• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Genocide in Yemen supported by U.S. and U.K.

Aw shit, this is nothing that can't be solved by allowing the Saudis another few hundred billion dollars worth of armaments with which to put down those uppity rebels. Just ask Teh Donald - he has a PLAN!

All the administrations have been at it but Trump may have well exceeded the figures given in this article.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...audi-arabia-weapons-arms-deals-foreign-policy

‘Obama has sold more advanced weaponry to Saudi leaders than any of his predecessors’ Photograph: Carolyn Kaster/AP
Yes, sales had gone up under Pres. Obama, but I think the article had a few phrases that suggest an inversion of intent. Like this one:
his administration has dramatically ramped up arms sales to the kingdom and other Gulf allies
One does not "ramp up sales" in weapons, so much as respond to increased demand from gulf countries seeking more weapons. So Obama approved those increased purchase requests that the gulf countries requested. And that ties back to probable perceptions of increased danger in the ME along with more aggressive international policies. I suspect that SA and its piglets lost control of their ISIS cum Frankenstein... And King Salman also become more militarily adventurous than his predecessors, and his crown prince Muhammad bin Nayef seems to be in the middle of much of it. Sometimes it actually isn't only all about what the US is doing....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...udi-prince-is-playing-with-fire-a6804481.html
At the end of last year the BND, the German intelligence agency, published a remarkable one-and-a-half-page memo saying that Saudi Arabia had adopted “an impulsive policy of intervention”. It portrayed Saudi defence minister and Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman – the powerful 29-year-old favourite son of the ageing King Salman, who is suffering from dementia – as a political gambler who is destabilising the Arab world through proxy wars in Yemen and Syria.

Iran is the biggest player in world terrorism these days. Just because your side doesn't want to admit this doesn't make it go away.
Then it would not be difficult for you to list their recent terrorist acts. Staring with 1992 bombing of israel embassy in Argentina. Anything else in the last 25 years? And then do the same for Saudi Arabia.

The problem is you aren't willing to consider the proxies they operate through as being theirs.

- - - Updated - - -

Iran is the biggest player in world terrorism these days. Just because your side doesn't want to admit this doesn't make it go away.
Terrorist, rebel, freato fighter....fun with words.

Only the defenders of terrorism can't tell the difference between terrorism and freedom fighters.

You're right. People who defended state terrorism such as Shock and Awe in Iraq framed it as our soldiers were over there "fighting for our freedom."

Only the defenders of terrorism can't tell the difference between terrorism and freedom fighters.
That's easy. Freedom fighters are people that the US sponsors killing other people. Terrorists are people killing other people, that the US doesn't sponsor, and often oppose.

Quit crying about the actions of the west, clean your own house!

This is just another example of the eternal Sunni/Shia war within Islam.

Blame the meddling power that actually caused this: Iran.

I should tangentially mention that I am a product of Western culture and Don2 is right: I'm an American citizen. Now, that we have gotten assumptive biases out of the way, I should also like to mention that it should not have mattered an iota whether I belonged to the U.S. or not because the focus should have been on the genocide happening in Yemen. Even if, by the way, I had not been from the West, and instead been somewhere in the East, I would still have a right to point out a humanitarian crisis that is being perpetrated with Western political blessing. By the way, it is not just that President Donald Trump has signed an armament deal worth billions but it is also that we've been providing "military and intelligence assistance" since 2015 to Saudi Arabia. I don't know why that makes you think we're side players in this game of death and destruction when we've been deliberately orchestrating this inhumane game in favor of Saudi Arabia (SA). Aid agencies have been warning our government of the humanitarian crisis in Yemen since 2015, and yet we've consistently failed to revise our foreign policy to ameliorate the crisis in Yemen and instead even lost ourselves the opportunity to stand up in the name of justice and mercy to chastise SA for its continuation of bombing that robs innocent people and children of a future. SA is currently even preventing humanitarian aid from reaching the Yemeni peoples.

I disagree with you on another point, specifically your simplistic analysis of Saudi Arabia's motivations in this warfare. While I have no doubt that Saudi Arabia being a Sunni-majority country is partially motivated to act against Yemen in this inhumane way due to the centuries-old sectarian conflict with Iran being a Shia-majority country, Saudi Arabia also is doing so to ensure that its hegemony remains unchallenged in the Middle East and because SA desires that U.S. choose SA to have better foreign relations with over Iran. In spite of President Donald Trump's tumultuous time in Oval Office, the fact remains that America is still considered the most powerful and fearsome country in the world; and SA wants powerful allies, especially from the West (U.S. and U.K.).

Despite Iran's obvious flaws as an oppressive government, at least for its peoples and its rather sometimes hostile attitude towards the West, let's try to be honest about why U.S. doesn't like Iran: U.S. doesn't like Iran is because Iran doesn't bow down to Western hegemony as do all other countries in the world. So, while SA wants to enslave itself to U.S. despite not being a "friend" in the sense of preventing Wahhabism from dominating the Muslim world, Iran wants to stand in consideration as an equal partner and be able to look all Western countries in the eye and call the "West" (though of course I know we're not a monolith) out as a peoples and a country on the sometimes hypocritical attitudes we are wont to adopt and also our unfettered support for Israel against Palestine. However, SA is a monarchy and one at that which desperately wants to preserve its regime and believes allying itself with the West will make it less likely for a CIA-directed and MI6-blessed coup to occur against the regime; and SA is right. However, SA's monarchy will fail, as have other monarchies in the past when hubris overtook their remaining moral compass.

