• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Furious About Ferguson? Work to Free Shaneen Allen

It sounds like a lawsuit is in order. The state owes her restitution.

Ultimately proving that this is racially motivated prosecution will be an uphill battle.
I'm not talking about race. I'm talking about putting a harmless single mother of two in jail for 40 days and then continuing a trial sequence which is wholly avoidable based on the circumstances and avenues available to the prosecutor and judge.

New Jersey is insane about busting travelers with weapons even in situations where they are totally in compliance with the law. There have been multiple cases of them arresting fliers trying to recheck their guns after a flight diversion. So long as the gun is legal in both the origin and destination of the journey and the traveler proceeds in a reasonably direct manner it's legal no matter what the states have to say about it.

The point is that the court has latitude on how to handle this situation. And because the woman is a law-abiding citizen of her home state and not a smuggling gun-runner, they could have afforded her leniency. Instead they took a very harsh approach for no apparent reason.

Reactions: WAB
I'm surprised that some of our resident anti-gun nuts are taking exception to the strictly enforced gun laws they usually advocate for. I doubt that would be the case if the defendant were a redneck.

Reactions: WAB
I'm surprised that some of our resident anti-gun nuts are taking exception to the strictly enforced gun laws they usually advocate for. I doubt that would be the case if the defendant were a redneck.
Nuts?

Ultimately proving that this is racially motivated prosecution will be an uphill battle.
I'm not talking about race. I'm talking about putting a harmless single mother of two in jail for 40 days and then continuing a trial sequence which is wholly avoidable based on the circumstances and avenues available to the prosecutor and judge.

That's an even longer shot. If it goes to trial, the case would be open and shut - she waived her 4th and 5th amendment rights when she informed the cop she had a gun, so there's no possible challenge on the grounds that an illegal search and seizure took place. The gun was in her purse, and not being transported according to FOPA guidelines, so any claim that she was only passing through NJ will not pass muster in shielding her. She quite literally does not have a leg to stand on if the case goes to trial, therefore there's no possibility of appealing the offered plea bargain by invoking Brady (like that would ever happen anyway).

I seem to recall hearing that something north of 90% of cases are resolved in plea bargains rather than in a trial. Prosecutors are concerned about convictions an not so much about justice.

Yes, but they don't want to actually see the results of these laws, and in this case there is a racial angle.
Actually, it is more likely a gender angle, than race angle. But feel free to continue having that smug feeling that comes from being a libertarian.

Actually, it is more likely a gender angle, than race angle.
Assuming a gender angle is ridiculous considering how lenient women are treated by the criminal justice system compared to men.

My misunderstanding then. However men are also much more likely to be victims of violence.

Furious About Ferguson? Work to Free Shaneen Allen

Whatever we eventually learn about what happened in the streets of Ferguson, Missouri on August 9, Michael Brown is beyond mortal help. The same is not true of Shaneen Allen, a 27-year-old working mother of two and robbery victim who faces an eleven-year prison term for the supposed offense of carrying a legally licensed firearm.

Like the late Mr. Brown, Allen – a resident of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania -- is an African-American. She has no criminal record, and her case is untainted by allegations that she had committed a violent crime.

In planning to take the case to trial this October, Atlantic County Prosecutor Jim McClain is committing what could be construed as a race-specific violation of due process by seeking prison time: As we will shortly see, a white Pennsylvania resident who committed the same “offense” was given a pre-indictment plea deal involving two years of non-supervised probation. McClain’s proposed “deal” for Allen would have included a mandatory three and a half year prison sentence.

Allen, a medical professional who works two jobs, was victimized by a series of robberies. A concerned relative advised Allen to get a gun to protect herself and her two young children. She purchased a gun, completed a firearms safety course, and obtained official permission from the State of Pennsylvania to exercise her innate right to self-defense. However, she made the mistake of crossing the Delaware River into a different tax jurisdiction called New Jersey, where the ruling political clique is stingier in granting that supposed privilege, and refuses to recognize firearms licenses that are issued by their counterparts elsewhere in the country.

After being stopped by a revenue farmer for violating one of New Jersey’s myriad official restrictions on the right to travel, Allen made the tragic mistake of being entirely candid when asked if she had any weapons in her possession. Rather than being handed an extortion note (more commonly called a “traffic ticket”), she was abducted and charged the second-degree felony of “unlawful possession” of the means of self-defense.

More race based injustice by police, but it's not too late to do something about it.

And that, boys and girls, is why you should never talk to the police.

Back
Top Bottom