lie. Again that ignores the evidence and reasoning I have presented to the contrary. You have not addressed it. You simply ignored it and continue to repeat your flawed reasoning as truth. For me to go further would be gish gallop to you.
The only reason you accept the Jesus myths and even though you don't even know the Kim myths you reject them is because you assume the conclusion you unquestionably accept as true... Sorta like the 9/11 truthers, flat Earthers, and Moon hoaxers.
Lies about my assumption.
I directly addressed your Kim.
Your parallel regarding transcendence fails as is.
You need to rescue it.

I'm destroying your case that we cannot believe anything unusual or difficult to explain. It's reasonable to believe it happened if there are reports from the time which say it happened, even if we cannot explain how it happened.

Which is how we know you believe that St George slew an actual dragon. The Loch Ness Monster is real, Queen Elizabeth is a Lizard, you can't get pregnant the first time you have sex, Sasquatch visits cabins in the Yukon, Paul Bunyan was delivered to his parents by 5 giant storks and the Trabant is a great car.

Your world is amazing!

Which is how we know you believe that St George slew an actual dragon. The Loch Ness Monster is real, Queen Elizabeth is a Lizard, you can't get pregnant the first time you have sex, Sasquatch visits cabins in the Yukon, Paul Bunyan was delivered to his parents by 5 giant storks and the Trabant is a great car.

Your world is amazing!

And also, applying his criteria, it is 'reasonable to believe' all the claims of all the gods of other religions are true and happened as reported... "even if we cannot explain how it happened."

Last edited:
Where "reasonable" is defined as "completely lacking any reason whatsoever."

Well, um, well, is there a problem with that? Faith! my brother, faith! (It’s much more important than reason. God said so. He really really did.)

Which stories?

you answer your own question...

Those stories.

Good, at least you don't mention any from the "pseudo-resurrection list" as Remez puts it, and you seem to be doing similar to what Lumpy also highlights, with the lack of anything from the "pseudo-resurrection list" to be comparable to Jesus, "those type" of stories. You are then saying Jesus is really unique after all?

Yeah, I know what you mean. You’re neither Hebrew nor Jewish. And you want to make it seem like a very arduous deal, so you use weird units of measurement to make it sound bigger than it really is. It’s just not 3 days, dude, at all.

By the way, yesterday I backed out of my garage going more than 600,000 fathoms per fortnight. Impressed?

Its strange that I know a lot of people who know and have Chinese calenders. Or Chinese calenders are easily accessible on-line while these people do NOT have to be ethinically Chinese, and so "logically" this should go for not being Hebrew or Jewish using their calenders.

It was you who wanted to make it a "very arduous deal. I forgot to ask how you come to one and a half days when you said: Use a calculator if you have to. You must have calculated for some reason, "only" the daylight-hours giving you one and a half days.

Dude .... it IS ... three days as we know it.

You don’t know that, by the way.
But I anticipated your dismissal and I agree that millions of people have it much worse than me (such as black mothers, for example, who die much more often in childbirth). But there are others who clearly and obviously show much more fortitude than your Jesus story, and...

True I don't know that for sure, it was an assumption, but you can clarify if you want,... that you were not severly beaten, mistreated and not looked after through your ordeal.

And your anticpation ....

And you dismiss them without even one comment or acknowledgement. POWs held and beaten daily for YEARS, not a couple of hours. Abused child, also held for years and beaten, but not even mature enough to understand. Did you hear that story today about the woman kidnapped by ISIS and made to serve them, with sever beatings, for 10 years?

And you don’t even know what to say.
Because you think this Jesus had it worse than anyone EVAH.
It just doesn’t hold water, my friend.

I didn't want to bother into moving from the previous discussion with a "who had it worse" (was a little lazy tbh).

Did you anticipate I would "dismiss" such things, even the two men to either side of Jesus who were also crucified and the whole big history of many many atrocities and harm around the earth?

Lots of Christians have become convinced. Some have become convinced that God Hates Fags and Soldiers. But Thomas’ first reaction tells the tale of the times, eh?

Indeed it tells the tale of the times. To note that they too had the ability to be skeptical, a need for evidence as we see with Thomas, which is unlike and contradictary to your previous post : They thought they were all miraculous. Miracles were cheap and easy in those days.