I have written what I've written as a Sunni Muslim, one who has at this point in time been a Muslim for less years than I have been an atheist in the past.

And despite what some may think or say (even you, sir), the West is "my house." And I am hoping that that we're all as a collective going to participate in cleaning the house for many different reasons, including the reason above in 2018 and in 2020. I would like to support Senate candidates that do not think such matters are A-okay just because, and I want to help elect a President that represents fairness and justice and mercy for all peoples, including Americans who do not have a stake in this game and so should not be made to feel the burden of even indirectly the lost lives of innocent peoples in Yemen through oppressive and ill-thought-out foreign policy decisions that do not represent Western or even American values.

Also, if you think I haven't posted about the Yemeni genocide in a Muslim-majority board, you'd be incorrect. In fact, even before creating the thread on here, I had sought to raise awareness about the humanitarian crisis in Yemen on a Muslim-majority board (as I do with other issues periodically when I find myself concerned). And I have long spoken out against the Sunni-Shia sectarian conflict within the Muslim world, as I am not of a tribal mindset and never have been, creditable almost entirely to values that I cherished as an atheist and still do as a Muslim.

It's bigoted to point the blame at the primary entities involved rather than his pointing at a very secondary entity?
See above.

I disagree with you: While I'm Sunni, I'm not blind to the fact that the Sunni side, specifically the Wahhabism-laden understanding in Sunnism, is currently as per the definition of "terrorism" the biggest player in terrorism. Iran, as a Shia-majority country, doesn't come even close. The reason I earlier put terrorism in quotation marks is because terrorism, like it or not, now is synonymous with and mostly used only as a means of defining any hostile act or terror plot in which a Muslim person or group participated and does not include other types of religious, ethnic, political or secular attacks or plots that take place around the globe.

Peace.

Last edited:

That's easy. Freedom fighters are people that the US sponsors killing other people. Terrorists are people killing other people, that the US doesn't sponsor, and often oppose.

Sounds about right :) (in the minds of US Sponsors)

I don't know why that makes you think we're side players in this game of death and destruction when we've been deliberately orchestrating this inhumane game in favor of Saudi Arabia (SA). Aid agencies have been warning our government of the humanitarian crisis in Yemen since 2015, and yet we've consistently failed to revise our foreign policy to ameliorate the crisis in Yemen and instead even lost ourselves the opportunity to stand up in the name of justice and mercy to chastise SA for its continuation of bombing that robs innocent people and children of a future. SA is currently even preventing humanitarian aid from reaching the Yemeni peoples.

The problem is there is no good fix for Yemen.

I disagree with you on another point, specifically your simplistic analysis of Saudi Arabia's motivations in this warfare. While I have no doubt that Saudi Arabia being a Sunni-majority country is partially motivated to act against Yemen in this inhumane way due to the centuries-old sectarian conflict with Iran being a Shia-majority country, Saudi Arabia also is doing so to ensure that its hegemony remains unchallenged in the Middle East and because SA desires that U.S. choose SA to have better foreign relations with over Iran. In spite of President Donald Trump's tumultuous time in Oval Office, the fact remains that America is still considered the most powerful and fearsome country in the world; and SA wants powerful allies, especially from the West (U.S. and U.K.).

The inhumane way they are acting is the norm for the Sunni/Shia war. What would be notable is if it didn't happen. There's no reason to blame the US for it.

Despite Iran's obvious flaws as an oppressive government, at least for its peoples and its rather sometimes hostile attitude towards the West, let's try to be honest about why U.S. doesn't like Iran: U.S. doesn't like Iran is because Iran doesn't bow down to Western hegemony as do all other countries in the world.

No, we aren't happy with Iran because Iran is trying to impose it's version of Islam by force. Not to mention their repeated acts of war against the US.

Also, if you think I haven't posted about the Yemeni genocide in a Muslim-majority board, you'd be incorrect. In fact, even before creating the thread on here, I had sought to raise awareness about the humanitarian crisis in Yemen on a Muslim-majority board (as I do with other issues periodically when I find myself concerned). And I have long spoken out against the Sunni-Shia sectarian conflict within the Muslim world, as I am not of a tribal mindset and never have been, creditable almost entirely to values that I cherished as an atheist and still do as a Muslim.

The thing is you are fixated on blaming the US for helping SA rather than recognizing that Yemen is simply an aspect of the ongoing war.

I disagree with you: While I'm Sunni, I'm not blind to the fact that the Sunni side, specifically the Wahhabism-laden understanding in Sunnism, is currently as per the definition of "terrorism" the biggest player in terrorism.

While I agree that the Sunnis are probably responsible for more terrorism they aren't a single entity. The Iranian government is.

