• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

God and evil

I find it challenging to understand the devotion to a deity who is believed to have introduced evil into the world and seems to spend the majority of time lamenting over it. What an incredibly stupid God. You have the capacity to accomplish a vast array of things, yet you bitch and moan more than Kanye West.

I find it challenging to understand the devotion to a deity who is believed to have introduced evil into the world and seems to spend the majority of time lamenting over it. What an incredibly stupid God. You have the capacity to accomplish a vast array of things, yet you bitch and moan more than Kanye West.

I once a read a book highly recommended by my Christian friends. It was by a rabbi, Kuschner I think.
It was called "When Bad Things Happen To Good People". I was a little stunned by the time I finished. All the author really did was remove the Almighty part from Almighty God. God really wants to save your baby from leukemia, but His hands are tied. He wants people to behave better, but all He can do is inspire scripture.

The author simply reduced God to what I refer to as "bumbling sky king with superpowers".
Unimpressive.
Tom

I read that too. He comes out unconditionally to say that God, by His nature, cannot act on intercessory prayer. He can just, you know, comfort you with mental communication. Nice dodge on the observation that the universe seems to operate without a loving, interacting deity in charge.

Back
Top Bottom