• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Fun with Dark Matter

Kharakov

Quantum Hot Dog
Basic Beliefs
Don't step on mine.
What if Dark Matter is non-inertial?

Say, for example, that the DM has an imaginary (as in orthogonal to space, not spacetime) rest mass.
This rest mass interacts gravitationally, but not inertially (no real rest mass to interact (special) relativistically).
If it does have a form of electromagnetic interaction, it is oriented orthogonal to space, so does not project electrical or magnetic fields into space.
If it has spin, the angular momentum might be orthogonal to space.

The particles are moved around solely by spacetime: they can get caught in the gravitational well of particles, even the gravitational well of some photons as they have no SR rest mass (special relativistic mass- they have GR mass).

They are knocked loose from the gravitational well of photons and other particles by the gravitational wells of other particles, as they always stay in the point of lowest potential in any gravitational well (if a photon has a minute point of greater gravitation than a star, they will travel along with the photon away from the star).

Dark matter can form halos around galaxies at the intergalactic photon pressure boundaries, where light from all directions sort of mixes the DM all about like a <insert funny word or words later>. There are more complex interactions as well.

Something really cool: imagine a black hole made entirely of dark matter. No inertia.... it would get caught on the first photon moving along- creating a gravitational warp drive, as long as you could shield it from accumulating inertia. Perhaps there would be ways to... you get the picture- old friend messaged me. Enough pseudoscience for now.

Conduct an experiment to prove your hypothesis and publish your findings. :p
Yeah. I'll just fill at an application on the NSF website, they'll give me a several million dollar grant, and I'll be able to put together a crack team of scientists to find out whether DM is inertial or not.

If beero1000, lpetrich, stevebnk, and other math people jumped in we might be able to find the sphere around galaxies where the outgoing and incoming photons (that the DM rides in the gravity wells of) achieve some sort of equilibrium.

If a large amount of the mass of the DM is located in this area, it would support the hypothesis.

Back
Top Bottom