• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Fired for advancing the homophone agenda

I have; and Wheeler didn't coin it, just popularize it.

Twenty three men did walk out of the Black Hole of Calcutta, which sort of spoils the metaphor.
It seems pretty apt to me -- a lot more men went in and never came out, it was so densely packed.

Who did coin the term "black hole" to refer to the big dense thing in space?

A journalist called Ann Ewing.

Twenty three men did walk out of the Black Hole of Calcutta, which sort of spoils the metaphor.
It seems pretty apt to me -- a lot more men went in and never came out, it was so densely packed.

Oh, shoot, now you're making me go do research...

... Apparently, nobody knows. Probably some graduate student. (Ewing didn't claim to have coined it either, but she didn't say who she heard it from.) The most informative article I've found is here.

I believe they are called black holes because they are so dense light does not escape their gravity- so that is how they would appear - as a black hole in space.

The Calcutta one is something different.

It's pretty logical--they're black and things fall in.

Back
Top Bottom