• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Genocidal Pentecostals?

Clivedurdle

Basic Beliefs
Gnostic Atheist!
Probably because I am naturally a cynic, I was not surprised by the overturning of José Efraín Rios Montt’s conviction for genocide last week. I am even less surprised that those Pentecostals, prominent celebrity preachers among others said nothing about this sad human rights tragedy. There seems to be such selective memory among certain sectors of American Pentecostalism, that they never have to apologize or say they were wrong–even if they’re wrong alot–about alot–and they just keep talking. The political debates around US policy in Central America in the 1980s were when I came of political age.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/amsanc...atemala-rios-montt-the-silence-of-complicity/

From May 2013.

What with Mr Cruz going to Liberty, do some stones need turning?

It's not genocide when conservative Christians do it.

You're supposed to use the politically correct term "spreading the love of Jesus."

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/preacher-ties-guatemala-dictator-efrain-4012289

A preacher with ties to Latin American dictator Efrain Rios Montt has set up a chapel in rural Wales.

American Dick Funnell moved here around eight years ago after spending years in Guatemala where the church he helped found, Verbo Ministries, enlisted General Montt as “academic director” of its school.

Gen Montt was recently found guilty of genocide and crimes against humanity by a court in Guatemala.

It was a historic moment because he was the first former head of state to face genocide charges in a court within his own country.

However, his conviction was quashed this week and he faces a retrial.

He stood accused of being behind the massacre of 1,771 people, the forced displacement of another 29,000, and of trying to destroy the indigenous Ixil community.

There is no suggestion Mr Funnell has done anything wrong.

I am not clear what has happened to the genocide charges, but Montt was a senior Pentecostal himself.

Pentecostals seem to have issues with ideas of social justice and may be exhibiting psychiatric symptoms.

http://mis.sagepub.com/content/29/4/417.full.pdf+html

Are Pentecostals Oblivious to Social Justice? Theological and Ecumenical Perspectives

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_triad

The dark triad is a group of three personality traits: narcissism, Machiavellianism and psychopathy.[1][2][3] Use of the term "dark" implies that these traits have malevolent qualities:[4][5][6][7]

Narcissism is characterized by grandiosity, pride, egotism, and a lack of empathy.[8]
Machiavellianism is characterized by manipulation and exploitation of others; a cynical disregard for morality, and a focus on self-interest and deception.[9]
Psychopathy is characterized by enduring antisocial behavior, impulsivity, selfishness, callousness, and remorselessness.[10]

See? That's exactly what I'm talking about. Your use of the word "genocide" proves that you are persecuting Christians. Let me fix that quote for you.

A preacher with ties to Latin American dictator Efrain Rios Montt has set up a chapel in rural Wales.

American Dick Funnell moved here around eight years ago after spending years in Guatemala where the church he helped found, Verbo Ministries, enlisted General Montt as “academic director” of its school.

Gen Montt was recently found guilty of [spreading the love of Jesus] and crimes against humanity by a court in Guatemala.

It was a historic moment because he was the first former head of state to face [spreading the love of Jesus] charges in a court within his own country.

He stood accused of being behind the massacre of 1,771 people, the forced displacement of another 29,000, and of trying to destroy the indigenous Ixil community.

There, see? Was that so hard?

Remember, it's never "genocide" when Christians do it. That's how we know the Nazis were all atheists. :cheeky:

You will have to forgive me! I live on the other side of the pond and it was only by serendipity that I heard about this! I don't remember it being discussed on this and similar boards!

Are there any summary sites showing what xians get up to "spreading the love of Jesus" around the world? Does for example laws in Uganda count?

See? That's exactly what I'm talking about. Your use of the word "genocide" proves that you are persecuting Christians. Let me fix that quote for you.

Gen Montt was recently found guilty of [spreading the love of Jesus] and crimes against humanity by a court in Guatemala.

It was a historic moment because he was the first former head of state to face [spreading the love of Jesus] charges in a court within his own country.

There, see? Was that so hard?

Remember, it's never "genocide" when Christians do it. That's how we know the Nazis were all atheists. :cheeky:

Oh my gosh! You're worse than me.

Back
Top Bottom