• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

GDP Reaches 5.2%

Grocery prices are up, but some people seem to think they are up 100%.
Maybe not grocery prices but eating out has gone up 100% where I live when you add in the tip that was not needed in the past.
You didn't tip?
You went out to eat, but you didn't tip your server?

No wonder you're so irascible and grumpy.
People have been spitting(or worse) in your food for how long?
Tom
I always tipped 20% (and still do) at the places where you sit down and someone brings your food. I did not used to tip at the fast food establishments where the food is picked up at the counter. McDonalds is about the only fast food not requiring a 10% or more tip where I live. You are even expected to tip when picking up a pizza (where you can not even sit down) now. Some of these places (like Pandera Bread) even expect a 10% or more tip when you order and pay through their kios. Not sure if that goes to the kitchen help or the owner. Probably the owner.

Neither my wife or I cook and our food bill has gone up an extreme amount during the Biden administration.

Maybe not grocery prices but eating out has gone up 100% where I live when you add in the tip that was not needed in the past.
You didn't tip?

Tom
I always tipped 20% (and still do) at the places where you sit down and someone brings your food. I did not used to tip at the fast food establishments where the food is picked up at the counter. McDonalds is about the only fast food not requiring a 10% or more tip where I live. You are even expected to tip when picking up a pizza (where you can not even sit down) now. Some of these places (like Pandera Bread) even expect a 10% or more tip when you order and pay through their kios. Not sure if that goes to the kitchen help or the owner. Probably the owner.

I guess the problem is that I don't eat crap food from such places.

I don't know what y'all 'muricans are paying for crap food from crap restaurants.

To quote Donald Trump, "Because I'm smart."
Tom

You didn't tip?

Tom

Neither my wife or I cook and our food bill has gone up an extreme amount during the Biden administration.
Learn to cook! Or you want to blame Biden for that too?

To quote Donald Trump, "Because I'm smart."
Tom
Did he just solve Blue's Clues, or what?
blues-clues-steve.gif

justified or not, old people have become paranoid and terrified losing their life savings to high inflation.
I don't see that as hard to explain.
Old people tend to watch more TV from liars. Conservative pundits who lie a lot about the economy because they're funded by wealthy Teaparty elites.
Easy Peasy.
Tom
We will know soon enough just how great the Biden economy is by what the fed does near future. If it holds or raises rates (very unlikely) we will know the government is telling the truth about the economy. But if it lowers rates like I expect it will, that tells us the government knows our economy is either crashing or going to crash.

Its what they do that really tells the truth not the bullshit they tell us.

justified or not, old people have become paranoid and terrified losing their life savings to high inflation.
I don't see that as hard to explain.
Old people tend to watch more TV from liars. Conservative pundits who lie a lot about the economy because they're funded by wealthy Teaparty elites.
Easy Peasy.
Tom
We will know soon enough just how great the Biden economy is by what the fed does near future. If it holds or raises rates (very unlikely) we will know the government is telling the truth about the economy. But if it lowers rates like I expect it will, that tells us the government knows our economy is either crashing or going to crash.

Its what they do that really tells the truth not the bullshit they tell us.
Yes, when things are okay, things are dire when a Democrat is President and utopian when Trump is President. The economy is chugging. I would say that if the GDP is that high, the Fed isn't lowering rates! They have to manage real inflation. Not the imaginary hyper-inflation the Ron Paul types jack off about.

Dear Sweet Jesus.

Neither of you had a parent who could teach basic life skills, like cooking?

I don't think your food bill went up. You are so unable to manage basic skills that you're easy prey for for the Teaparty.
Tom

Inflation has been high (and beginning to decline) around the world ever since the pandemic started winding down.

But sure, let's blame that on U.S. Democrats and Joe Biden, too.

Dear Sweet Jesus.

I don't cook for the same reason I don't make my own clothes. Because even with Biden's inflation, I can come out financially ahead doing other things with my time.

But lets just assume I and many others take your advice. If/when it is no longer cost effective to eat out what do you suppose will happen to those eating establishments? For the time being, Biden can exaggerate his numbers but after many restaurants go under perhaps it will reveal the shortcomings of our so called good economy?

Yes, when things are okay, things are dire when a Democrat is President and utopian when Trump is President. The economy is chugging. I would say that if the GDP is that high, the Fed isn't lowering rates! They have to manage real inflation. Not the imaginary hyper-inflation the Ron Paul types jack off about.
I sincerely hope you are right and I am wrong.

The baby boomer crowd is not buying into any of this.