They were not it seems, so easy to believe, as often suggested, because they too were "doubtful" of people with all sorts of claims, when they understood with the knowledge and awareness of conjurors, scorcerers, false prophets and charlatans..

Last edited:
atrib
Sorry for the delay
Responding to post 367…
That was great and very specific. It lays a great foundation for me to point out our different lines of reasoning. And that is all I’m doing here. I’m attempting to just show you the reasoning a theist employs to addresses this issue.

But first, in my last post (362) to you, I addressed a concern you did not bring back up here. That was the issue of you calling my reasoning presumptuous because my premises are stated as true. I tried to point out that ….that is the way all arguments are constructed. It does not mean I’m being presumptuous. You certainly can challenge the truth value of every premise and conclusion. Is that understood now?

You have provided no evidence to support these premises. All you have done is call them "facts". The same type of argument could be used to demonstrate the veracity of any number of other stories humans have made up, as the Oz analogy on RationalWiki demonstrates. Without a foundation based on evidence, the argument is flawed.

Even assuming all of your premises to be factual wouldn't alter a reasonable, unbiased person's conclusion that the resurrection story is likely untrue. Even if we were to discover the sworn testimony of a dozen eyewitnesses to the alleged resurrection and aerobatics event, and we could authoritatively establish that this testimony had passed unchanged through the past 2,000 years, and that the testimony was sincere, it still would not meet the extremely high burden of evidence needed to hold such a proposition to be factual.

We have an enormous body of high quality evidence for the naturalistic origin of such stories. Practically every culture around the world has invented stories describing seemingly supernatural events which are usually attributed to intervention by entities with supernatural powers. And this is still happening today, as new cults are born and flourish within our own lifetimes.

On the other hand, the evidence for the Jesus resurrection story is extremely weak. And, such events never occur in the real world. Therefore, an extraordinary volume of high quality evidence is needed to overcome the extraordinary volume of high quality evidence that is available to support the naturalistic origin proposition.

Completely with you, you are arguing against miracles…..but your argument is begging the question…..you are arguing in a circle. I’ll attempt to show you that at the end. But first…………

1. This is big. This is what you are not accounting for when you speak against resurrection. Our definition and understandings of miracles is different. Yours is governed and limited by your epistemology of strict materialistic naturalism. Thus to you miracles are a violation of nature and must be naturally explained. I get it. You are begging the question for naturalism. Specifically more on that later.

I think naturalism is the best tool we have today to build an ontology regarding how the universe works, be it at the most fundamental level with a few, sparse elements, or at higher emergent levels using models or theories constructed with empirical evidence. This is because there is a vast amount of irrefutable evidence that naturalism works. You are able to sit at your desk and communicate with strangers around the world using tools that are products of naturalistic thinking; give me an example of an equivalent set of tools that has been developed using a spiritual or supernatural epistemological foundation.

At the end of the day, I am interested in the truth. And I am willing to consider whatever epistemological tool works best. So I put forward this challenge to you:

Show me a way to seek and reliably evaluate truth claims about the supernatural or spiritual world.

I am calling your bluff. I am asking you to define the epistemological tools you used to construct the ontology you believe to be factual.

(1) Describe the ontology you have constructed where gods and spirits are allowed to exist and intervene in our universe,
(2) describe how such interactions work and how they are in conformance what we observe (the laws of nature), and
(3) describe the epistemological process you used to construct this ontology.

You do not understand what a theist means by miracle. A miracle is an event by definition that can’t be explained naturally because it is supernatural. By supernatural we mean beyond nature. Miracles are NOT a violation of natural they are an overpowering of nature that can’t be explained naturally. Do you see the difference?

You are attacking a strawman. I took the trouble of defining some of the important terms I am using in an earlier post:

In the context of our discussion, a miracle would be an event that is believed to have violated natural laws, whether that is true or not. Like those involving reanimation of humans who have been dead for some days, or of said humans flying up into the sky under their own power.

I qualified my previous statement because certain events can appear to be miraculous because they involve technology that is not available to the viewers. It is hypothetically possible that human corpses can be reanimated even after days following mortality, and that humans can be levitated into the sky. It is hypothetically possible that if a universe creator god exists, it has the power to achieve such events that would appear to be miraculous to us. The real question is, why should we believe that such a creator god exists and that it intervened in the very specific manner described in the Bible?

