• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Glenn Thompson Repub from PA votes NO on same sex marriage bill.....

We be talking Civil Rights here, not a tax on carbon.
Is that code for "We're talking about outraged Wokesters here, not reality. There's no point in discussing nuance with political extremists."?
Tom
Yeah... I have no idea what you are saying.
The word nuance does cause that problem amongst political extremists.
Tom
Well yeah, but I still have no idea what you meant when you said:

Is that code for "We're talking about outraged Wokesters here, not reality. There's no point in discussing nuance with political extremists."?

I mean, I have a better idea now. Though, I think it odd you are falling back on a nuance defense here. You are literally one or two SCOTUS decisions from being a felon again, depending on what state you are in. I mean nuance and all.

Of course there is nuance, but it isn't any of the nuance being brought up--the critical issue is really about same-sex marriage and the excuses people will try to make to ban it. The new bill has been tried before in different versions, last time back in 2009. It changes around to try to get more people in favor of it and so any nuances can be and have been implemented as both amendments and revisions. Why did this bill come about? It came about because of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) which unconstitutionally defined marriage as a thing between a man and a woman--an anti-liberty position against consenting adults that people ought to be against. This old act had been found to be unconstitutional and for quite a few reasons following up there had to be some kind of way to recognize marriage across states for applicable federal law and policies. So, the primary feature of the new bill is that it is a repeal of anti-liberty, authoritarian, draconian conservative reactionary shenanigans on the Law. Screaming about fantastical excuses about pedophilia or "the Woke" do not change the reality that one side wants to restrict rational, healthy, consenting adults and Glenn Thompson is an asshole.

Glenn Thompson is an asshole.
Is Thompson an asshole because he voted for his constituents preferences, or because he celebrated his son's wedding?
Tom
He is a hypocrite and greedy. Votes one way to appease his base and continue to receive funds from his base for re-election and then does the complete opposite in his real life.

Is Thompson an asshole because he voted for his constituents preferences, or because he celebrated his son's wedding?
Tom
He is a hypocrite and greedy. Votes one way to appease his base and continue to receive funds from his base for re-election and then does the complete opposite in his real life.
So you think he's an asshole because he represents his constituents in a Congressional vote.

What about the fact that the measure passed, he knew it would, and he celebrated his kids gay wedding knowing there'd probably be political blowback?
Tom

So you think he's an asshole because he represents his constituents in a Congressional vote.
When his constituents are assholes, then yes.

What about the fact that the measure passed, he knew it would, and he celebrated his kids gay wedding knowing there'd probably be political blowback?
Tom
First, you don't know what this fellow knew or didn't know. Second, if he is not afraid of blowback from his constituents on this issue, why vote no?

In 2013, soon after the Sandy Hook massacre, Glenn Thompson attended a NRA rally in a politician suit and when he was ready to trigger his extremist followers, he took off his dress shirt to expose a NRA t-shirt he just happened to be wearing, you know, because he wears an NRA t-shirt all the time under his Armani. Then, he went on ranting about gun rights and other things, but let's be nuanced! His constituents made him do it. If he didn't take that position and wear the t-shirt after the Sandy Hook murders, he'd be fired from his big salary and have to go work as a Senior Director of the Boy Scouts again (who are not homophobic) or as a coal company executive or whatever.

That wasn't the only time that Glenn Thompson had to strip down for constituents either. He was forced to do it again in 2019 when trying to appeal to farmers.

Poor Glenn Thompson and his business suits are just victims in all this.

Oh wait, that's not nuance! It's fantastical excuses, like I already wrote.

Tom

Tom
The facts you adduce about Mr.-Thompson-goes-to-Washington present a tarnished-sterling picture of hypocrisy

Tom

Tom
The facts you adduce about Mr.-Thompson-goes-to-Washington present a tarnished-sterling picture of hypocrisy
What facts are you referring to?
Tom

I know nothing about Glenn Thompson, or his family.

But he wouldn't be the first politician to vote against something his constituents opposed, knowing that the measure would be passed anyway. Because most of Congress had a constituency that was in favor. So the measure would pass, regardless of how he voted.

This isn't difficult to understand.
Tom
Oh, I think most of us understand that reality.

And most of us recognize cowardice and hypocrisy as well.

I'd be curious to hear if Thompson has an explanation. There might be valid reasons to object to the bill. As far as I can see, it commits the federal government to recognizing as legitimate a marriage between a 40-year-old man and his 8-year-old bride, if it took place in Yemen with her parents' consent.
That is not a reason to "object to the bill". That is a reason to "offer a common sense amendment to the bill" as pertains to a lower-age bound of such codification.

As such, while it is a reason to offer an amendment it is merely an excuse to object to the bill entire.
I'll note that the reason he didn't is because that would make his child-bride-seeking constituents very unhappy.

Tom

Tom
I haven't been able to find any reference to Thompson's district but there is this:
The bill comes at a time when 71% of Americans, including a majority of Republicans, supports same-sex marriage, according to a Gallup poll last month.

So it appears he is not representing his constituents.

Back
Top Bottom