• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Goodwill exploits workers with penny wages

NO! It is NOT okay. How dare this corporation take advantage of a loophole? Especially when the upper echelons are earning so much more. It smacks of the feudal system to me.

Give them minimum wage. They are working. They deserve it.

Goodwill my arse. If I was in America, I would boycott giving them any of my stuff until they treated all their employees equally.

Unconscionable, regarding the company. But sometimes I think that employees are their own worst enemy for standing alone as individuals with virtually no bargaining power and accepting substandard pay and condition. I know that some may be desperate for am income and feel that something, however little it may be, is better than nothing. But this just undercuts not only themselves, but everyone in that position. I think this applies to both the disabled and those in a low income bracket.

The loophole is wrong, but that a philanthropic pays its workers less than the minimum wage is an outrage.

I looked in to this awhile back as our local grocery employs folks with disabilities. It is the law that they can pay in accordance with productivity but I feel if you are a willing employer you should eat the loss of productivity or perhaps be allowed to write off a portion on your taxes (well there's a new thought) at best.

Screw um. Go in to business for yourself. Whoever told you you couldn't?

Medina Creative Property Maintenance, Produce, Coffee, Pet Play

I looked in to this awhile back as our local grocery employs folks with disabilities. It is the law that they can pay in accordance with productivity but I feel if you are a willing employer you should eat the loss of productivity or perhaps be allowed to write off a portion on your taxes (well there's a new thought) at best.

The reality is that the companies are not going to want to eat the loss. It's low wages or no wages.

The reality is that the companies are not going to want to eat the loss. It's low wages or no wages.

Why are companies in other countries, Australia, Sweden, Norway, Germany, etc, able pay higher wages yet are still able to make a healthy profit? Not to mention that these countries are in better economic shape than the US. Fairer wages can be achieved, so what is America doing wrong?

Why are companies in other countries, Australia, Sweden, Norway, Germany, etc, able pay higher wages yet are still able to make a healthy profit? Not to mention that these countries are in better economic shape than the US. Fairer wages can be achieved, so what is America doing wrong?

They are paying higher wages because they charge more for their products.

Could you cite specific examples.

By what standard are the countries you mentioned in better economic shape than the US?

Look up purchasing power parity.

The official numbers are bad enough, I've run across a couple of crowdsourced calculators that always show even more difference--wiping out the increased minimum wage entirely rather than just taking a big bite out of it.

That's right. Taking purchasing power into account, minimum wage earners in Australia are still better off than their American counterparts. Our employment rate is not higher than the US and job security is better. I've provided the stats several times in several different threads on this subject.

That's right. Taking purchasing power into account, minimum wage earners in Australia are still better off than their American counterparts. Our employment rate is not higher than the US and job security is better. I've provided the stats several times in several different threads on this subject.

1) The majority of the difference is covered by costs even using the official data. The crowdsourced comparison sites always show a bigger change (Official data tends to ignore the effects of shopping for the best deal) that almost totally covers the difference.

2) You have a training wage, we don't.

The official numbers are bad enough, I've run across a couple of crowdsourced calculators that always show even more difference--wiping out the increased minimum wage entirely rather than just taking a big bite out of it.
So you have no examples. Thank you.

So you have no examples. Thank you.

You're asking for specific examples of something that has to be viewed as a big picture. What are you actually asking for?

Here is what was said.

You are referring to the companies specified. Please cite examples of there companies and the prices they charge. This isn't big picture stuff. Cite an example of this.

1) The majority of the difference is covered by costs even using the official data. The crowdsourced comparison sites always show a bigger change (Official data tends to ignore the effects of shopping for the best deal) that almost totally covers the difference.

You need to provide the figures to support these claims.

Here's the comparison between the cost of living in Australia and the US I gave in another thread.

Info
Consumer Prices in United States are 32.20% lower than in Australia
Consumer Prices Including Rent in United States are 34.39% lower than in Australia
Rent Prices in United States are 38.79% lower than in Australia
Restaurant Prices in United States are 34.02% lower than in Australia
Groceries Prices in United States are 24.77% lower than in Australia
Local Purchasing Power in United States is 25.55% higher than in Australia

As Australia has a MW that is roughly double that of the US, MW workers in Australia are still significantly better off than their US counterparts. Nor does this difference in MW pay scale appear to effect our employment rate, which is lower than the US.

2) You have a training wage, we don't.

For some industries and some lines of work, but not all. Even so, training wages are only for a set period and the employees knows that they'll get a higher rate at the end of their training. This is not like being stuck on the same low minimum rate regardless of increased skill level and efficiency.

Here is what was said.

You are referring to the companies specified. Please cite examples of there companies and the prices they charge. This isn't big picture stuff. Cite an example of this.

I'm not over there. Look up purchasing power parity!

I have heard many software purchasers in Europe griping about the prices being the same there as here--but their prices are in Euros.

Back
Top Bottom