But……
As soon as I say that you likely further reason against me….well…..that opens the door to all fantasy, Santa, etc. Because that is your definition of supernatural events ALL are fantasy. Guilt by association.

No, that is NOT what I am saying. My position is that all claims that apparently violate the known laws of nature should be treated with extreme skepticism. And that the evidentiary standard required to validate such claims should be extraordinarily high, consistent with the extraordinary nature of the claims. The difference is not subtle. Every claim should be evaluated on its own merits, be it tooth fairies, or the resurrection of human corpses and their controlled flight into the upper atmosphere.

But……
From theistic understanding……… It does not open the door to fantasy and here is why……reason still governs what we can understand about the supernatural.

You are wrong again. By definition, supernatural events are events that never happen, and they cannot be observed and tested, or recreated in a lab. Because the laws of the universe do not permit supernatural events to occur, and we have no experience with such phenomena, it would be impossible for a human being to use reason to understand supernatural phenomena. As a corollary, if we do observe an event that appears to violate the known laws of the universe, then our logical conclusion should be that our understanding of the universe is incomplete or flawed (as we know it to be), and that the event was driven by some natural phenomena that we are not presently aware of.

Hence the argument. I was arguing for one specific event to be miraculous because it is reasonable God exists.

This is a baseless argument based on a "premise" that is not supported by evidence. There is no evidence to even suggest the existence of any god, much less the proposition that "it is reasonable to believe the Christian god exists". In fact, literally every single true claim we have ever made about our reality involves zero intervention by a supernatural god.

When I suggest that the supernatural exists I’m not inferring all fantasy is true. I’m reasoning TO the event being miraculous once we have eliminated ALL of the reasonable natural explanations. So yes naturalism has a prominent role here.

Great. Now all you have to do is eliminate all possible (not reasonable) naturalistic explanations, known and unknown. Now would be a good time to start doing just that.

See……
You started out there when you admitted (post 238) that miracles were possible given God’s existence.

Actually, this is what I said:

If a god exists that can create universes, then it would not be unreasonable to assume that this god could also suspend the laws of nature as it sees fit.

I have assumed that a god that possesses the technological ability to create universes may also possesses the ability to interact with its creations in technically sophisticated ways we may not understand. It's an assumption that would have to be verified as part of our investigative due diligence, but we can cross that bridge if we get to it.

So stay with me here…..if miracles are possible then I need provide and argument to delineated the resurrection from fantasy. Hence my argument that the resurrection was a miracle, because given those four facts you cannot have a better natural explanation unless you beg the question that all explanations must be natural.

Since…….
Then you have turned this back around the 180 degrees and think I’m trying to argue that the resurrection proves God’s existence. That I’m not doing with the argument I gave you. More later.

First, I don't particularly care if the explanation relies on supernatural premises. What I do deeply care about is that the premises be supported by appropriate evidence. You are allowed to submit supernatural explanations as long as you can support them with an appropriate level of evidence.

Second, there is no evidence to establish either of the following propositions:

1. A god exists.
2. About 2,000 years ago, the corpse of a man named Jesus was resurrected and then levitated into the atmosphere, seemingly under its own power.

In other words, based on the available evidence, neither of the following arguments can be demonstrated to be true:

1. A god exists, therefore it performed the seemingly miraculous events described in the Bible.
2. Seemingly miraculous events occurred as described in the Bible, therefore god exists.

Moreover, for argument (1), even if you could demonstrate that a god exists, it would still not necessarily follow that this god intervened in our affairs in the manner described in the Bible regarding the Jesus resurrection story.

And for argument (2), even if you could demonstrate that the miraculous events described in the Bible actually happened (i.e. the laws of the universe were broken or overpowered), it would still not follow that these events could be attributed to Biblegod's intervention.

2. You keep referencing my agreement with you. But misunderstand how I agreeing with you. I agree that as you nakedly put it “flying zombies” are fantasy. My argument was to reason why the resurrection was not naked (non-evidenced) fantasy. Think about that. I must present reasoning that separates the resurrection from fantasy….hence the argument. So as I pointed out to you several times…..my assertion that the resurrection was miraculous was not naked fantasy…..I provided evidence and reasoning that would separate the resurrection from naked fantasy.

