• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

God and evil

If it is your will to follow close to the 'objective'
I have no idea what that’s even supposed to mean. I’m just pointing out that religiosity doesn’t in any way imply objectivity-especially as applies to morality or ethics.
I see, you have no idea, but you put earlier "WITH God, moral standards vary between people [..]”!"

You not saying anything different to when I said that "without God moral standards would vary [..] So to state the obvious... both lines in bold imply people having their own moral standards, hence variations wouldn't be objective.
The issue is that there are the Tanakh and New Testament... and a splintering of ideas as to what the objective moral code is among people that believe either or both of those documents are God ordained.

you put earlier "WITH God, moral standards vary between people [..]”!"

You not saying anything different to when I said that "without God moral standards would vary [..]

That’s pretty atheistic isn’t it?

Unless your statement was meant to be superfluous. Why point out something that is common to both as if it was a difference?
I meant in terms of those who ignore God's standards, even if God was present. For some, it would make no difference.

I’m getting that you’re saying the real benefit of a god is that it guaranteesvarying moral standards, and otherwise is a nonfactor?

Perhaps you meant to say, “with or without God, moral standards vary
Moral standards vary between people, period, and religions only exacerbate it.
Varying standards is the factor of individual Free Will.

you put earlier "WITH God, moral standards vary between people [..]”!"

You not saying anything different to when I said that "without God moral standards would vary [..]

That’s pretty atheistic isn’t it?

Unless your statement was meant to be superfluous. Why point out something that is common to both as if it was a difference?
I meant in terms of those who ignore God's standards,
You mean the ones written with words that have questionable meaning, such as Thou shall not "kill". Anyone that creates standards realizes real quick that writing standards is hard! Forget trying to parse based on specs in a very old language that has nomenclature that has long since been forgotten. The Bible, in general, is not a collection of morality specifications. The portions that are the clearest, Leviticus, goes nearly unheeded by Christians.
...even if God was present. For some, it would make no difference.
So disingenuous. The cult always warns their cult followers about the disbelievers. This is no different.

Jimmy Higgins: I have an invisible rabbit.
Learner: Prove it.
Jimmy Higgins: I could but you wouldn't believe it.

Hi Learner,

Yes, I understand religious believers think Gods standard is objective.
Sorry BH, yes of course you'd know that.

My question is if God is not himself subject to a standard that is objective and apart from himself how do you know you have not been deceived by a devil or demon and tricked into following a false standard?
My view as Christian may be a short and simple explanation (while my guest is making tea). I take from examples like the verse below, Matthew 7 : 15 -16 which in relation to the teaching of the gospels which is to be taught and spread through the prophets, preachers and teachers throughout the world etc.:

15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits.

What I find interesting is that not only do Christians point out false preaching done by other Christians who contradict the bible but also... I have seen atheists and Muslim's point them out too. There is a universal understanding to some extent at least when regarding Jesus, comparing many behavioral attributes of Christians that don't measure decently enough to the Christ-like image attributes. You will know them by their fruit.

Coinciding with the above verses not Christ-like - its through the false prophets who are to be watched :

1 John 4:1
4 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.

1 Timothy 4:1
Some Will Depart from the Faith
1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons,

1 Timothy 6: 3-5
3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; 4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, 5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.
If I understand you right Learner, and please correct me if I am wrong, you do seem to believe there is a moral standard that even God is bound to and subject to then. If the way to tell the difference between the doctrine of God and the doctrine of a demon in religion is whether the teaching has good fruit or not then that means that the fruitfulness of the doctrine (to benefit people overall) is an objective standard that even God is bound by.
Yes according to the bible view, its written there are certain things God is bound by. Bound by His word, He 'cannot' lie, or break promises, nor fear anyone, He doesn't fail, nor fail those who love Him etc.

I meant in terms of those who ignore God's standards
There are no such standards. Prove me wrong.
Me: So what? Can I subsist on invisible hasenpfeffer?

Yes according to the bible view, its written there are certain things God is bound by. Bound by His word, He 'cannot' lie, or break promises, nor fear anyone, He doesn't fail, nor fail those who love Him etc.

According to Bob Dobbs, whose book is of known origin, IT IS WRITTEN that fools following the directives of ancient science-ignorant sheep herders shall never find SLACK, which is the true objective of all life.

I think Bob is better supported than you, refuse-to-Learner. I have a grain of salt to split between the two of you.

If I understand you right Learner, and please correct me if I am wrong, you do seem to believe there is a moral standard that even God is bound to and subject to then. If the way to tell the difference between the doctrine of God and the doctrine of a demon in religion is whether the teaching has good fruit or not then that means that the fruitfulness of the doctrine (to benefit people overall) is an objective standard that even God is bound by.
Genesis 11 comes straight to mind on "fear". And that was over people trying to build a building to reach where God lived.

I meant in terms of those who ignore God's standards, even if God was present. For some, it would make no difference.
That's possible, but those "some" would constitute a minuscule number of complete idiots.

