• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

God is Love? Not Really. God is Hell.

I define god to be this mechanical pencil. This mechanical pencil exists, therefore God is real.

I bet you now feel stupid for being an atheist all these years! You never planned on what would happen if you encountered a theist as brilliant as me, did you? The Bible says you are all fools, and I just proved it!

Also:

if-there-is-no-god-how-comes-the-world-fits-9965512.png

Edit: the above is a parody.

- - - Updated - - -

In case it wasn't obvious, the above is what I think of those "God is love" and related arguments. It's an obvious and desperate attempt to define god into existence.

I learned as a young catholic that god is WW2:

Churchill
Hitler
Roosevelt
Il Duce
Stalin
Tojo

What were those nuns thinking?

If God is love, why don't people say "I God you" instead of "I love you"?

Probably someone thought it wise to say to say it that way as it would be confusing. I creator you or I designer you. Must seem odd being at the end of a text with kisses.

If God is love, why don't people say "I God you" instead of "I love you"?

Probably someone thought it wise to say to say it that way as it would be confusing. I creator you or I designer you. Must seem odd being at the end of a text with kisses.
Yeah. 'God' is not a verb. But 'lord' is.
'Creator' doesn't verb, nor does 'imaginary.' But strangely, 'magic' verbs.

Was walking the pups today and saw a house with one of those banners that read "God is Love." It made me think of all the experiences we have which bring "love" to mind. And for lots of people that means their favorite version of a spaceman.

But in all those other situations Hell never comes to mind. So I was thinking about people's concept of love and realized that the god association is really quite distinct in that it is the only one that also equates with hell. Gods and hell go together like peas and carrots. Puppies and hell don't have the same association.

God and religion are often considered mirrors to the soul and for good reason. More often than not, one's interpretation of theological works is a reflection of themselves as much as a statement on the work. In this way, you can interpret that sign as the bearer being a person who internalized his or her faith as a work of love and good will. An optimist of sorts.

I'm more of the Steven Weinberg opinion:

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

There are many good reasons to fear God.
Yeah, Isaac won't shut up about it!
He is not entirely rainbows and butterflies and cute puppies.
Well, the Tanakh god was almost free of rainbows and butterflies.
"...If anyone worships the beast and its image, and receives its mark on his forehead or hand, he too will drink the wine of God’s anger, poured undiluted into the cup of His wrath."
"And the Lord foretold that all men that did not bow to him would be treated as a king as well because really, who was he to judge. He recognized it wasn't like someone anointed him a god, he just kind of fell right into it. So believers and non-believers, fear not a pricky and judgmental god, and just try to be nice and shit."

Was walking the pups today and saw a house with one of those banners that read "God is Love." It made me think of all the experiences we have which bring "love" to mind. And for lots of people that means their favorite version of a spaceman.

But in all those other situations Hell never comes to mind. So I was thinking about people's concept of love and realized that the god association is really quite distinct in that it is the only one that also equates with hell. Gods and hell go together like peas and carrots. Puppies and hell don't have the same association.

In my experience, Christians often have an immature and frankly, perverted sense of what love is. I feel like I did when I was a Christian. Please note I said "often". I think it's easy to see why. When your religion revolves around the weird love god has for hs children, hell, many version of Christian free will, and tribalism, well, it's no surprise their version of love can be pretty toxic and limiting in many ways.

Back
Top Bottom