• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foodie Thread

B-Day Cake. I need more practice to get it to look better.

2702eca63f64124d0785789568d396d4.jpg

I think it looks wonderful. A leaning mint kitty kat with sprinkles on it's pink head. It's got love written all over it. You can't get that with a store bought cake.

For the record, not leaning. Also a panda bear. A kitty kat would also have whiskers. ;)

Reactions: WAB
I made steak and chicken fajitas with sweet onion and red bell pepper for lunch today. Yummy!

Almost lost them though. My wife wanted to boil some potatoes and turned the burner under the fajita mixture on instead of the burner under the potatoes. Luckily I caught it.

Oh

And the 12 piece set of new T-Fal cookware I bought off of eBay arrived today. Whoo hoo!

A long heat wave and new meds that make me sweat like crazy have me eating only cold foods for a while. Today's recipe is a bean salad inspired by two or three recipes I found online.

brown rice
chick peas
kidney beans
black beans
corn and peas (thawed from frozen)
minced garlic
diced onion
diced fresh tomato, might use canned next time to see how I like it
olive oil
lime juice
a tiny bit of taco seasonings, just wanted a hint, not a full on Mexican flavored dish.
Mrs. Dash garlic and herb
oregano
salt and pepper

I think that's it. Roughly 3/4 to 1 c of each of the beans and the peas/corn combined, 1.5 c rice, 1/2 c diced onion, 1/4 c minced garlic, two small tomatoes, juice of one lime, probably about 1/3 c of olive oil. (I put that shit on everything. :D) I don't know how much seasonings, just "to taste."

So good. :)

Now I want to find a cold salad recipe with walnuts and cranberries.

Oh

And the 12 piece set of new T-Fal cookware I bought off of eBay arrived today. Whoo hoo!

I have fond memories as newlyweds shopping at Akron.

We're retired now, about eighty, and part of All-Clad Nation at Sur la Table.

Yes it does taste better when prepared in the good stuff. For instance Ratatouille is much better when made in Le Creuset with Balsamic, Le Crema, virgin Olive oil, calamatta, mini peppers, zucchini, egg plant, fresh tomatoes, onions, bay leaves, garlic, oregano, pinches of S and P, popping the egg in last to finish the dish. All served with La Brea toast chunks in a handled soup bowl, accompanied with espresso ruined with cream and sugar to taste in bed facing views of lake and ocean beyond. Ooh la la.

After a while one needs it all.

I want to make this King Alfred Oat Cakes recipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhSj_VMjmUA

MODERN RECIPE
INGREDIENTS
250g oats
½ Cup Oat Flour (46g)
1 ½ sticks (170g) butter melted
50g dried fruit chopped (apples, apricots, cherries)
6 tablespoons (126g) honey
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)

METHOD
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C OR Set a skillet or frying pan over medium high heat. Cooking these on a skillet is closer to the way the Anglo-Saxons would have done it, but it is considerably more difficult.
2. Add the oats, dried fruit, cinnamon, and salt to a medium bowl and mix well. Then mix in the honey and the butter. Once fully incorporated, add the oat flour and mix to combine.
3. With your hands, form small flat patties fairly thin and about 3 inches across and set them on a lined baking sheet (or on a plate if you are using a skillet.)
4. If you are baking the cakes, bake in the oven for 10 - 12 minutes, or until they start to darken around the edges. Place the cakes on a wire rack to cool completely.
OR
5. If you are using a skillet or frying pan, gently place several cakes onto the pan. Leave them for 1 - 1½ min, then using a spatula, flip the cakes gently so they do not break, and cook for another 1 minute. The cakes should be browned (possibly slightly scorched) on both sides. Then set them on a wire rack to cool. Repeat until all the cakes are cooked.

I will probably add an egg to the recipe for binding and because eggs magically make food better most of the time.

MODERN RECIPE
INGREDIENTS
250g oats
½ Cup Oat Flour (46g)
½ teaspoon salt

METHOD
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C OR Set a skillet or frying pan over medium high heat. Cooking these on a skillet is closer to the way the Anglo-Saxons would have done it, but it is considerably more difficult.
2. Add the oats, dried fruit, cinnamon, and salt to a medium bowl and mix well. Then mix in the honey and the butter. Once fully incorporated, add the oat flour and mix to combine.
3. With your hands, form small flat patties fairly thin and about 3 inches across and set them on a lined baking sheet (or on a plate if you are using a skillet.)
4. If you are baking the cakes, bake in the oven for 10 - 12 minutes, or until they start to darken around the edges. Place the cakes on a wire rack to cool completely.
OR
5. If you are using a skillet or frying pan, gently place several cakes onto the pan. Leave them for 1 - 1½ min, then using a spatula, flip the cakes gently so they do not break, and cook for another 1 minute. The cakes should be browned (possibly slightly scorched) on both sides. Then set them on a wire rack to cool. Repeat until all the cakes are cooked.

I will probably add an egg to the recipe for binding and because eggs magically make food better most of the time.

Maybe a drizzle of rum too after cooking....

MODERN RECIPE
INGREDIENTS
250g oats
½ Cup Oat Flour (46g)
½ teaspoon salt

METHOD
OR

Maybe a drizzle of rum to after cooking....

That does sound good.

Mother-in-law's b-day, so I continue with my journey of the S'mores cake turn s'mores cupcake.

Use cupcake paper. Put graham cracker crust recipe at base... bake for about 5 to 6 minutes. Then let it cool while making the flourless fudge cake batter. Add that. Bake until what... 200ish degrees (F :D)? That seemed about 20 to 25 minutes of baking, generally it appears most of the top is set, maybe a little wobble in the middle. FYI, these were large muffin tins (6 per pan). If going with regular cupcakes, the cooking time would be shorter, but I recommend the large muffin tin.

Then right before serving, place cut in half marshmallows on top. Now I'm still working on this. I think you need to bake at 300ish degrees for a short period of time, then set to broil to brown it (KEEP YOUR EYES ON IT!!!). You need to bake it a little first because the broil won't soften the marshmallows enough. I was pondering next to make marshmallow myself, and cover the whole thing with it... and broil. Presume it'd be softer and broil and cook through quicker.

131062616_10221365738707083_8979208209695044613_o.jpg

Looks awesome.
I guess I did it wrong... I would just cook the chicken breast, then add the sauce and cheese. That looks much better, and probably tastes better too.

The bottom is linguini noodles and sauce, then chicken and more sauce, all hot and cooked. Then the mozzarella. Then it goes in the oven under the broiler to melt and brown the cheese.

The sauce is just store bought jar but I add parmesan, romano and a little cheddar, chopped red onion, red bell pepper and mushrooms, and lots of Italian seasoning and garlic, four cloves. Both my wife and I love garlic.

The sauce is just store bought jar but I add parmesan, romano and a little cheddar, chopped red onion, red bell pepper and mushrooms, and lots of Italian seasoning and garlic, four cloves. Both my wife and I love garlic.

That is no longer "just" store bought sauce.

That is no longer "just" store bought sauce.

I don't usually add cheddar but ran short on the parmesan and romano.

Back
Top Bottom