If God were to actually punish people for breaking His rules (as He is alleged to have done in the Biblical era), then His existence would be obvious, and His wrath unquestionable.

Without a doubt, there are some people in even the most effective of surveillance regimes who will try to subvert the system; And some who will break even the most obviously sensible and reasonable rules.

But an all-knowing and all-powerful God could (without even touching my precious free will) remind me of His rules and the consequences of breaking them in real time, if He cared one iota about my actions.

If I were about to (for example) risk my immortal soul by committing adultery, it would be pretty compelling to me if the clouds were to part, and a giant finger of admonishment emerge to wag in my face while a booming voice said "This is against my commandment; Think long and hard before you make this mistake!"

And yet, this kind of thing just stopped happening a couple of thousand years ago, because... er... when Jesus died for our sins that made everything different somehow. So does Jesus's bad weekend mean that God no longer cares if I commit adultery? Or does He no longer care if I burn in hell eternally for having done so? Or does He not understand that I am skeptical of the claims made by His followers and their books? Or is He happy with both the adultery and the subsequent punishment? What, indeed, is the benefit of an infinitely excessive punishment that occurs long after the crime, and is unknown (other than as unconvincing rumours) to anyone else who might be contemplating a similar crime?

We know that if you want people to not commit crimes, the best option is to stop them before they act; And that a less effective option is to impose small and well publicised punishments immediately after their crimes; and that even less effective is to impose larger punishments but with longer times between the crime and its consequences. Massive punishments, long after the event, are now known and demonstrated to be by far the least effective way to reduce criminal activity.

But God seems to have missed all the developments in criminology and psychology since the medieval era, and to have settled on the punishment model we know to be least effective - extreme and excessive punishment for even the most minor transgressions, imposed long after the offence, and in secret (with only easily dismissed rumours of the punishments ever reaching those who might also choose to commit the crime in future).

Never mind "free will"; Whatever that is, the current legal system clearly doesn't prevent it from operating just the same way it would and did in an entirely anarchistic environment. And yet the supposedly all-powerful God can't even achieve something as limited in its effectiveness as our secular and human systems of law, crime, and punishment.

If you park in a 'No Standing' zone, and block up peak hour traffic, then if it's a very brief transgression, not much will happen to you apart from some invective from passing motorists. If the offence is more prolonged, a local laws officer will turn up, and instruct you to move the vehicle. If he cannot find you, or you refuse, he might impose a financial penalty, proportional to the severity of the offence and its impact on other citizens. In the most severe cases, your car will likely be towed (the authorities will act to mitigate the damage you're doing, once they have tried and failed to persuade you to do so); And you will, within a specified fairly short time period, pay a fine to have it returned to you, or it will be permanently confiscated. This system is a sufficient deterrent that most people don't commit the offence, and the few who do are unlikely to commit it in its most severe form twice.

The punishments are public; Everyone knows what they are. And they are swift; Nobody is allowed to continue, unpunished and unmolested, with their offensive behaviour indefinitely, or even for very long. And they are proportionate; Nobody gets incarcerated for life with hard labour, for a mere traffic violation*.

If God were sitting on the traffic laws committee for the city council, His solution would be very different. He would have the city authorities do absolutely nothing for an average of thirty or forty years, and then secretly and mysteriously kidnap the offender and subject them to eternal misery, while having a bunch of (frankly unconvincing) people spread rumours that this had probably occurred, and hint darkly at the possibility that it could happen to anyone. Meanwhile, every highway in the city would be choked with traffic, while preachers sermonised about the problem being due to homosexuality, and to a constitutional ban on posting the parking regulations in schools. Any call to introduce tow trucks to at least clear up the worst affected streets, would be dismissed as an unacceptable violation of the free will of the offenders.

Which of these do you think would be the most effective solution to traffic congestion in the city?

Why, if you apparently feel God to be worthy of your respect (or even worship), do you make Him out to be so massively and completely incompetent that even a city council can develop a more effective way to influence people to do the right thing?

*May not be applicable in North Korea, or for black people in some states of the USA.

I couldn’t figure out how to put the :ROFLMAO: in my “like” notification …

Hi Learner,

My question is if God is not himself subject to a standard that is objective and apart from himself how do you know you have not been deceived by a devil or demon and tricked into following a false standard?
My view as Christian may be a short and simple explanation (while my guest is making tea). I take from examples like the verse below, Matthew 7 : 15 -16 which in relation to the teaching of the gospels which is to be taught and spread through the prophets, preachers and teachers throughout the world etc.:

15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits.

What I find interesting is that not only do Christians point out false preaching done by other Christians who contradict the bible but also... I have seen atheists and Muslim's point them out too. There is a universal understanding to some extent at least when regarding Jesus, comparing many behavioral attributes of Christians that don't measure decently enough to the Christ-like image attributes. You will know them by their fruit.

Coinciding with the above verses not Christ-like - its through the false prophets who are to be watched :

4 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.

