• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

For those watching in black and white...

It's a neat effect. Although some of the lines are sharp and narrow, and others are wide and fuzzy. Make lines wide and fuzzy enough and they eventually merge to be a continuous field of color.

I'm curious about the logos on the green shirts and white shirts. They appear to be solid color, but are too small to be cross-hatched, unless the artist used extremely small cross-hatched lines on them.

It's a neat effect. Although some of the lines are sharp and narrow, and others are wide and fuzzy. Make lines wide and fuzzy enough and they eventually merge to be a continuous field of color.

I'm curious about the logos on the green shirts and white shirts. They appear to be solid color, but are too small to be cross-hatched, unless the artist used extremely small cross-hatched lines on them.

There is no effect here, Photo is color, not black-white.

Even the wording above the picture is illusory (and I’m the one that often denies there’s an illusion when some say there is one). It’s a plain white back ground with a large area of black covering it—except there’s areas of the black that is cut out in fancy shapes that are almost like a coat covering perfectly fitted to surround written letters.

The red, blue, and green definitely can be noted as being gray in the image, when you look for it.

It's unmistakably a color photo. Loath as I am to agree with Barbaros, just zoom in:

View attachment 22888

To me it looks like it was originally a B/W photo with a grid of fine colored lines over it. However, with multiple jpeg copies being made, there has been significant pixel bleed smearing the fine lines to color much of the image.

ETA:
I found an earlier copy of the image that hasn't been copied as many times so has less pixel bleed. Here is a section of it:

bw img.png

Last edited:
I sure hope this isn't going to turn into a Blue Dress/Gold Dress thing.

It's unmistakably a color photo. Loath as I am to agree with barbos, just zoom in:

View attachment 22888
I zoomed in and saw different shades of gray shirts.

Now what I wonder is if this works with any arbitrary color or whether there is connection of some portion of the shade of gray to the source color.
It works, but only because something is wrong with your particular brain which prevents you from realization that they lied and the photo is actually color and there is absolutely no illusion whatsoever.

I tried to reproduce the illusion with simple grey circles and lines with no colour bleed, but it doesn't seem to work. Scale doesn't seem to matter much, either. The illusion kinda works with the green and orange lines, but only if I make the circles (and grid) small.

With and without grey background:

lines-on-circles.png

Maybe it only works with photos where the brain has already learned how to fill in detail, or maybe there is no illusion unless you cheat by using blurry lines to colourise a greater area.

Attachments

• lines-on-circles.png
    lines-on-circles.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 1
I tried to reproduce the illusion with simple grey circles and lines with no colour bleed, but it doesn't seem to work. Scale doesn't seem to matter much, either. The illusion kinda works with the green and orange lines, but only if I make the circles (and grid) small.

With and without grey background:

lines-on-circles.png

Maybe it only works with photos where the brain has already learned how to fill in detail, or maybe there is no illusion unless you cheat by using blurry lines to colourise a greater area.

Those grey circles look coloured to me, when viewed from a sufficient distance.

If I hold my phone at arm's length they definitely appear to be four different coloured circles.

Though that does risk people thinking that I am taking selfies.

The coloured lines are not as sharp as they could be, but it is a black and white photo.
For fuck's sake, I posted pixel RGB content, it's not black and white photo, Even hair is not black.

There is no brain effect here at all. Brain does not paint anything Color vision has less sensitivity and resolution than black-white. So at sufficient distance or off center view you simply can not resolve color features, it all becomes solid color

Back
Top Bottom