• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Fuck Justin Trudeau

Not surprised. He's in power with a majority government. If he pushed for first past the post, he'd only hurt his own party. Power corrupts and party leadership/loyalty prevails over promises and fairness. But yes I agree with your sentiment. He's been a pretty big disappointment on a few issues and I regret voting for him. The only big upside I see is that he did away with Harpers war on science.

Well, there's also the fact that nobody really gave much of a shit. If you got Canadians to list their top ten concerns, electoral reform would probably show up at around #86 for most of us. It would be a tough political battle with no real benefit.

Well, there's also the fact that nobody really gave much of a shit. If you got Canadians to list their top ten concerns, electoral reform would probably show up at around #86 for most of us. It would be a tough political battle with no real benefit.

He campaigned on it. For all we know many voters may have voted for him based on this. He pushed this message again and again, and then he didn't even have the balls to come out himself and make this announcement that he's going back on it. He sent one of his lackeys. This is a betrayal. They could pushed it though, as they had the mandate from the election. If not, then they could have called a referendum on the matter. They should have at least said that this will be an item on the next federal election ballot as a referendum item.

Critics:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/867995715743/

Justin's Response:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/867785795892/

Watch him run away from the topic and push anything he can think of to avoid answering for what he has done here. "There is no consensus" he says. How does he know? He did a few town halls and a few polls run by his people. There was no referendum. I wasn't asked about this. Were you?

Last edited:
Americans are getting what they voted for. Canadians are not.

These lucky americans :)

quote-democracy-is-the-theory-that-the-common-people-know-what-they-want-and-deserve-to-get-h-l-mencken-19-67-75.jpg

Not surprised. He's in power with a majority government. If he pushed for first past the post, he'd only hurt his own party. Power corrupts and party leadership/loyalty prevails over promises and fairness. But yes I agree with your sentiment. He's been a pretty big disappointment on a few issues and I regret voting for him. The only big upside I see is that he did away with Harpers war on science.

How does this help him? I'd wager that 2019 is going to look a lot like 2011 with NDP splitting the vote and giving the Conservatives the government.

He is doing this early so there is lots of time for it to blow over and be forgotten. He is counting on Tom's sentiment above.

And he is counting on Canadians fearing the Conservatives and voting strategically, which may not be a bad bet given the show we may see south of our border.

Should be interesting to see how hard the Liberals push the strategic voting point next election. I was told over and over in 2015 that voting Green is a waste of a vote and I may as well be voting Harper. We saw the same in the US whenever somebody mentioned voting for the Greens or Libertarians.

Now, in Canada we will have a ready reply to this and you are right that it is a gamble Trudeau is taking that may well backfire on him.

Last edited:

He campaigned on it. For all we know many voters may have voted for him based on this. He pushed this message again and again, and then he didn't even have the balls to come out himself and make this announcement that he's going back on it. He sent one of his lackeys. This is a betrayal. They could pushed it though, as they had the mandate from the election. If not, then they could have called a referendum on the matter. They should have at least said that this will be an item on the next federal election ballot as a referendum item.

Critics:

Justin's Response:

Watch him run away from the topic and push anything he can think of to avoid answering for what he has done here. "There is no consensus" he says. How does he know? He did a few town halls and a few polls run by his people. There was no referendum. I wasn't asked about this. Were you?

Ya, he campaigned on it and then had a cabinet committee study it for a year and had town halls around the country. The consensus was that nobody gave half a shit and most anybody asked about it needed to work really hard to manage the barest of emotions about the topic one way or another. There are a lot of serious matters which people do care about to deal with, so issues which don't fall into either of those categories can be put on the back burner and then revisited in a decade to determine whether or not they rise above the level of a "meh".

There are other priorities and other fights to spend time on. It's also not a serious enough portfolio to merit a statement by the PM as opposed to whomever was in change of it.

Critics:

Justin's Response:

Ya, he campaigned on it and then had a cabinet committee study it for a year and had town halls around the country. The consensus was that nobody gave half a shit and most anybody asked about it needed to work really hard to manage the barest of emotions about the topic one way or another. There are a lot of serious matters which people do care about to deal with, so issues which don't fall into either of those categories can be put on the back burner and then revisited in a decade to determine whether or not they rise above the level of a "meh".

There are other priorities and other fights to spend time on. It's also not a serious enough portfolio to merit a statement by the PM as opposed to whomever was in change of it.

He "studied it" by putting out an ambiguous survey that doesn't even ask about proportional representation. It seems that he was dead set against that ever being an option.

I'm not a huge fan preferential ballots and I'm even less enthused about proportional representation. Anything though is better than FPTP and to sabotage reform from the start is reprehensible. Any system that gives results like 2011 in which the party everyone liked least gets all the power is evil and needs to be abolished.

He "studied it" by putting out an ambiguous survey that doesn't even ask about proportional representation. It seems that he was dead set against that ever being an option.

I'm not a huge fan preferential ballots and I'm even less enthused about proportional representation. Anything though is better than FPTP and to sabotage reform from the start is reprehensible. Any system that gives results like 2011 in which the party everyone liked least gets all the power is evil and needs to be abolished.
The conservatives are the ones that benefit the most from the status quo... it was why the Conservatives were in charge for so long.

The conservatives are the ones that benefit the most from the status quo... it was why the Conservatives were in charge for so long.

Which is another point about it. It's not like Trudeau was being self-serving here. Any other potential options do nothing except undermine the chances of his only real opposition.

It's just that the government has a list of priorities and this isn't on it because there's no pressing need or desire by anyone to have it there.

Which is another point about it. It's not like Trudeau was being self-serving here. Any other potential options do nothing except undermine the chances of his only real opposition.

It's just that the government has a list of priorities and this isn't on it because there's no pressing need or desire by anyone to have it there.

It is self serving in that he is trying to avoid proportional representation. He is gambling that he can use fear of the Conservatives to make sure his party has complete control.

Trudeau was being self serving. See my post above. He is betting that the majority of Canadians will side against Conservatives and will vote strategically against the Conservative party, which keeps him in power, as it brought him to power. Trump's antics to the south will bolster that moreso. His gamble is a pretty safe bet. Elizabeth May gave a great speech on this. I voted Green in 2015, and people kept pushing and pushing at me that my vote was a vote for Harper. Trudeau promised that this would be the last election where we would be pressured to vote strategically, and for him, and that the next one we could vote our conscience and have it count. He lied.

What a wimpout.
I agree.

Trudeau was being self serving. See my post above. He is betting that the majority of Canadians will side against Conservatives and will vote strategically against the Conservative party, which keeps him in power, as it brought him to power.
Actually, the NDP was leading in the polls, when they committed a couple unforced errors, and that led to the Liberal party moving back into the lead. Trudeau's party was out of power because of the Status Quo, as the NDP and Liberal Parties were splitting each other's votes. This doesn't help consolidate power among the progressives in the nation. This makes it easier for the Conservatives to get back into power. I'm not certain why you are so angry about this.

Back
Top Bottom