• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

God is Love? Not Really. God is Hell.

T.G.G. Moogly

Traditional Atheist
Basic Beliefs
egalitarian
Was walking the pups today and saw a house with one of those banners that read "God is Love." It made me think of all the experiences we have which bring "love" to mind. And for lots of people that means their favorite version of a spaceman.

But in all those other situations Hell never comes to mind. So I was thinking about people's concept of love and realized that the god association is really quite distinct in that it is the only one that also equates with hell. Gods and hell go together like peas and carrots. Puppies and hell don't have the same association.

Was walking the pups today and saw a house with one of those banners that read "God is Love." It made me think of all the experiences we have which bring "love" to mind. And for lots of people that means their favorite version of a spaceman.

But in all those other situations Hell never comes to mind. So I was thinking about people's concept of love and realized that the god association is really quite distinct in that it is the only one that also equates with hell. Gods and hell go together like peas and carrots. Puppies and hell don't have the same association.

God and religion are often considered mirrors to the soul and for good reason. More often than not, one's interpretation of theological works is a reflection of themselves as much as a statement on the work. In this way, you can interpret that sign as the bearer being a person who internalized his or her faith as a work of love and good will. An optimist of sorts.

If our god is just a mirror of ourselves, then that explains why my god is so into cocaine and whores. I'd always thought that those were weird personality traits for the Almighty, but now it makes sense.

You choose to go to hell, not God. God has nothing to do with it even though God created all the rules and everything.

You choose to go to hell, not God. God has nothing to do with it even though God created all the rules and everything.

God supposedly decided from the very beginning who will be the elect and who will be the non-elect, and damned to Hell. We don't get a choice. God the Great Potter decides all.

If our god is just a mirror of ourselves, then that explains why my god is so into cocaine and whores. I'd always thought that those were weird personality traits for the Almighty, but now it makes sense.

Cocaine and whores, Tom? Such vapid and hollow pursuits. I suggest Speed and A variety of metal you most enjoy while breaking other people's personal property. Far more fulfilling.

I don't feel that it's my place to tell the creator of the universe how to spend his evenings.

That's just because you're not confident enough in my good taste. Being an all-powerful, all-knowing creator god of all creation doesn't make him right.

That's just because you're not confident enough in my good taste. Being an all-powerful, all-knowing creator god of all creation doesn't make him right.

Ya, but the whole sending plagues and flooding the planet things he does when he gets pissed off makes people somewhat hesitant to mention it to him when he's wrong.

Ya, but the whole sending plagues and flooding the planet things he does when he gets pissed off makes people somewhat hesitant to mention it to him when he's wrong.

Don't be such a yes man Tom! Take a chance once in a while.

Don't be such a yes man Tom! Take a chance once in a while.

The problem is that the guy's omniscient. That means that whenever somebody's going to come up and tell him off, he already made plans a week earlier to be elsewhere at the time and you can't find him.

There are many good reasons to fear God.
He is not entirely rainbows and butterflies and cute puppies.

"...If anyone worships the beast and its image, and receives its mark on his forehead or hand, he too will drink the wine of God’s anger, poured undiluted into the cup of His wrath."

Yes obviously tattoos of animals are a good reason to fear God and his wine.

"...If anyone worships the beast and its image, and receives its mark on his forehead or hand, he too will drink the wine of God’s anger, poured undiluted into the cup of His wrath."
The spaceman must be afraid of me because it never visits. But there are lots of puppies and butterflies and rainbows in my life, so I shall draw my own conclusions.

There are many good reasons to fear Superman, too. Look at how he treats Lex Luthor - public humiliation and then shopping him to the cops. (The apparent repeated inability of the legal system to keep him incarcerated is hardly the fault of the Man of Steel).

Of course, like your god, Superman need not be feared by real, sane human beings, because he is just a fictional character. But if you are a character in his genre, and you commit crimes, fear of him would be totally justified.

Of course, if real people think they are subjected to the actions of fictional characters, they could probably benefit from psychiatric care. Fear of god is a paranoid delusion.

The god of the bible as described in the book is no god of love, understanding, mercy or compassion...which was recognised by the Gnostics who relegated him to the status of an evil demiurge, a Satanic Figure.

vintage-pink-face-coffee-mug-mad-3d-nose-angry-tea-cup-mt-clemens-pottery-12oz-d5bf51e010ea814b847030661d5d7d61.jpg

Discovered! The cup of god's wrath!

Back
Top Bottom