• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Fire them all: 57 Buffalo cops resign because two assholes got suspended for putting 75 yr old protester in emergency room

Axulus

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Right leaning skeptic
Time to start cutting out the rot. Get rid of them all:

Entire Buffalo Emergency Response Team resigns in solidarity with cops who pushed old man
By Lia Eustachewich

June 5, 2020 | 3:56pm

The entire Buffalo police Emergency Response Team has resigned following the suspension of two officers who were caught on video shoving a 75-year-old protester to the pavement, according to reports Friday.

A total of 57 officers resigned from the emergency team in solidarity with the two suspended cops, who pushed Martin Gugino, causing him to stumble backward and crack his head on the ground, WGRZ reported.

“Fifty-seven resigned in disgust because of the treatment of two of their members, who were simply executing orders,” said John Evans, president of the Buffalo Police Benevolent Association.

https://news.google.com/articles/CA...whK-LAjD4ySww-9W0BQ?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

1945 called and it wants its Nuremberg defense back. Fucking assholes.

From the article said:
The officers who resigned are still employed, just no longer part of the Emergency Response Team, according to WIVB.

I'm pretty certain I'm not the only one who has a problem with this. Coupled with the fact the original police statement of the incident before they knew there was video footage was that he "tripped and fell", I don't think any of them deserve to be cops.

Yes, they followed orders and then their bosses didn’t back them up. A 75 yr old slams his head into the pavement with a deafening (to people with empathy) smack, and they march on. Fuck them and the systemic bullshit that is what is viable policing.

I remember being a lot more on the fence about the police 20 yrs ago, but it is clear, the rotten apples have ruined the bunch. There are good cops, brave cops, but their existence is made irrelevant by the silent support for all the bad cops.

It's fear of the shield wall. There cannot be sporadic protestors standing up to it. They will fall. They need to act in concert against the police force. What are the options when peaceful protestors are met with violent force? Fight, capitulate, or self-immolate.

Fire all of them, if they think that shoving someone on the pavement, causing a brain injury and then walking away is acceptable behavior.

Obviously, the police in many cities are totally out of control. The police in my small city haven't shot any unarmed people, as fas as I know, but I think we have far more police here than we need. I"d much rather see that money used to expand our pubic health department and to give our teachers raises, along with our lower paid essential workers. I'm not saying we shouldn't have a police department, but it could be downsized substantially and we'd still have more than enough police to deal with violent criminals, break ins, etc.

One thing that would help would be to decriminalize all recreational drugs and legalize cannabis on the federal level. Many of the inappropriate violent acts committed by the police are due to drug raids. If the drugs weren't illegal, that would cut down on the need for so many police and it would help us stop putting so many, mostly black males, in prison. It's a well known fact that white people use recreational drugs at least at the same rate as black people do. But, far more black folks are imprisoned for using or selling these drugs. ETOH is one of the most harmful drugs out there if used in excess, but it's legal and regulated. If the other drugs were legalized, or at least decriminalized, we would save an enormous amount of money on enforcement and trials, and imprisonment. It worked for Portugal without increasing drug use. It could work here as well. But, I digress.

Police unions are another huge problem. If police unions were more like other unions, that would be fine. But, can you imagine a nurses union protecting a nurse who abused her patients! No, neither can I. So, a police union shouldn't have the power to defend a bad cop. Unions should be about pay, benefits, working conditions and such, not about defending incompetent employees from being fired. The Minneapolis Police Union has declared that that protests are a terrorist movement! WTF! Have these assholes ever read the 1st amendment to the constitution. The vast majority of the protests were peaceful, and in some cases, it was the police who acted like terrorists or warriors who perceived the citizens as the enemy.

Then there is the militarization of the police departments. Giving military equipment to police stations can give some police the idea that citizens are the enemy. I'd also like to see those who have had recent combat experience, more carefully screened for mental health issues and tendencies to be violent. Combat often does terrible things to some people.

All of the above have the potential to influence our police to serve and protect the public, instead of acting like warriors who are trying to defeat an enemy, the enemy being the rest of us.

Fire all of them, if they think that shoving someone on the pavement, causing a brain injury and then walking away is acceptable behavior.

This is very standard police behavior when they know they've fucked up. No one should be surprised. I swear to fucking Christ these guys must be connected nationwide.

