• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

For you geeks, this looks kind of cool

In other words, a self-hosted equivalent to Dropbox or the like. The HD and router would need to be turned on for this to work and your speed would be limited by your uplink speed.

https://meetlima.com/index.php?lang=en

It's a backup and file sharing device so you can access any and all your files on all your devices.

Thoughts?

BTW, the website design is not the greatest.

Nice consumer device idea, but no info on price?

Implementation is a little sketchy too. You should be aware that it encrypts your files and only allows one drive per device, no parity drives - you'd better hope nothing fails unless you've bought a second for backup. Also, I'm a little leery about authentication being done through their app and accounts, while the advertising is all about "complete privacy".

While I haven't yet been crowned the king of the geeks, I have dabbled in home storage servers and cloud backups. My personal cloud backup of my home server is encrypted and uploaded to Amazon drive. Privacy is handled entirely on my end, with strong encryption - Amazon sees nothing but gibberish, but my devices treat the them as normal readable files. The kicker is that rclone is free - take a few minutes to learn the commands and you can set up a synced, encrypted, cloud backup that has essentially 99.9% uptime and basically unlimited speed and storage (though the unlimited storage does cost money, unlimited ACD is $60/year).

Strange. I can't find the buy link now like I did last night. The price was $129.

I have a RAID NAS box that does supposedly have some of these features but have never dabbled with them. My internet is 60 Mb down/25 Mb up so speed for me shouldn't be an issue.

Who turns their router off?

Strange. I can't find the buy link now like I did last night. The price was $129.

I have a RAID NAS box that does supposedly have some of these features but have never dabbled with them. My internet is 60 Mb down/25 Mb up so speed for me shouldn't be an issue.

I'd much rather trust a NAS box with RAID than a single hard drive, plus that gives you much more capability when it comes to software.

I've had issues where access to data (say by cell service, or from a remote location) would have been affected by a local power/internet outage. Having the data in the cloud makes that much less likely (though not impossible - cloud providers do have outages from time to time).

When I'm on vacation I usually turn the whole setup off. The modem and router are on the UPS, shutting that down shuts them down.

For those interested in rclone, the website has pretty good documentation and explanations: https://rclone.org/. Basically, after installing, run the 'rclone config' command, which will prompt you to create a new remote and walks you through connecting to the cloud storage provider. If you just leave it at that, you can use rclone to sync to the cloud, unencrypted. I call my main remote 'cloud'.

If you want to encrypt, run 'rclone config' again, and add another remote using the 'crypt' option. It will then walk you through creating a passphrase/salt etc to encrypt your data, and point to the 'cloud' remote. I call my crypt remote 'private'. You can set 'private' to either encrypt all the file/folder names and content, or just encrypt the content. Encrypting the names is standard, so files and folder names show up as gibberish e.g. my main folder is just called 'data' on my computer, but shows up as '3k23rkin9p8l0crojtm1ut88bn6uk'. Create remotes with the same keys on a different device and you can access the data from there too.

After that, it's just a matter of telling rclone to sync files to the 'private' remote. The commands are pretty intuitive (copy, sync, move, delete, mount, etc). For example, the command 'rclone copy /data private:' copies the location /data to the private: remote. Alternatively, mount the remote to treat it like a regular file system, or run the sync command on a schedule and you have encrypted cloud data backups, etc. Been working great so far for me.

If I need a file from home, I just use Chrome Remote Desktop. I can do anything remotely from my phone or another computer.

and so can I... to your files, that is. Remote desktop is like a bank putting their vault on the sidewalk in front... so any passer-by can jiggle the lock or give picking it a try. At least with a hardware solution sitting behind your modem (and ISP gateway), you have multiple levels of protection.

For those interested in rclone, the website has pretty good documentation and explanations: https://rclone.org/. Basically, after installing, run the 'rclone config' command, which will prompt you to create a new remote and walks you through connecting to the cloud storage provider. If you just leave it at that, you can use rclone to sync to the cloud, unencrypted. I call my main remote 'cloud'.

If you want to encrypt, run 'rclone config' again, and add another remote using the 'crypt' option. It will then walk you through creating a passphrase/salt etc to encrypt your data, and point to the 'cloud' remote. I call my crypt remote 'private'. You can set 'private' to either encrypt all the file/folder names and content, or just encrypt the content. Encrypting the names is standard, so files and folder names show up as gibberish e.g. my main folder is just called 'data' on my computer, but shows up as '3k23rkin9p8l0crojtm1ut88bn6uk'. Create remotes with the same keys on a different device and you can access the data from there too.

After that, it's just a matter of telling rclone to sync files to the 'private' remote. The commands are pretty intuitive (copy, sync, move, delete, mount, etc). For example, the command 'rclone copy /data private:' copies the location /data to the private: remote. Alternatively, mount the remote to treat it like a regular file system, or run the sync command on a schedule and you have encrypted cloud data backups, etc. Been working great so far for me.

Tempting, except that I have no idea how to access those files on an Android phone, which makes it hard to fetch files when I'm out of the office.

That's what makes Dropbox so attractive. In fact the only downside of Dropbox is the fact that they will decrypt my files if the government orders them to.

If I need a file from home, I just use Chrome Remote Desktop. I can do anything remotely from my phone or another computer.

and so can I... to your files, that is. Remote desktop is like a bank putting their vault on the sidewalk in front... so any passer-by can jiggle the lock or give picking it a try. At least with a hardware solution sitting behind your modem (and ISP gateway), you have multiple levels of protection.

While it's not perfect, I think Google's RDP is reasonably secure for the average user.

Tempting, except that I have no idea how to access those files on an Android phone, which makes it hard to fetch files when I'm out of the office.

That's what makes Dropbox so attractive. In fact the only downside of Dropbox is the fact that they will decrypt my files if the government orders them to.

rclone works on android, and can encrypt your dropbox remote. https://github.com/ncw/rclone/wiki/rclone-on-Android-with-Termux

I understand what you're saying about layering security, but Chrome Remote Desktop isn't as insecure as all that. It basically operates on a whitelist, uses AES and SSL, and it's not running all the time; I use it for brief sessions. I have disabled Microrosoft's Remote Desktop. I wonder if you're confusing the two. Anyway my concern over this product has been mentioned already by beero1000. Neat idea, though.

If you're using an Intel chip with vPro (or any other AMT capable Intel processor), then nothing is secure.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/01/intel_amt_me_vulnerability/

That means that any system using an affected Intel chip can be completely compromised, if the NIC is publicly accessible (OS level firewalls are totally ineffective); or if any other vulnerabilities exist that give a remote attacker the ability to execute arbitrary code with local user permissions, as the AMT vulnerability allows local users to escalate their permissions to above those of an OS level root user.

This is a HUGE vulnerability, and it's been almost everywhere for a decade.

Back
Top Bottom