How do I know? Old shows for boomer audiences include heavy advertising for health,medical, or gold commercials. Even 5 years ago gold bugs were a side show laughed by the general public but it is gotten much more mainstream today. Gold and bit coin are serious investments today.
No, they're learning from Fox News and the like that prices everywhere are going through the roof. Like one asshole said just before Thanksgiving that turkeys are ninety dollars. Maybe they are if you're buying a 72 pound turkey but I really doubt it. I would think old folks would be smarter than that but apparently they're suckers for bullshit.

By the way, my wife just filled her tank for $2.91/gallon. And that's still 20 cents higher than the lowest prices in the state.

Dear Sweet Jesus.

I don't cook for the same reason I don't make my own clothes. Because even with Biden's inflation, I can come out financially ahead doing other things with my time.

But lets just assume I and many others take your advice. If/when it is no longer cost effective to eat out what do you suppose will happen to those eating establishments? For the time being, Biden can exaggerate his numbers but after many restaurants go under perhaps it will reveal the shortcomings of our so called good economy?
Wow. Where to even start?

Let's start at the beginning. There really isn't a comparison between cooking your own meals and making your own clothes. I can make a 3 course meal in about 20-30 minutes. It's not hard. Granted, I can cook in no small part because I worked as a cook in multiple restaurants, but I can teach just about anyone to do the same thing in no time. Can I whip up a 3 piece suit in the same time? No, because even if I'd spent years working in a garment factory, it is a completely different skill set and a completely different process.

As far as it being more "cost effective" to eat out, have you actually sat down and run the numbers? I have. If you'd come into the restaurant where I was front of the house manager (where I did the numbers every night), you were paying 3 times what that dish would cost you to make at home. Labor alone cost 1/3 of the meal. It is not "cost effective" to eat out for every meal. Not even close.

And "many restaurants" go under all the time. Not because of Biden, but because it is a hard business with narrow profit margins even if you're charging 3x the price of a meal. Eating out is a luxury, but you're treating it like it is some sort of god-given right. Much has been made by the right wing about "the young people today" and their "avocado toast." Yes, avocado toast is expensive if you buy it at some restaurant. Let me take you to the grocery store, buy you some avocados, a loaf of bread and I'll save you quite a lot of money.

Bidenomics seems to be working.

The U.S. economy grew at an even stronger pace then previously indicated in the third quarter, the product of better-than-expected business investment and stronger government spending, the Commerce Department reported Wednesday.

Gross domestic product, a measure of all goods and services produced during the three-month period, accelerated at a 5.2% annualized pace, the department’s second estimate showed. The acceleration topped the initial 4.9% reading and was better than the 5% forecast from economists polled by Dow Jones.

Jobless rate is low, GDP is high, GOP still wants to slash Social Security, Medicare , and ACA.

How do I know? Old shows for boomer audiences include heavy advertising for health,medical, or gold commercials. Even 5 years ago gold bugs were a side show laughed by the general public but it is gotten much more mainstream today. Gold and bit coin are serious investments today.

Whether justified or not, old people have become paranoid and terrified losing their life savings to high inflation. This is obvious just by watching the advertisements. And in a high or hyper inflation environment, none of the standard employment or other stats mean anything because everyone's life will be ruined regardless.
I am a baby boomer, and I am not buying your analysis. Bitcoin is mostly a scam.

I am not afraid of losing my life saving to some mythical high inflation.

Ads are made to entice the gullible.

I don’t live in the bubble you describe as your life. I don’t even recognize your bubble.

Finally, the price of eating out every day is not a problem of those with low incomes.

Last edited:

That would be awful. Imagine if restaurants sales were a fifth of what they are now. Why it would be like we were back in the dark days of 1992. I can't find information beyond that but I imagine it was even worse in the 80s and 70s. It must have been a dark and terrible time and I was just to young to recognize it.

I sincerely hope you are right and I am wrong.
You have a tendency of chicken little'ing it, so you'll be right occassionally. Of course, the economy did crash badly in '09, yet we did survive thanks to a lack of enamoring pre-Great Depression era economic policy.

Bidenomics seems to be working.

The U.S. economy grew at an even stronger pace then previously indicated in the third quarter, the product of better-than-expected business investment and stronger government spending, the Commerce Department reported Wednesday.

Gross domestic product, a measure of all goods and services produced during the three-month period, accelerated at a 5.2% annualized pace, the department’s second estimate showed. The acceleration topped the initial 4.9% reading and was better than the 5% forecast from economists polled by Dow Jones.

Jobless rate is low, GDP is high, GOP still wants to slash Social Security, Medicare , and ACA.

Grifters are going after the compliant market. That's why you see the garbage advertised on Hannity, Jones, etc... That's why Joe Mercola and NaturalNews.com have gone full GOP. The advertising on FOX and such resembles Coast2Coast AM these days. GOP managed to mainstream fringe crap (vaccine disinformation for example) to their market. That doesn't make it any less crap. It makes the GOP evil cynics.

Back
Top Bottom