• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Genocide in Yemen supported by U.S. and U.K.

NightSky

Basic Beliefs
Undisclosed
Is the Trump administration enabling genocide in Yemen? And will Americans ever pay attention?

While President Donald Trump has been busy distracting attention from the Russia inquiry at home and shoring up his humanitarian credentials in Syria, his administration has also participated in a quiet effort to starve millions of Yemeni civilians into submission. The Saudi-led coalition waging war in Yemen, with the United States’ full support, has been carrying out a bombing campaign that has made it virtually impossible for most of the country to feed itself. The result is that a Yemeni child is starving to death once every 10 minutes, with about 4,000 dying each month. If the death toll continues to rise, Trump could soon have the blood of tens of thousands of children on his hands. How this came about and what it means for the moral integrity of American culture may be the most neglected story of our time.

Genocide In Yemen: Media Complicit In US-Saudi War Crimes

Yemen has been devastated by asymmetrical aerial bombardment by a Saudi-led coalition, and the war on Yemen, along with a Saudi-imposed blockade, is having disastrous impacts on food and water security.

The United Nations reported in October that more than half of Yemen’s 28 million people are short of food. At least 1.5 million children are going hungry in the poorest country on the Arabian Peninsula, including 370,000 who are suffering from malnutrition so severe that it’s weakening their immune systems.

And the Saudi-led attacks continue, striking Yemen’s hospitals, which are running out of medicine. All the while, these attacks have continued to receive backing from the United States and the United Kingdom since they began on March 26, 2015.

Yemen: From Saudi violations of international law to Western complicity in genocide

Genocide is taking place in Yemen at the hands of a coalition of Arab states led by Saudi Arabia, supported by the US and the UK, while the world is deaf to the screams and misery of Yemeni children.

As a university instructor in media studies, I always focus my students’ attention on journalistic objectivity as a significant principle of journalistic professionalism. I teach them about fairness, disinterestedness, factuality, and non-partisanship, and how to encompass all of these qualities in a journalistic piece even if it were an Op-ed.

However, today I find myself compelled to take sides when I write about Yemen. For how can a journalist or a political writer be objective when writing about dead children? Children who have been bombed intentionally in homes, schools, and markets while the world is not only blind but also choosing to ignore the fact that the war on Yemen is a genocidal one.

When even one child in the West dies due to acts of terrorism, we learn about the tragedy and our hearts bleed and we wonder about the future of Islam in the West and Muslims' abilities to integrate into the fabric of Western culture. Somewhere subconsciously (if not consciously) perhaps, we both wonder at with suspicion and hold the entire global Muslim population responsible for that one act of terrorism that seems to be a part of a random series of acts of terrorism that has continued to be perpetrated. But what about non-Western children when we as the West (U.S. and U.K.) directly support their deaths through genocide - do their lives not matter and should we then not hold ourselves responsible for their genocide? Human rights should not only be catchphrase that we use for a political purpose. We should ascribe to ourselves a lack of concern for human rights when we allow such atrocities and travesties such as the Yemeni genocide to continue taking place before our eyes and let our governments offer arms deal to a reprehensible regime directly participating in this genocide. Senator Paul Ryan plans to oppose the arms deal offered to Saudi Arabia, a state that I consider criminal and sponsor of state terrorism, and yet the last time he did that, the vote in Senate by a large margin favored the deal being offered to Saudi Arabia. History is likely to repeat this time.

President Trump read a speech off the teleprompter asking the Muslim world to fight radicalization and terrorism, and I have no congratulations to give him because his speech not only ignored the Yemeni genocide taking place with apparently our political blessing but carried no rebuke for Saudi Arabia that is the number one exporter of Wahhabism, an intolerant literalist fundamentalist ideology, that is at the least an auxiliary factor in terrorists being inspired to commit their terrorism around the globe.

Today, as I fast for Shahru Ramadan, I know that while I will be able to eat at sunset and be able to have peace this Memorial Day weekend because I'm dipped in First World privilege, and yet I know that many Yemeni children will not have either option. And I will with a certainty know of course that we, the people of the West, have allowed our governments (U.S. and U.K.) to support the Yemeni genocide while simultaneously the mainstream Western media has continued to also widely ignore the horror. Maybe President Trump's constant disparagement of the media has some truth in basis - the media pays attention to what it wants to shape our perception of the world and politics and future, but it continues to show apathy concerning sharing of other stories that are not feel-good and expose our own hypocrisy in terms of globally touted concern for human rights - we express that concern when it suits us, not when it is ethically right. We sleep better that way, and of course our leaders are reassured that that is what really matters.

Peace.