1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons,

3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; 4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, 5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.
Sorry I'm late getting back to you. Theoretically a demon could make those promises too or say those things. And if promises were not kept an excuse could be made up, all the while claiming it was god speaking and not actually a demon. And how would you objectively tell what is good fruit or not? It seems to me you are stuck with your own opinion of what a good fruit is.

Hi Learner,

Ancient skeptic Carneades. Nothing can threaten God, as God is all powerful. Thus God cannot have fear for his personal safety. Thus God cannot be brave.

We can take Carnede's proposition and apply to other things. God foresees the future. Thus God can never be surprised.

It is argued by religious believers that you have no moral standard to follow if a god does not exist to give you one.

If you have no moral standard without a god to give you one how do you know the moral standard given by the god is in fact from the god and that you have not been deceived by a demon or devil like figure giving you a false moral standard?
God has no moral STANDARD. According to the Bible he is omnipotent. He creates all good and all evil.

It is argued by religious believers that you have no moral standard to follow if a god does not exist to give you one.

If you have no moral standard without a god to give you one how do you know the moral standard given by the god is in fact from the god and that you have not been deceived by a demon or devil like figure giving you a false moral standard?
God has no moral STANDARD. According to the Bible he is omnipotent. He creates all good and all evil.
I agree with you technically speaking. But you have different god claims and different moralities and cult rituals. How can you tell which is which if there is no objective standard outside of a supposed god existing to give us one.?

Hi Learner,

Sorry I'm late getting back to you.

Hey BH, apologies from me too for getting back late. No doubt you are as busy as I am ( I've stretched myself a little thinly taking on various projects plus my own work).

Theoretically a demon could make those promises too or say those things. And if promises were not kept an excuse could be made up, all the while claiming it was god speaking and not actually a demon. And how would you objectively tell what is good fruit or not? It seems to me you are stuck with your own opinion of what a good fruit is.

Yes absolutely, there is that idea for believers in the Abrahamic faiths, who by that understanding, should/would have that cautionary awareness. - from as you mention above, 'a demon could make those promises too, etc. which similarly said in verse 2 Corinth 11 :14. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

In Christianity, an entity would have to prove who they're from, like fulfilling the promises made, consistently, having no influences causing conflictions with actions that goes against Jesus - maintaining or confessing Jesus is (their) Lord by the entity. There are various things Christians look out for, who also make videos to highlight them, like for example of profiteering etc .. basically you'll be able to notice, who actually benefits or gains (by their fruit) depending on the teaching of his or her particular doctrines.

Last edited:
I meant in terms of those who ignore God's standards
There are no such standards. Prove me wrong.
No, I can agree with you. (That's If people decide they ain't gonna follow em that is)

If every single person followed those standards (standards portaryed by Christians), there'd be no wars.

Prove me wrong.
Me: So what? Can I subsist on invisible hasenpfeffer?

According to Bob Dobbs, whose book is of known origin, IT IS WRITTEN that fools following the directives of ancient science-ignorant sheep herders shall never find SLACK, which is the true objective of all life.

I think Bob is better supported than you, refuse-to-Learner. I have a grain of salt to split between the two of you.
Thank you Elixir, I am touched you have put me up there side by side with Bob even though there is a little difference by a mere grain of salt between us two. As you note... I am 'not the Gospels',( but a learner of them ;)). I am not the guru of other Christians, especially when there are tons out there that could give you tougher challenges than I. If I'm able to respond to your posts at a low level refuse-to-learner as you put it - so what more of them... who are more than cerebrally worthy? I like your humour btw like some of the others... which may be the best you can do, just to respond with something to say, 'which has no weight if that's your debate'.:rolleyes:

...He doesn't fail, ....

That's easy to claim when he keeps destroying the evidence of his experiments gone awry.

I see. How would you get that sort of conclusion? Did you manage to see the gone awry experiments just before the evidence was destroyed?

If he just keeps killing everyone, maybe he'll get it right the next time...

Cheerful takes Camede's proposition in post # 33 which doesn't suggest experiments necessary:

We can take Carnede's proposition and apply to other things. God foresees the future. Thus God can never be surprised.

Perhaps you two can have your own private discussion and make some alterations between you. It would be interesting to hear.

...He doesn't fail, ....

That's easy to claim when he keeps destroying the evidence of his experiments gone awry.

I see. How would you get that sort of conclusion? Did you manage to see the gone awry experiments just before the evidence was destroyed?

If he just keeps killing everyone, maybe he'll get it right the next time...

Cheerful takes Camede's proposition in post # 33 which doesn't suggest experiments necessary:

Perhaps you two can have your own private discussion and make some alterations between you. It would be interesting to hear.

Uh, read the bible. Adam, Eve, Sodom, Gamorrah, the Great Flood....you think killing those people and failing on original sin is an example of success??

To put another way, if the deliberate destruction and murder of 99.999% of the life on the planet in order to start over is an example of success, then what the heck would failure look like?

Back
Top Bottom