Iran, as a Shia-majority country, doesn't come even close. The reason I earlier put terrorism in quotation marks is because terrorism, like it or not, now is synonymous with and mostly used only as a means of defining any hostile act or terror plot in which a Muslim person or group participated and does not include other types of religious, ethnic, political or secular attacks or plots that take place around the globe.

Terrorism is pretty much synonymous with Muslims these days because they're the ones that do the big incidents that get the news coverage.

The problem is there is no good fix for Yemen.

The inhumane way they are acting is the norm for the Sunni/Shia war. What would be notable is if it didn't happen. There's no reason to blame the US for it.

Despite Iran's obvious flaws as an oppressive government, at least for its peoples and its rather sometimes hostile attitude towards the West, let's try to be honest about why U.S. doesn't like Iran: U.S. doesn't like Iran is because Iran doesn't bow down to Western hegemony as do all other countries in the world.

No, we aren't happy with Iran because Iran is trying to impose it's version of Islam by force. Not to mention their repeated acts of war against the US.

The thing is you are fixated on blaming the US for helping SA rather than recognizing that Yemen is simply an aspect of the ongoing war.

I disagree with you: While I'm Sunni, I'm not blind to the fact that the Sunni side, specifically the Wahhabism-laden understanding in Sunnism, is currently as per the definition of "terrorism" the biggest player in terrorism.

While I agree that the Sunnis are probably responsible for more terrorism they aren't a single entity. The Iranian government is.

Iran, as a Shia-majority country, doesn't come even close. The reason I earlier put terrorism in quotation marks is because terrorism, like it or not, now is synonymous with and mostly used only as a means of defining any hostile act or terror plot in which a Muslim person or group participated and does not include other types of religious, ethnic, political or secular attacks or plots that take place around the globe.

Terrorism is pretty much synonymous with Muslims these days because they're the ones that do the big incidents that get the news coverage.

The US has been involved in this war by backing the pro-Saudi Houthi rebels

http://www.npr.org/sections/paralle...port-of-saudi-led-coalition-in-yemen-conflict

Since March 2015, the U.S. has been providing support to a Saudi-led military coalition fighting Houthi rebels. The Houthis ousted Yemen's government and forced the president, Abed Mansour Hadi, to flee to Saudi Arabia.

Initially the Saudis thought they could easily uproot the Houthis, but the conflict has ground on much longer than the Saudis expected.

As a result, Chris Murphy, a Democratic senator from Connecticut, says the U.S. is becoming an indispensable partner to Saudi Arabia and its bombing campaign there.

"The United States provides the bombs. We provide the refueling planes in mid-air. We provide the intel," Murphy tells NPR. "I think it's safe to say that this bombing campaign in Yemen could not happen without the United States."

Yet Murphy says U.S. involvement in the Yemen conflict is getting very little notice.

"It's wild to me that we're not talking more about this," he says. "The U.S. is at war in Yemen today, there's no doubt about it."

http://www.npr.org/sections/paralle...port-of-saudi-led-coalition-in-yemen-conflict

Since March 2015, the U.S. has been providing support to a Saudi-led military coalition fighting Houthi rebels. The Houthis ousted Yemen's government and forced the president, Abed Mansour Hadi, to flee to Saudi Arabia.

Initially the Saudis thought they could easily uproot the Houthis, but the conflict has ground on much longer than the Saudis expected.

As a result, Chris Murphy, a Democratic senator from Connecticut, says the U.S. is becoming an indispensable partner to Saudi Arabia and its bombing campaign there.

"The United States provides the bombs. We provide the refueling planes in mid-air. We provide the intel," Murphy tells NPR. "I think it's safe to say that this bombing campaign in Yemen could not happen without the United States."

Yet Murphy says U.S. involvement in the Yemen conflict is getting very little notice.

"It's wild to me that we're not talking more about this," he says. "The U.S. is at war in Yemen today, there's no doubt about it."

In other words, we are aiding an attempt to restore the government of Yemen.

Yes, and the Russians are merely aiding an attempt to restore the government of Syria.

We are supporting Saudi's escalation of this war to do this as if there is a good and bad side to this. The only thing for certain is outside intervention has created a much worse situation than before.

Yes, and the Russians are merely aiding an attempt to restore the government of Syria.
LOL...Yep. After all the US is known for respecting the existing governments of all nations. What ever happened to Gaddafi...

I did like last Yemeni election as well, and Hadi had only been VP since 1994. Sounds about as worthy of an endeavor as as supporting French Indochina...
http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/21/world/meast/yemen-elections/
undreds of voters voted Tuesday in Sanaa's old town section to replace Yemen's longtime ruler, Ali Abdullah Saleh, in an election marred by sporadic violence.

While the election was short on candidates -- the only person on the ballot was Vice President Abdurabu Mansur Hadi, who became acting president in November as the result of a power transfer brokered by the Gulf Cooperation Council after months of protests -- it appeared to be long on hope.

Quit crying about the actions of the west, clean your own house!

This is just another example of the eternal Sunni/Shia war within Islam.

Blame the meddling power that actually caused this: Iran.

I.e., ignore everything the West does. No, that's counterproductive and idiotic.

Back
Top Bottom