Your best argument appears to rely on the premise that the alleged witnesses to the resurrection had no motive to lie, or to behave the way they allegedly behaved in the story. You are convinced that nothing else could possibly explain why the story exists, other than the story being true. Thats all you have, your personal lack of imagination in coming up with an alternative explanation. Your argument is not just a naked assertion, it is also an example of special pleading taken to the extreme.

So…..yes…..
People should be skeptical of the resurrection being fantasy…..I was. But I used to just blindly equate the resurrection (supernatural event) with fantasy. The resurrection was dismissed by quilt of association. And that is what you are reasoning there with your conclusion statement 3 above.

The resurrection story was dismissed because the appropriate burden of evidence was not met.

So………...
Being skeptical is important. Thus I challenge you to analyze your skeptical reasoning here. You blindly beg that question for strict naturalism and conclude all supernatural events are fantasy by nothing more than a blind inference to a guilt of association.

I did no such thing. I am interested only in the truth, as explained previously.

And special pleading again.

Thus you can’t address the argument I gave you. You keep countering with irrational tangents to the reasoning because you can’t consider the reasonableness of the supernatural to begin with.

Your proposition regarding a supernatural explanation to the origin of the resurrection story was rejected as unreasonable because the burden of evidence was not met.

But lets shine a light on your argument one more time. It seemingly goes something like this:
I can't think of any good reason why the witnesses to the resurrection would lie, or behave the way they did in the story. And I can't think of any good reason why someone would fabricate such a story. Therefore the resurrection story is likely to be true.

If I am misstating your argument, please correct me.

But that is where I was when you set the stage back in post 242. My argument was not trying to prove miracles are possible that seemed granted for sake to continuing the discussion. My argument was the give evidence and reasoning that those four facts around the event of the resurrection were not fantasy but miraculous.

Even assuming your premises to be factual would not satisfy the burden of proof required to support such an extraordinary claim. We have been through this before, and I am getting really tired of repeating myself.

This would include the Jesus resurrection story, the story of Hanuman the flying monkey god, the story of Bumba vomiting up the Sun, the Moon and life, the story of Muhammad riding up to Heaven on a winged horse, and so on.

I get that….but your reasoning is overtly fallacious. It is reasoning by simple guilt of association. At least that is how it is presented there.

You know how you can get rid of the "guilt by association"? Provide the evidence that sets your story apart from all the others!

The standard for evidence is extraordinarily high, and consistent with the extraordinary nature of the claims, because such claims go against everything we know about reality.

Two parts.

1. This is self-defeating. It sounds reasonable, but it is not. Think about it. That is, as stated, a universal truth. Where is your extraordinary evidence that it is true? I addressed this with bilby earlier with flying horses.

The basis for all belief is sufficient evidence. Your subjective inference to the extraordinary is a volitional bar setting and self-defeating. But it sounds cool.

We are debating semantics here. Consider the three propositions numbered 1 through 3 below:

1. I own a personal computer.
2. I own a yacht worth US $500,000,000.
3. I can overpower the laws of nature to bring corpses back to life, and make them fly off into space under their own power.

Proposition 1 is not extraordinary in any meaningful sense of the word. We have plenty of evidence that people all over the world own personal computers, and it would be reasonable for someone living in the United States and posting on the internet to own such a device. Most reasonable people would have no trouble accepting such a claim as credible based simply on the word of the person making the claim.

Proposition 2 is somewhat extraordinary. There is quite a lot of evidence that such yachts exist, and that they are owned by people. However, the evidence also tells us that very few people actually have the financial resources to buy such a yacht. In other words, people owning yachts worth US $500,000,000 is a rare event, and consequently, most reasonable people would require a higher burden of evidence in order to be satisfied that the claim were likely true; they would be unlikely to simply take someone's word for it.

Proposition 3 is extraordinary. All the evidence we have tells us that corpses can't be revived after several days of being dead, and that corpses cannot fly into the upper atmosphere under their own power. There is an extraordinary volume of extremely high quality evidence that tells us that this claim is likely to be untrue. Consequently, a reasonable person would require an extraordinary volume of extremely high quality evidence to be swayed otherwise, to overcome all the evidence to the contrary.

