• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Got laid off due to corona - feel like suing

You're not understanding how debt recovery works.

The demand for debt collection will go up but that doesn't mean the amount collected will go up.

Yes, it absolutely does. You clearly don’t understand the business model. There are always a certain percentage of deadbeats just out to game the system. Then there are a majority of people who are honest and want to pay off what they owe, but due to certain circumstances beyond their control, cannot and therefore need to arrange repayment schedules. Then there is a certain percentage that will simply have to declare bankruptcy, but that’s generally as a last resort, not a first.

In this crisis, we will see a huge increase in all three categories, which leaves the majority in the camp of benefiting the company.

You're not understanding how debt recovery works.

The demand for debt collection will go up but that doesn't mean the amount collected will go up.

Yes, it absolutely does. You clearly don’t understand the business model. There are always a certain percentage of deadbeats just out to game the system. Then there are a majority of people who are honest and want to pay off what they owe, but due to certain circumstances beyond their control, cannot and therefore need to arrange repayment schedules. Then there is a certain percentage that will simply have to declare bankruptcy, but that’s generally as a last resort, not a first.

In this crisis, we will see a huge increase in all three categories, which leaves the majority in the camp of benefiting the company.

The problem is there are a lot of people who simply won't have the money to pay the bill. Expect to see a flood of bankruptcy filings.

The problem is there are a lot of people who simply won't have the money to pay the bill. Expect to see a flood of bankruptcy filings.

Yeah, I already noted that and then pointed out that at the same time, there will be a majority that can and/or will attempt to pay as much of their bills as possible to avoid bankruptcy, which, once again, will only profit the company.

I'm actually interviewing with a fintech company that is in debt collection. They seem to be booming, although, I wouldn't expect them to say anything to the contrary.

My meager experience in labor law comes from dealing with unemployment insurance compensation disputes. The only time I have seen a viable lawsuit over a lost job was when the employee was protected by a Federal State law against age discrimination, or something similar. This is very difficult to prove and only an idiot employer would fall into that kind of trap.

A lot more lawsuits are filed over the employer lying about the dismissal reasons. Employee turnover effects the payroll tax rate, so a lot of employers try to deny unemployment benefits, thinking it will save money. It never does. In Louisiana, which is a "at will" state, there are really only two reasons unemployment benefits can be denied and these are absenteeism and insubordination.

Basically, anyone who shows up for work and does what they're told, is eligible for unemployment benefits. Incompetence, theft, etc, don't count. Incompetent thieves can be fired, but they still get their check.

My meager experience in labor law comes from dealing with unemployment insurance compensation disputes. The only time I have seen a viable lawsuit over a lost job was when the employee was protected by a Federal State law against age discrimination, or something similar. This is very difficult to prove and only an idiot employer would fall into that kind of trap.

A lot more lawsuits are filed over the employer lying about the dismissal reasons. Employee turnover effects the payroll tax rate, so a lot of employers try to deny unemployment benefits, thinking it will save money. It never does. In Louisiana, which is a "at will" state, there are really only two reasons unemployment benefits can be denied and these are absenteeism and insubordination.

Basically, anyone who shows up for work and does what they're told, is eligible for unemployment benefits. Incompetence, theft, etc, don't count. Incompetent thieves can be fired, but they still get their check.
As I recall living in Georgia many years ago, collecting unemployment while also making money under the table results in the person being unable to ever collect unemployment benefits again - if caught, of course. Probably true in most states.

Was this individual or mass layoff? If it was a mass layoff above some percent threshold and the company has so many people, there could be a violation of labor laws in not giving proper notice. Google "WARN Act."

Under some of these situations, they must give 60 days notice. If not, you could probably sue for 60 days pay.

Before going there, check WARN Act.

Back
Top Bottom