What they do it try to make someone else look like the bad guy. It's your typical coverup and redirection, it's clever, but it's what they've been getting away with forever. By resigning they are trying to make themselves look like the good guys who can't get their job done because they're under the microscope. Never mind that they fucked up again big time by hurting this absolutely harmless person, we're certainly not going to apologize and accept that we made a mistake because by blowing smoke and making someone else look like the bad guy we've historically been able to exonerate ourselves and get away with this shit.

Not only did they cause harm and then file a false report to cover it up, if the video had not emerged they probably would have filed multiple charges against this guy to cover their asses, hoping for some kind of out of court settlement.

Fire every fucking one of them if they think they didn't make a mistake by hurting this guy and then lying about what really happened.

I guess we’re lucky the commander didn’t give the order to open fire. They would have “simply executed orders”.

While "following orders" isn't an excuse, it is a relevant fact the points to the culpability of the commanders who currently aren't being punished. I could respect these cops, if instead of demanding no punishment for the officers who pushed the man, they were demanding that their commanders be the most harshly punished.

While "following orders" isn't an excuse, it is a relevant fact the points to the culpability of the commanders who currently aren't being punished. I could respect these cops, if instead of demanding no punishment for the officers who pushed the man, they were demanding that their commanders be the most harshly punished.

They're not talking about the guy who heads up the riot squad - their complaint isn't to the guy for whom they act as goons and sets their rules-of-engagement for the day. What they're saying is they want senior leadership to get scrutiny, specifically for allowing an investigation to go through, because they were given the broad task of 'protecting the city' therefore anything that they do while serving that general purpose should be done with impunity.

I think the comparisons to the Nuremberg defense are a bit too glib. At least the Nazi guards felt the responsibility lie somewhere if not with them. In this case the argument is that there's nothing to be responsible for.

I think we all know the likelihood that's what's happening here.

This is unprecedented. In just about every other profession I can think of, when members of it are caught publicly stepping out of line, there is at least the self awareness to walk softly afterwards. Yet in the last week, US cops have decided to double down and drive into people, put septuagenarian into hospital and gas peaceful protesters with zero fucks given about the scrutiny or consequences.

"We're better off without cops". isn't rhetorical hyperbole anymore. For some peaceful law abiding citizens, that's a depressing fact.

William Barr was on CBS's Face The Nation this morning saying that there is no systemic problem with our police force. It's just that as it happens there are still racist individuals in our society. That's utter BS. When cities can have Special Response Teams that roam the streets like Brown Shirts it's not the individual who is the main problem. If the individual officer attempts to show some compassion he quickly gets put back line and no doubt will get a reprimand. The shocking thing about the George Floyd murder was that the cops involved looked like they were on autopilot. No emotion. Apathy. It wasn't that they didn't care. Concern for public safety wasn't even an issue.

Last edited:
*22 months later*

Meh... no intended harm, no foul.
article said:
“While Gugino might well have believed that he was engaged in some type of civil disobedience or, perhaps, acting out a role in some type of political theater, Gugino was definitely not an innocent bystander,” Selchick wrote, noting the protester was in the square past an 8 p.m. curfew and did not comply with the officers’ orders to move back.
Gugino would spend a month in the hospital with a fractured skull. For those not aware, spending a month in a hospital isn't fun. I can't imagine what it was like during the pandemic!

But what about the real victims?
article said:
Thomas H. Burton, attorney for the Buffalo Police Benevolent Association, which represented the officers in the disciplinary proceedings, told the Buffalo News that the ruling was “the right decision” and an “across-the-board victory for Buffalo Police officers.”

“This has been a long, arduous 22 months for two officers who were castigated by everyone from their governor to their county executive and district attorney,” Burton said. “I spoke to them both, and they are anxious to return to work."
So it appears that they didn't use what would be considered 'excessive' force because the guy wasn't being cooperative and they didn't intend to harm him (kind of like me backing up my car into a child on a bike isn't a problem because I didn't intend to kill anyone). No, they didn't bludgeon him with nightsticks, but you don't shove people in their 70s. Like ever. Why? Not stable. So while the officers didn't go all out Rodney King style on him, using any force on an elderly person seems 'excessive' to me. And what we are hearing from the Police Department is that the true victims are the two officers, because Gugino wasn't an "innocent bystander".

I have to confess I’m struggling with the term elderly, especially coupled with the word unstable.

The video that I saw showed officers behaving in a way that was inappropriate if he had been 40 years old. It wasn’t called for nor was their lack of concern aster the man was down.

Back
Top Bottom