So tell me, what level of evidence do you consider "sufficient" to believe in the Jesus resurrection story. And while you are at it, tell us what happens when you apply this same standard of "sufficient" evidence to other, similarly extraordinary claims.

2….” because such claims go against everything we know about reality. “….but can you see our differences here….. “Know” is the key here….b/c you’re making a philosophical statement about epistemology.

Your statement about reality is blind to the fact that it begs the question for natural explanations only, mine does not. So your statement infers God’s (supernatural) existence is unreasonable. But our discussion was granted those grounds. Because you were trying to understand a theists reasoning here. So again if God’s existence is reasonable….then the reality would include the supernatural, thus it does not go against what one can know about reality.

I am going to quote the following passage from the book "The Big Picture" by physicist Dr. Sean Carroll (page 134). Maybe this will help you better understand my position.

Dr. Sean Carroll:
The relationship between science and naturalism is not that science presumes naturalism; it's that science has provisionally concluded that naturalism is the best picture of the world we have available. We lay out all of the ontologies that we can think of, assign some prior credences to them, collect as much information as we can, and update those credences accordingly. At the end of the process, we find that naturalsim gives the best account of the evidence we have, and assign it the highest credence. New evidence could lead to future adjustments in our credences, but right now naturalism is well ahead of its alternatives.

Again I’m not saying your epistemology has to match mine. I’m just trying to help you understand that the “reality” you talk about is different from mine.

So this is your arbitrary standard …………

The standard of evidence requires that all naturalistic explanations be ruled out before we can consider a supernatural explanation to be credible.
….founded on your naturalism only standard. With that said, I do agree that all natural explanations should weighed and considered. Remember I’m asserting that a miracle is specifically a supernatural event that cannot be explained naturally. So I’m with you there just not to the extraordinary theatrical level.

Its not theatrical; its a statement of fact. I can point to billions of cases where corpses were never reanimated and flew off into the sky. You can't point to a single case where this actually happened, in all of mankind's history. So, yes, the weight of the evidence is very one-sided, and it would require an extraordinary effort to set aside this mountain of evidence.

Continuing…….

Which is pretty much impossible to satisfy for any such claim that humans have ever come up with.
…..from your philosophical position IT IS IMPOSSIBLE. That is where you are missing it, right there. Your philosophical position is a miracle is a violation of natural law because it begs the question that the supernatural does not exist.

You are misrepresenting my position again.

I keep trying (again post 238) to point this out to you….If god’s exists miracles are possible. Not the other way around…..like here……

In the case of the Jesus resurrection story, this high standard is not going to be satisfied simply by speculating on the motives of the characters allegedly involved with the story.
…..I’m not arguing that the resurrection infers God’s existence is reasonable.

You are misrepresenting my position again.

I’m arguing the the resurrection was a miracle given the context for discussion that miracles are possible given God’s existence. You agreed. Not that God existed, but that miracles are possible if he existed. So the stage then was set for me to provide reasoning as to why a particular event could be considered miraculous. Hence my argument.

Great. So we have conditionally agreed (see above) on a hypothetical proposition. Can we move on to the evidence now?

But……
You offered what you reasoned to be a better natural explanation of those four facts. And that was….. that people made things up.

It is a better explanation because we have mountains of extremely high quality evidence that people make up stories. And none that corpses can be reanimated and fly off into the sky.

And, once again for the record, there potentially exists an unknown number of naturalistic explanations for the origin of the Jesus resurrection story. "Someone made something up" just happens to be one of the simplest.

So OK…we reasonably began to discuss the two explanations.

And in that context…….that context…..

I challenged the motivation (you brought it up) of the disciples to make it up….
Just to counter your explanation. That’s all……
You then…..constructed a straw man………..
Turned the issue of motivation into my entire argument and inferred my reasoning inadequate, insufficient and non-extraordinary.
BUT…………….
That was not my argument….it was a counter to your explanation regarding motivation.
Be Fair.

Point taken. I may have misunderstood where you were going with your argument. So go ahead and present your full argument. Assuming that is why you are participating in the thread.

So go ahead and present your full argument.

Since you'll never get a straight answer from him, here it is: Magic is real only in regard to his pet beliefs.

Assuming that is why you are participating in the thread.

