• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Good Qur'an translation

Perspicuo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Empiricist, ergo agnostic
I admit it, I haven't read the Qur'an, so I do not "really" know about Islam... except for what other people --yes, very smart and all-- have said. So, is there an authoritative translation of the Qur'an, that is not a skewed translation either for or against, out there you can recommend me?

Also, which might be a good scholar who is good at interpreting it, who knows the different sects, and his not either a nitwit proselytizer or an anti-Muslim?

Not a suggestion, just my own experience. I spent some time in jail where we were only allowed religious books. I got a bilingual copy of the Koran and got the Nation of Islam folks to teach me the script. Peace be unto Him but learning a language that way is a NIGHTMARE. It's hard to believe people ever did that - I did makes some progress, but as soon as I got out I utterly forgot it. The only part that sticks with me are the chapters where Allah instructs the faithful not to bother the Prophet when he's busy...oh, and the Surat An-Nur, which is rather beautiful

Allah is the Light of the heavens and the earth. The example of His light is like a niche within which is a lamp, the lamp is within glass, the glass as if it were a pearly star lit from the oil of a blessed olive tree, neither of the east nor of the west, whose oil would almost glow even if untouched by fire. Light upon light

And a very basic suggestion - when you want to learn, DO NOT go to the holy texts directly. Read a book about the texts first. This may be touchy with Islam, but I became Buddhist during a college course, reading a book called 'The Vision of Buddism'. If I'd started with the Pali Canon, I'd have ran away.

And a very basic suggestion - when you want to learn, DO NOT go to the holy texts directly. Read a book about the texts first. This may be touchy with Islam, but I became Buddhist during a college course, reading a book called 'The Vision of Buddism'. If I'd started with the Pali Canon, I'd have ran away.

This also. Scripture is really not the best place to start as it lacks context. Islam by Alfred Guillaume is a good starting point. Hossein Nasr's work is also enlightening (but denser), and his son has written some interesting things in the field of polisci/IR.

That's not really true - supposedly you can't understand the Koran in any language but Arabic, and that's a bit of burden. OTOH you can read the Tao te Ching in an afternoon - and read it over and over again and still get more. But generally, holy canons were written long ago, in foreign cultures and aren't allowed to be be contextualized so you can understand them. I've read a lot of mythology and such - some are just easier than others. Most Buddhist texts are DENSE, but the Popul Vuh is okay, if weird.

the original Qur'an was burned to unify all Qur'ans....

Back
Top Bottom