• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Getting High Is Just As Good Now As An Atheist

I'm useless talking to my wife when I'm stoned. I tried some just after I retired. I got tired of it.

I could potentially vacuum the floor while stoned.

I did manage to untangle this mass of tangled wires while stoned. I don't know if I could have done it in my right mind.

The picture reminds me of the old TV commercial "This is your brain on drugs" only in that case it helped.

2022 04 09 16 42 12.jpg

Sometimes we need a little temporary escape from the harshness of life.
True enough. The escape (for me) is to forget the sadness, pleasure, pain and ecstasy. They are the exclusive province of the living, but are not life itself. Intoxicants don’t really help me with that; only meditation does. But psychedelics did play a huge early role.

True story (while we're posting for the sake of posting), in ancient India psychedelics were quite widespread and led to religious beliefs that included a holistic understanding of the world. I think this is in part why I've largely lost interest in drugs and alcohol; I've spent the past four years studying Asian thought, which leads to the same place except the insight is deeper and more explicit. Now average, sober living is interesting enough.

I did a bit of that when I was younger but found it didn't really solidify any particular understanding. Not like books and reading have.

Nowadays I'll take an edible sometimes, but it's mostly for something to do.

Another thing that’s sad … I have barely had any time to enjoy the fruits of my labors:
564AF170-74AF-4C19-8B70-3D96C5782333.jpeg

Stuff is so strong, I have almost lost interest and its use is now relegated to late night only.
It’s going to take years to use it all up, even with help. (about five stuffed, gallon size ziplocks full).

Guess it’s time to graduate to heroin.

There have been times when getting a little buzz on has motivated me to clean. But, it's mostly a way to relax and enjoy music or comedy in the evening. Because, imo, humor really is the best medicine. There is even evidence, although it needs to be studied more, that laughter has a positive impact on our immune systems. That may be why, along with exercise, that I haven't had as much as a cold in many years.

There is also evidence that older women can increase their sex drive by using a little weed just before hand. Not that I would know anything about that. ;) I read about that in a book called, "Woman", written by a female biologist.

I'm not suggesting that any drug is healthy, including many Rx. drugs that have lots of serious side effects. For example, Mr. Sohy used to have fainting spells secondary to his blood pressure medicine. I was the one who figured that out and told him to take it at night, instead of in the morning as it was ordered. He never fainted again. My anti seizure drug interferes with my absorption of vitamin D, so I have to take D supplements. Why did I have seizures? It was a side effect from another Rx. drug that I took for a few years. So, even the drugs that we take to help keep us healthy, often have side effects, and some of them are very serious. Yet, a lot of people freak out over the usage of cannabis, the least dangerous of all the recreational drugs, if used in moderation.

I'm just saying that sometimes for some of us, having a little something that helps us temporarily escape reality isn't a bad thing. It doesn't have to be a drug. I consider my daily aerobic routine as another way of helping me cope. So, whatever turns you on, just do it safely!

Stuff is so strong, I have almost lost interest and its use is now relegated to late night only.

I had the same problem when I re-tried legal flower last year, it was too hard to be disciplined enough not to smoke too much.

A single edible usually does the trick, I chill out for a bit and no more.

There have been times when getting a little buzz on has motivated me to clean.

That's how it effects me. Not washing but organizing, putting things away, etc... But also a bit of paranoia if I let it so I need to be careful.

You seem like a person who'd enjoy Tulsi. Can be smoked, but I use it as a tea every night. It's a natural de-stressor with no psychoactive component or side-effects, so it's all calm with no downside.

Unlike other sedatives, also doesn't induce sleepiness.

There have been times when getting a little buzz on has motivated me to clean.

That's how it effects me. Not washing but organizing, putting things away, etc... But also a bit of paranoia if I let it so I need to be careful.
It makes my sister a bit paranoid, but she also suffers from an anxiety disorder. It's probably best that she doesn't use. She has to take a Rx. drug for her anxiety. it's never impacted me like that. It just gives me a pleasant buzz. I consider myself lucky if it motivates me to clean or organize things that I've been putting off doing. Housework never ends, yet here I sit as straight as an arrow and I haven't left the sofa for hours, while sitting between two adorable sleeping dogs. That's the beauty of retirement.
I consider my daily aerobic routine as another way of helping me cope.

Thanks for that reminder. My use of weed has been largely supplanted by swimming. Swimming tires me out, endorphins reduce pain levels …

I can't say that doing aerobics wears me out, or has diminished the enjoyment I get from a little Maryjane in the evening, but I agree that exercise does help with pain, as well as my general outlook on life. Considering the times in which we live, that's a great benefit of exercise. It helps my balance too, which is very important for a small woman in her 70s who has osteoporosis. I've never had a broken bone and hope to keep it that way.

It makes my sister a bit paranoid, but she also suffers from an anxiety disorder. It's probably best that she doesn't use.

I have the same problem, but noticed lately that I have a very low threshold between relaxation and anxiety. When I was in my early twenties I smoked far too much, so it was no surprise that the stuff started making me anxious. Back then, before Canada was legalized, you never knew the strength of what you were smoking, and regulated edibles weren't available.

In Ontario the conservatives privatized sales so Cannabis is available all over our city, and these shops all sell edibles that let you know strength down to the milligram. Far easier to be smart about it that way. You can do stuff like cut the pieces in halves or quarters.

Early this year I bought a gram of flower for the first time in years, but it's surprising how much pot that actually is when you have no tolerance. I was smoking the tiniest of amounts with some Tulsi, and it was still too much.