It is not. The reason why cult members like her and Learner and Lumpy participate in these kinds of "but I have PROOF for my faith" threads is because they are all closeted atheists desperately trying to convince themselves that they still believe.

As I've pointed out many times, it sure as shit isn't for our benefit, regardless of what they tell themselves.

You are then saying Jesus is really unique after all?
Nope. Not what I said.
I said your Jesus story is not unique. It’s just like all the other messiah stories of the time and is not more believable than any of them.

Its strange that I know a lot of people who know and have Chinese calenders. Or Chinese calenders are easily accessible on-line while these people do NOT have to be ethinically Chinese, and so "logically" this should go for not being Hebrew or Jewish using their calenders.

It was you who wanted to make it a "very arduous deal. I forgot to ask how you come to one and a half days when you said: Use a calculator if you have to. You must have calculated for some reason, "only" the daylight-hours giving you one and a half days.

Dude .... it IS ... three days as we know it.
No idea what you are talking about with Chinese calendars. Are you chinese? Do you use one regularly?

My point is that 3pm Friday to sometime before Dawn Sunday is not 3 days. It is 40 hours at the most and for all you know could be as few as 2 since you have no idea at all how long a person behind a stone remains unconscious (Schroedinger’s Jesus?). “Three days” is 24 hours times 3. That is 72 hours. Not 40 hours. Even by Jewish standards, it is not 3 days.

If your kid leaves the house on Friday after school and says “I’ll be back in 3 days,” she does not return before dawn on Sunday. Likewise, if your kid leaves Friday after school and says, “I’ll be back before dawn on Sunday!” But instead comes home 3 days later, you’ll be quite anxious.

This is obvious to the most casual observer. I’m surprised you need me to explain it to you.

They call it “on the third day” but since modern non-jews don’t talk like that, and you know they don’t, your use of it is simply to make it sound like longer than it was. You are embellishing the tale - just like the original authors did in many additional ways. You are Paul Bunyon-ing your tale. Not a good look for Jesus, though, Schroedinger’s Jesus or the regular kind.

I didn't want to bother into moving from the previous discussion with a "who had it worse" (was a little lazy tbh).

Did you anticipate I would "dismiss" such things, even the two men to either side of Jesus who were also crucified and the whole big history of many many atrocities and harm around the earth?
Of course you don’t want to talk about “who had it worse,” you just want to proclaim that this sacrifice was somehow epic and world-changing and incredibly “generous” without comparing it to other MUCH more significant sacrifices. You want to call it an incredible sacrifice and have everyone treat it as such without ever comparing it to any other sacrifice. You want to just assert this one is the biggest.

Of course you do. That’s what Christians do.

Indeed it tells the tale of the times. To note that they too had the ability to be skeptical, a need for evidence as we see with Thomas, which is unlike and contradictary to your previous post : They thought they were all miraculous. Miracles were cheap and easy in those days.

They were not it seems, so easy to believe, as often suggested, because they too were "doubtful" of people with all sorts of claims, when they understood with the knowledge and awareness of conjurors, scorcerers, false prophets and charlatans..

You were using Thomas as an argument to how people back then were aware of bullshit. I was saying there was a lot of bs claims and a lot of people believed in them. They were cheap and easy. You said Thomas’ doubt proves that people were thinking. I do not dispute that some were more gullible than others, same as today.

So there were lots of cheap miracles. Lots of people believed them. Some people were skeptical at first and fell for it later. Some people never fell for it. Your Jesus story includes all of these. None of them make your story more believable. More people are skeptical today than were then, in part because of how much better secular science has made people view the reality of the world around us, like actual death and the “resurrections” that are actually just mistaken death not actual death.

The fact remains that the most likely explanation for this “resurection,” if it even happened, is that the person in the crypt was never actually dead. THAT happens a lot and even moreso back then when they weren’t very good at establishing actual death.

The later inclusion/embellishment of the Doubting Thomas story confirms that that audience--the "church members"--did not believe that the Jesus character was resurrected, just like their grandparents didn't believe it when Paul tried to teach it either.

It is not something that actually happened, of course; it is a writer's embellishment in direct response to an audience that is rejecting the story. That's what cults do; they change their story to make it more forceful/believable.

