• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

GlaxoSmithKline f*cks up again

Perspicuo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Empiricist, ergo agnostic
Popular antidepressant Paxil not safe or effective for teens, study finds
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/paxil-antidepressant-ineffective-unsafe-for-teens-study-finds/

The widely prescribed antidepressant paroxetine -- sold under the names Paxil, Aropax and Seroxat -- has been found to be neither a safe nor effective treatment for depression in adolescents, according a new reanalysis of research originally published in 2001.

The new paper is published today in The BMJ. It contradicts the findings of the original study, which was funded by the drug's manufacturer and concluded that paroxetine was safe and effective in treating major depression in children and teens.

OTOH...
Is It Still Safe to Give Antidepressants to Children and Adolescents?
http://ncpamd.com/antidepressant-suicide/

The question is, shouldn't these companies be required by law to publish their negative findings, under pain of heavy fines comparable to an important percentage of earnings from the drug?

I mean, if science isn't our last bulwark against bullshit, we have no hope.

Ya, and while we're at it, why don't we just go ahead and have police departments report how many people they gun down and have factories report which rivers they dumped toxic chemicals into?

Sheesh, dude. :confused:

Ya, and while we're at it, why don't we just go ahead and have police departments report how many people they gun down and have factories report which rivers they dumped toxic chemicals into?

I am Mechanix the Magnificent! (cue appropriate audience shudder)
"From this day all political functions shall implement science in all activities."

Sheesh dude, what? Responsibility? Am I so old school I don't think it's too much to ask?

Why do you hate our freedom? What's so great about commonism? Didn't anyone send you the memo that commonism failed when the Soviet Union collapsed? The Soviet Union collapsed because commonism is the same thing as fascism!

Also, liberals are exactly as bad because they think Jade Helm 15 isn't real! How delusional is that? [/conservolibertarian]

Why do you hate our freedom? What's so great about commonism? Didn't anyone send you the memo that commonism failed when the Soviet Union collapsed? The Soviet Union collapsed because commonism is the same thing as fascism!

Also, liberals are exactly as bad because they think Jade Helm 15 isn't real! How delusional is that? [/conservolibertarian]

....help me I'm shrinking, shrinking, shrinking, ..... Clicks heels and goes home.

Antidepressants are way overused. They're a big help to some people, they're of little benefit to many. They generally carry considerable side effects.

The suicide bit, though, is actually a sign of them working. The problem is that a severely depressed person might be suicidal but too depressed to actually do the deed. The drugs restore one's energy faster than they lift one's mood--thus sometimes you get the drugs giving the patient the energy to kill themselves before they had time to remove the desire to do so.

Speaking of toxic chemicals and rivers reminds me of fees versus fines. Essentially, for differential purposes (besides the monetary involvement), a fee says, "you may" whereas a fine says, "you may not."

If the fee for proper dumping is ten times the fine for improper dumping, then taking the fine makes better sense than paying the fee, assuming backlash doesn't factor in.

Now, if this little factoid doesn't spark change and corporations continue to prefer the fine over the fee, I wonder if the fine is a fee in disguise, operating as a fine for the publics viewing pleasure.

The suicide bit, though, is actually a sign of them working. The problem is that a severely depressed person might be suicidal but too depressed to actually do the deed.

Interesting hypothesis. Never heard of it before. It sounds worth researching.

- - - Updated - - -

The profit motive and truth are incompatible.

Sometimes. The capitalism arrangement where stocks are up for the money grab seems to me a recipe for disaster when involving health research.

Back
Top Bottom