I was smoking the tiniest of amounts with some Tulsi, and it was still too much.

Right?
I want to try Tulsi, but it reminds me of that Hawaiian fake Democrat.

It's actually pretty solid (and a commonplace tea). I buy it from a tea shop at our downtown market, where it's quite popular, usually about 200 grams at a time. Much different from pot in that there is definitely no high to speak of, but IIRC some of it's chemistry directly reduces stress levels, and I've found that it actually works. Do some Googling, you might find some of the info interesting.

Typically I mix it with peppermint (body relaxant), less mint if I just want to chill out, more if I want to knock myself out. This is where I landed after years of experimenting with herbals.

The other thing my wife and I do is grind coffee at a ratio of 66% decaf and 33% regular. Two advantages, we can drink coffee all day, and are never completely jacked out on caffeine. We keep a bag of 100% around when we do want to be a little jacked.

I was smoking the tiniest of amounts with some Tulsi, and it was still too much.

Right?
I want to try Tulsi, but it reminds me of that Hawaiian fake Democrat.

It's actually pretty solid (and a commonplace tea). I buy it from a tea shop at our downtown market, where it's quite popular, usually about 200 grams at a time. Much different from pot in that there is definitely no high to speak of, but IIRC some of it's chemistry directly reduces stress levels, and I've found that it actually works. Do some Googling, you might find some of the info interesting.

Typically I mix it with peppermint (body relaxant), less mint if I just want to chill out, more if I want to knock myself out. This is where I landed after years of experimenting with herbals.

The other thing my wife and I do is grind coffee at a ratio of 66% decaf and 33% regular. Two advantages, we can drink coffee all day, and are never completely jacked out on caffeine. We keep a bag of 100% around when we do want to be a little jacked.
I'm addicted to iced tea, but it was causing me to become anemic, starting in my early 50s. I learned that the tannic acid interferes with the absorption of iron. I've known this for years, but never cut back enough on my tea, so every year or so, the anemia was back. Then, I finally got smart. Now I make the tea so weak that it's more like tea flavored lemon water. I like it unsweetened and I still love the watered down version. My blood work has been normal for the past year. Ice tea is a Southern addiction but a lot of doctors don't realize it can cause anemia if one drinks too much. I don't even want to admit how much I drank when I worked as a QA nurse in my late 40s. My hemoglobin and hematocrit were so low, that my former doctor was sure I had a GI bleed. Nope. It was just the tea. I'm posting this in case anyone else has an excessive black tea habit. I hate coffee, which I consider genetic. My mom couldn't even stand the smell of it. It's so weird how many little things we inherit from our parents.

I read through a few replies but there's so many of them it would take time just to read them all.
What I read of your replies I loved and like hanging on here from time to time.
I get busy doing so many other things that I hardly get time to stop in here a few minutes.

20 years would suit me but my family does not have a good reputation of lasting too much past their 50s.
My mom was like only 63. My one uncle wasn't much older than I am now when he past away. Maybe 56?

I hope I can last a decent number of years yet and always hope for the best.

Love you people, will try to read more replies later.

Bud is the most aromatic stuff I know. I have a jar of bud I've been keeping in the garage way up hight on the top shelf in a rusty coffee can, for special occasions, like there's no one else in the house but us cats. But I had to move it because my son is cleaning up the garage. He actually took the can down two days after I removed it. Inside 5 layers of ziplock bags I can still smell it just putting it a foot from my face. Must be wildly small molecules of aroma.

I don't want my kids to smell it.

Who has a cheap way to keep that aroma bottled up? I've almost finished a big jar of peanut butter and I was going to clean it out and see if it works, but it's fat. Hard to hide. I like something more flat. Any suggestions?

It occurs to me that I don't need to keep in in the original plastic jar that's about 1.5x a can of Fancy Feast. The smell comes right through. Will it be smell free in a glass jar with a twist one top like what relish or olives come in?

Why don't you keep it in the freezer? That will keep it fresher and I seriously doubt anyone will smell it in the freezer. You can wrap it tightly and put in a plastic container so it looks a container of left over food.

Bud is the most aromatic stuff I know. I have a jar of bud I've been keeping in the garage way up hight on the top shelf in a rusty coffee can, for special occasions, like there's no one else in the house but us cats. But I had to move it because my son is cleaning up the garage. He actually took the can down two days after I removed it. Inside 5 layers of ziplock bags I can still smell it just putting it a foot from my face. Must be wildly small molecules of aroma.

I don't want my kids to smell it.

Who has a cheap way to keep that aroma bottled up? I've almost finished a big jar of peanut butter and I was going to clean it out and see if it works, but it's fat. Hard to hide. I like something more flat. Any suggestions?
You could use a vacuum sealer.

You could use a vacuum sealer.
Vac sealers tend to smash buds - I REALLY don't like the way they come out.
I use Ball (canning) jars. With super-aromatic buds you have to wash the outside of the jar after filling it (even a trace of dust will leave a human-detectable scent).

Most of mine is in big gallon ziplocks, inside a giant tupperware container, but that's far from smell-proof; I have to keep it in a special section of the basement. But what I have out for use lives in a little 4oz canning jar. That will last ... apparently a long time, since it has been over a month and it's still full.

I grew two plants this year, supposedly from the same seed but they're far from identical. One closely resembles last year's plant, which I loved; it is only mildly smelly, super strong and delightful to handle. The other one ... you can smell it a mile away. It is also strong, but not exceptionally so. The bud structure is looser, and I don't prefer it.

Back
Top Bottom