But the problem with doing that, of course, as I have abundantly shown, is that it throws the whole logic of the story off, precisely because it's a later embellishment meant to fix a hole in the dogma or address a group concern. But because it's trying to patch a hole, it misses the reason for the hole in the first place.

We see a very clear indication of how each subsequent author changes certain elements of the story, but keeps the main features of the story more-or-less intact from retelling to retelling. The only elements that get changed, in fact, directly correlate to real-world objections. For example, Mark, the first time the story is written down that we know of, ends his version with an open tomb and a young man sitting inside. The young man isn't a divine entity and he doesn't even really affirm that Jesus resurrected from the dead, merely that "he is risen." That can mean anything. The implication is resurrection from being dead, but that's not what the man says.

And we know the ending after that was added on for precisely this reason; as written, there were too many followers--believers, supposedly and only the gentiles of course, because no Jews believe such idiocy--who nevertheless didn't believe that Jesus resurrected from the dead.

So the next time it's written--Matthew--the author expands/embellishes certain things. It's not a "young man" now, it's two angels for some unknown reason that is never explained and they serve absolutely no other purpose but to be miraculous distractions meant to, once again, imply that a miraculous event has occurred.

If there are two angels sitting in the "empty" tomb, then that MUST mean Jesus resurrected from the dead. And not that some mysterious man is sitting inside an empty tomb, which could easily mean the body was taken or it's a fraud or any number of other things.

Then the next time the story is told, even more embellishments and particular changes, while the majority of the story stays nearly identical (including words/phrases being verbatim, etc).

Such that, it's no longer just an ordinary young man, but now it's angels that serve no purpose and even a disciple--aka, an audience surrogate-- now questions the resurrection, but his doubt--like all doubt--is forever satiated, so that you, dear reader/audience member can likewise not be a "doubting Thomas." Etc.

Again, if this were all Mithraism or Scientology, every single person itt would fully agree and arrive at the exact same conclusions, but because there are some itt who ARE Scientologists (equivalent), then we have to keep doing this stupid dance.

The later inclusion/embellishment of the Doubting Thomas story confirms that that audience--the "church members"--did not believe that the Jesus character was resurrected, just like their grandparents didn't believe it when Paul tried to teach it either.

... snip ...

The problem is much more basic. What evidence is there that the Bible stories should be taken as a better representation of actual events than the Iliad or Aesop's Fables? is there any more reason to believe that Thomas was a real person than that Patroclus was?

The Bible does include some historic events like Roman occupation of the area and the Iliad includes the historic event of the Trojan war.

The Bible includes a god and miraculous deeds and the Iliad includes gods and miraculous deeds.

the Bible includes morality lessons and Aesop's Fables is all about morality lessons.

The greatest difference that I see is that both the Iliad and Aesop are much better written and more interesting than the Bible.

ETA:
Plus, The resurrected Achilles could kick the resurrected Jesus' butt.

Last edited:
Reports that a "miracle" happened are evidence that it happened --

despite your theory that it defies "the laws of nature"

There is nothing that defies natural laws about an 11 month old boy playing a piano and singing.

It defies common experience for anyone to be able to play piano suddenly without having had any lessons or training. There are a few known cases of this, so we know it can happen. But it cannot be explained. Everyone else CANNOT do this. It's not that they haven't learned, but that they can't do it, while a tiny few "savants" have done this, without anyone being able to explain how it is possible. For ordinary people it requires years of learning, and some learn faster. But virtually no one plays piano instantly without having ever taken lessons or studying.

And there are some other examples, like the ability to perform complicated math problems which a professional mathematician requires several minutes to perform. There are a few savants, probably fewer than a dozen, who can do such problems in less than 5 seconds. No one taught them. No one can explain how they have this ability. There have been some TV documentaries about this.

This is in the same category as the ability to heal without having had any medical training. Except that for the healing talent there are no current documented cases. The Rasputin case of 100 years ago is documented, but not enough is known to give it the same certainty we have about today's known savant cases.

There are documented cases today of persons who have instant or unlearned talent which is impossible for normal humans without training over many years. The following video gives 10 examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZsJ6BtOh60

There are no agreed explanations how someone can perform acts which are impossible for 99.9999% of us without years of training. These cases defy "natural law" as we know it.

