• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Free Will 66 Revisited

Speakpigeon

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Rationality (i.e. facts + logic), Scepticism (not just about God but also everything beyond my subjective experience)
People often mix up two very different things, namely, what I call objective consciousness and subjective consciousness.

'Objective consciousness' refers to something we believe exists based on our interpretation of our (assumed) perceptions of the material world. We observe what we think of as other people and infer the cognitive capabilities we assume as necessary to navigate (what we think of as) the world. If there is indeed such a thing, then it must be highly selectable by evolution. But then, the question of its purpose doesn't make sense. It's just a fact of the world and it works, which has to be good enough as a justification for its observed existence.

But there's a second sense of consciousness which is subjective consciousness, often called 'subjective experience', if only to emphasise the distinction with objective consciousness. Subjective consciousness is the brute fact that I am subjectively aware of something. The 'I' here doesn't even refer to me as a person, a human being. Rather, it's the thing that is aware. This species of consciousness can be freely considered independently of any notion of its origin, cause, reason. It's just a brut fact. In my case, and I will guess that of many people, it includes something that the 'I' takes to be its self, its mind, its memories etc. We could speculate why that is, but that question properly belongs to the problem of objective consciousness in the sense that any answer would require going beyond subjective consciousness into the metaphysical realm of some theory of the human mind and of the physical world.

The question of free will does not even make sense in the context of subjective consciousness. And then it only makes sense in the context of objective consciousness if you interpret it away from the usual way it is done. Thus, if free will is defined as just the degree of autonomy of any objectively conscious being that can be regarded as a reasonably well-defined part of reality, then it's really obvious that human beings have free will, just as any ordinary car has it's own impetus relatively to the rest of the universe and each material body has its own weight relative to the Earth. You can try it, it works and it saves time.

Of course, you need to be reasonable. Free will in this sense belongs to the problem of objective consciousness and as such can only be something we believe exists rather than something we know exists.
EB

Consciousness being a brains subjective experience of the world and self that contains bodies of information that may factual - information that is verifiable/testable against an uncompromising external world - and information that is not necessarily true or reliable, a collection of assumptions and beliefs associated with self and the world that are not necessarily related to either.

I would call it all subjective.

One is a subjective representation of the external.

The other a subjective representation of the internal.

The dichotomy is between external and internal, not subjective and objective.

And the will is the ability to make some kind of sense of it all and act.

But to act you must act on something.

Is that a "free" will?

Are we ever "free" from our desires? Are we the cause of our desires?

Human beings.

The only animal that can think, but still can't figure out it's own essence.

Right. Other thinking animals have their own essence figured out. :D

My cat knows herself way better than I do.

She's got this shit figured out. Food, sleep, hanging with pals, playing in the back-yard.

That's about it.

My cat, my dog, my horse - all the same way. The horse does question my decision-making sometimes. He's usually right when he does that.

Right. Other thinking animals have their own essence figured out. :D

My cat knows herself way better than I do.

She's got this shit figured out. Food, sleep, hanging with pals, playing in the back-yard.

That's about it.

Which is the essence of the house cat?

The domesticated variety or the wild type?

Two very different animals.

two female kitties grew up. One was almost never seen the other strutted, pranced, cuddled up, demanded your time. Just a guess, but I think the invisible cat wasn't a house cat.

House cat is a species, not a set of behaviors.

All living and non living things can be described in terms of attributes, features and sets of behaviours, whether conscious or unconscious, the only limitation being complexity and access to information....

All living and non living things can be described in terms of attributes, features and sets of behaviours, whether conscious or unconscious, the only limitation being complexity and access to information....

Domestication of a house cat only occurs through early and prolonged exposure to humans.

Without this exposure domestication will not occur.

Domestication is not part of the essence of the house cat.

It is something humans create.

two female kitties grew up. One was almost never seen the other strutted, pranced, cuddled up, demanded your time. Just a guess, but I think the invisible cat wasn't a house cat.

House cat is a species, not a set of behaviors.

A feral cat is a wild cat. Of course a wild cat may be a wild cat or lynx as well. Confusing.....

Domestication of a house cat only occurs through early and prolonged exposure to humans.

What has that got to do with what I said?

What has that got to do with what I said?

The living thing, the cat, is one thing if exposed to humans and another thing if not.

So the cat needs to be described in TWO ways, not one.

It has a set of behaviors when exposed to humans and another set of behaviors when not.

The same thing holds true for humans.

The attention they get when young and kind of attention has a lot to do with what kind of animal they become.

Humans go through a process of domestication, just like cats and dogs.

A whole new set of behaviors arises because of the domestication.

Still nothing to do with what I said, given that an interaction of environment and genes drives evolution and behaviour. So - obviously - a feral cat is not the same as a domestic cat even if they come from the same litter and looked indistinguishable before one kitten got lost in the bush and turned feral.

Back
Top Bottom