When even one child in the West dies due to acts of terrorism, we learn about the tragedy and our hearts bleed and we wonder about the future of Islam in the West and Muslims' abilities to integrate into the fabric of Western culture. Somewhere subconsciously (if not consciously) perhaps, we both wonder at with suspicion and hold the entire global Muslim population responsible for that one act of terrorism that seems to be a part of a random series of acts of terrorism that has continued to be perpetrated. But what about non-Western children when we as the West (U.S. and U.K.) directly support their deaths through genocide - do their lives not matter and should we then not hold ourselves responsible for their genocide? Human rights should not only be catchphrase that we use for a political purpose. We should ascribe to ourselves a lack of concern for human rights when we allow such atrocities and travesties such as the Yemeni genocide to continue taking place before our eyes and let our governments offer arms deal to a reprehensible regime directly participating in this genocide. Senator Paul Ryan plans to oppose the arms deal offered to Saudi Arabia, a state that I consider criminal and sponsor of state terrorism, and yet the last time he did that, the vote in Senate by a large margin favored the deal being offered to Saudi Arabia. History is likely to repeat this time.
But you don’t get the game (sarcasm – as you probably do get it, but didn’t say it). The failed Hadi government are the good guys because SA like them as they are Sunni, as well as Iran like the Hothi’s as they are Shia, so they are the bad guys. And after many years of assured chaos with the foreign backing of the failed Hadi’s…cough….government, branch stores of AQAP have expanded along with newer ISIL 7-11’s on many corners. And since they are bad guy, we can back the good guys as they are taking out the ‘terrorists’. Collateral damage is the fault of the ‘terrorists’.

President Trump read a speech off the teleprompter asking the Muslim world to fight radicalization and terrorism, and I have no congratulations to give him because his speech not only ignored the Yemeni genocide taking place with apparently our political blessing but carried no rebuke for Saudi Arabia that is the number one exporter of Wahhabism, an intolerant literalist fundamentalist ideology, that is at the least an auxiliary factor in terrorists being inspired to commit their terrorism around the globe.
Two things I think are worth pointing out: (1) Our backing of these horrors fully started under the Obama administration, including providing air tanker refueling for SA fighter/bomber jets to kill Yemenis. Pres. Obama did slow some things down towards the end of his Presidency, as the bombing of civilians got even worse. (2) The US has a bizarre relationship with SA. I’m figure it started mostly about the oil, but it certainly is an ugly bed we have jumped into with them. This phrase comes to mind: "He that lieth down with dogs shall rise up with fleas”. We seem to be strongly against ‘radical Islam’, yet like you point out, SA is the biggest evangelizer and international funder of fundamentalist Islamic ideology. After 9-11, with 3/4s of those terrorists being SA citizens, one would have thought we would re-think our ME at large policies. I sort of think that we just ended up with 2 species of fleas, the ones we started with, and then the desert species to boot…

Today, as I fast for Shahru Ramadan, I know that while I will be able to eat at sunset and be able to have peace this Memorial Day weekend because I'm dipped in First World privilege, and yet I know that many Yemeni children will not have either option. And I will with a certainty know of course that we, the people of the West, have allowed our governments (U.S. and U.K.) to support the Yemeni genocide while simultaneously the mainstream Western media has continued to also widely ignore the horror. Maybe President Trump's constant disparagement of the media has some truth in basis - the media pays attention to what it wants to shape our perception of the world and politics and future, but it continues to show apathy concerning sharing of other stories that are not feel-good and expose our own hypocrisy in terms of globally touted concern for human rights - we express that concern when it suits us, not when it is ethically right. We sleep better that way, and of course our leaders are reassured that that is what really matters.
The corporate mainstream press has lots of failings, but it really doesn’t fit the ‘fake news’ narrative et.al. Oddly, our western media is fairly kind to our neocons and the military-complex which support our government’s imperial posture. Part of the problem is that a large portion of Americans want The Easy Button solution, so presidents and prospective presidents tend to speak on those terms. It doesn’t seem to matter that The Easy Button is no more real than the Easter Bunny. El Cheato took the Easy Button meme to new heights in his campaign and even more so into his presidency so far.

After 16 years of mucking around in Afghanistan with nothing to show for it, do you think we are going to have any concern? This will remain so, as long as the number of body bags coming home remains relatively low.... Ask not what your country can do for you, but what can be put on Uncle Sam’s AMEX card.

I don't think the mainstream of either the Democratic or Republican Party will offer any good solutions to this issue. The primary tool of the Presidency has been the military. There is a decided lack of promoting peaceful institutions and values in American culture, too. Rah Rah rah, Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, Independence Day. "All soldiers fight for our freedoms. They are heroes." Our culture needs to change drastically to offer real solutions. In the meantime, there's a UNICEF fund.