The boy used fingers to play the piano and vocal chords to sing, something nearly any other tot his age is capable of doing.

No, they're not capable of doing what he did, other than by learning and training for a period of years. He had this talent without having to learn it. There are a few documented cases of this. It is something impossible for virtually everyone, and it's not possible to "learn" how to instantly acquire the talent to do these things without any training or lessons.

The only difference is that he did it better than most.

No, the difference is that he suddenly had this talent without ever having any training. Probably there are experienced pianists who play better than he does, but they required many years of learning, training, in order to gain this talent.

This possession of a talent without any training, or learning period, is unexplainable and defies common experience, outside the very tiny number of cases which have been documented. It is contrary to the "laws of nature" in every sense except in the sense that it has happened a few times. Which shows that the reports of something happening are evidence that it happened, and it's reasonable to believe it, even though it violates the "laws of nature" as we understand it.

Or, if there are sufficient reports that something did happen, these reports are more reliable, as a source of truth of events, to inform us what is happening, than our ideas about "the laws of nature," which are not comprehensive enough to explain everything that happens. In other words, there are some events which probably happened, because we have the reports of them, and these are sufficient to overrule our judgments about what is allowed by "the laws of nature." Of course we have to be skeptical of reports claiming something happened, and not believe them without checking, but these cases are documented, of savants with a talent to perform something which normally requires training. As with "miracle" claims, etc., we require extra evidence, like extra sources rather than only one.

So, since we have extra sources for the miracles of Jesus, these reports are more credible than other miracle claims from ancient times for which there is not such evidence. These reports, the Gospel accounts, are evidence giving us extra sources, near to the alleged event, and so are not overruled by someone's theories about "the laws of nature."

Savants are not well understood but they exist.

Yes, "not well understood" meaning that they have abilities which seem to defy "the laws of nature," because the norm is that it requires an extended learning period to be able to play a musical instrument well, or to perform complex math problems, etc. And yet there are a few persons who seem to suddenly have these abilities, and there's no "natural" explanation for it.

Find a peer-reviewed example of a kid using telekinesis to play the piano from across the room and we're dealing with something that defies natural laws.

It's not about "something which defies the natural laws," whatever that means. The question is whether these acts have happened or not, and about the fact that for normal humans they are not possible.

Maybe there really is NOTHING which defies "natural laws." Just cases which SEEM to, because our theories about "natural law" are so limited. The issue is not what "defies" natural laws, but what apparently did happen. There apparently are these cases of someone displaying talent, at professional level, without having ever trained, which seems to defy "natural law" or common experience. But there are the few documented cases.

And we also have the documented case of miracle healing acts, reported in the Gospel accounts, which also defy common experience and some theories about "the laws of nature." And there could also be other cases too of some healing miracles, though such claims are usually false. Whether they do defy "natural laws" is not what matters. Maybe he did those acts in accordance with "natural laws" even though normal humans cannot do them. What matters is that he did those acts, or we have evidence that he did, however he did it, or regardless of anyone's theories about "natural laws."

"Reports" from biased witnesses is absolutely the worst possible method of uncovering actual history.

Virtually all our historical record comes from biased witnesses. Of course some of them were less biased than others. But all of them are credible, when their reports are consistent with other reports, and when we have extra sources, and when the reports are not due to centuries of mythologizing and institutionalized tradition.

It is not the case that the source is automatically "biased" and unreliable just because it contains miracle claims. Rather, when it contains miracle claims, we require extra sources to verify it, extra scrutiny and skepticism, asking the critical questions, etc. But it is illogical and even unscientific to condemn as "biased" everything containing miracle claims and dogmatically rule it out.

Always has been, always will be.

We've always had to rely on "biased" witnesses for most of our knowledge of what happened in the past.

We've always had to accept the existing sources available to us, even though we wish there were more and better sources. That we don't have perfect sources for what happened in the 1st century does not mean those events didn't happen.

We don't know that the Gospel writers were any more biased than other writers we rely on for the history. Though it's true that they believed the Jesus miracles happened, we don't know that this was due to "bias" rather than legitimate judgment based on the facts they had, their sources, etc. We don't know that Tacitus or Plutarch or Josephus, etc. wouldn't also have believed it if they had come across the same information/sources that the Gospel writers knew.

Back
Top Bottom