Genocide In Yemen: Media Complicit In US-Saudi War Crimes

Yemen has been devastated by asymmetrical aerial bombardment by a Saudi-led coalition, and the war on Yemen, along with a Saudi-imposed blockade, is having disastrous impacts on food and water security.

The United Nations reported in October that more than half of Yemen’s 28 million people are short of food. At least 1.5 million children are going hungry in the poorest country on the Arabian Peninsula, including 370,000 who are suffering from malnutrition so severe that it’s weakening their immune systems.

And the Saudi-led attacks continue, striking Yemen’s hospitals, which are running out of medicine. All the while, these attacks have continued to receive backing from the United States and the United Kingdom since they began on March 26, 2015.

Yemen: From Saudi violations of international law to Western complicity in genocide

Genocide is taking place in Yemen at the hands of a coalition of Arab states led by Saudi Arabia, supported by the US and the UK, while the world is deaf to the screams and misery of Yemeni children.

As a university instructor in media studies, I always focus my students’ attention on journalistic objectivity as a significant principle of journalistic professionalism. I teach them about fairness, disinterestedness, factuality, and non-partisanship, and how to encompass all of these qualities in a journalistic piece even if it were an Op-ed.

However, today I find myself compelled to take sides when I write about Yemen. For how can a journalist or a political writer be objective when writing about dead children? Children who have been bombed intentionally in homes, schools, and markets while the world is not only blind but also choosing to ignore the fact that the war on Yemen is a genocidal one.

Peace.

This is a war that was until recently forgotten. This war was in progress with starts stops and peace deals. Since 2009 it intensified. There was little in the press, just short reports. While in the UAE the press suddenly printed a list of UAE soldiers killed in the coalition armies.

During this war Ansar al-Sharia which is an umbrella for several Al Qaeda has secured control of some parts of Yemen.

Aw shit, this is nothing that can't be solved by allowing the Saudis another few hundred billion dollars worth of armaments with which to put down those uppity rebels. Just ask Teh Donald - he has a PLAN!

Quit crying about the actions of the west, clean your own house!

This is just another example of the eternal Sunni/Shia war within Islam.

Blame the meddling power that actually caused this: Iran.

LOL, I can't tell if you are just being sarcastic or really mean that.

- - - Updated - - -

Aw shit, this is nothing that can't be solved by allowing the Saudis another few hundred billion dollars worth of armaments with which to put down those uppity rebels. Just ask Teh Donald - he has a PLAN!

May I remind you that this war was sanctioned and supported by Obama?

Loren Pechtel said:

I'd say he is serious, as Iran Loren pretty much always frames Iran as the bad guys. Never mind that Iran has to find a way to get any support to Yemen either thru hostile countries like SA, or more neutral Oman, or by sea with US warships watching. We know that SA is massively supporting the overthrown ex-dictator Hadi government and they bomb the shit out of the country with Made in America sold bombs and missiles. American capitalism at its finest...

- - - Updated - - -

May I remind you that this war was sanctioned and supported by Obama?

Sure. Does that mean I have to favor it?
See funinspace's post above.

I'd say he is serious, as Iran Loren pretty much always frames Iran as the bad guys. Never mind that Iran has to find a way to get any support to Yemen either thru hostile countries like SA, or more neutral Oman, or by sea with US warships watching. We know that SA is massively supporting the overthrown ex-dictator Hadi government and they bomb the shit out of the country with Made in America sold bombs and missiles. American capitalism at its finest...

Iran is the biggest player in world terrorism these days. Just because your side doesn't want to admit this doesn't make it go away.

Iran is the biggest player in world terrorism these days. Just because your side doesn't want to admit this doesn't make it go away.
Then it would not be difficult for you to list their recent terrorist acts. Staring with 1992 bombing of israel embassy in Argentina. Anything else in the last 25 years? And then do the same for Saudi Arabia.

Because it's less that the West supports the genocide as it is that it doesn't really care.
I meant people on this forum, not the abstract West.

Who are part of the West. Not that anyone is pro-genocide, of course, and we're all against innocent people getting killed, but it's just not up there at the "what will I get for lunch today?" level of concern.

Terrorist, rebel, freato fighter....fun with words.

All the administrations have been at it but Trump may have well exceeded the figures given in this article.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...audi-arabia-weapons-arms-deals-foreign-policy

‘Obama has sold more advanced weaponry to Saudi leaders than any of his predecessors’ Photograph: Carolyn Kaster/AP

Back
Top Bottom