• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Gov. Hochul going the way of Newsom

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
She also wants to examine the policy of free money for blacks (aka reparations). It was idiotic when Newsom did it in California (and even more idiotic when SF did it demanding $5M per black person!) so I cannot fathom why she would do this. And I can fathom even less why she is partnering with a known black supremacist Al Sharpton.

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul signs controversial legislation to create slavery reparations commission

In other Hochul news, she commuted the sentence of a robber and murderer.
NY governor commutes sentence of rapper G. Dep who turned self in for killing
This is an article about the case before Hochul decided to commute the murderer's sentence:
Murder victim’s family furious after Bragg prosecutor bids to free killer
NY Post said:
Coleman was an up-and-coming rap star who signed with Sean “Diddy” Combs’ Bad Boy label in 1999 before moving to Famous Records. He had also racked up more than 25 arrests for drugs, burglary and grand larceny.
He told cops he was riding a bike when he rolled up on Henkel at Park Avenue and East 114th Street to announce a robbery. After Henkel resisted, Colemen said he pulled out a .40-caliber gun and shot his victim three times in the chest. Coleman said he tossed the weapon into the East River.
It also goes into Bragg's mismanagement of the Manhattan DA's office in general.
“Only in the Bizzaro World do you see an ADA ‘resign’ to take a payout, be rehired, and then work on freeing a convicted killer he helped put behind bars,” barked Councilman Robert Holden (D-Queens). “Not a day goes by without an ethics violation or a case of prosecutorial negligence by the Manhattan DA’s Office. But this is what we’ve come to expect with DA Alvin Bragg, who continues to mock the city’s justice system.”
Since taking office Jan. 1, Bragg has downgraded more than half his office’s felony cases to misdemeanors — while also managing to lose half of the felony cases that do reach court, a sharp decline in the DA’s office performance compared to previous years under Vance.
But it's ok - the thug is black, and his victim white, so it's a politically correct crime. Imagine the outcry if she had commuted the sentence of a white guy who robbed and murdered somebody black ...
Andrew Cuomo, for all his faults, was still a better governor than Hochul. Hell, even somebody like Carlos Danger would have done a better job than Her Accidency.

More claptrap from the rightwing propaganda machine. San Francisco did not "demand" $5 million dollars for every black citizen, although there were over 100 proposals submitted in their study, one of which mentioned this boneheaded idea, as possible responses to past government actions used to promote racial discrimination. It is perfectly reasonable for a state to set up commissions to study such problems and make proposals for legislative action, and it is to be expected that some proposals will be stupid and impractical. These commissions are unlikely to come up with much that will get through the legislative process, but the point is to use racial demagoguery as counterweights to issues where rightwing propagandists are failing to attract public support--criminalization of abortion, opposition to gun control, special privileges and tax loopholes for the wealthy, attacks on voting rights, partisan gerrymandering, etc. The threat of "reparations" has replaced "welfare queens" and school desegregation as the issue most likely to scare white voters into voting for Republicans.

Apparently, all Hochul did was make it easier for Coleman to petition for parole a little earlier, given his record as a model prisoner for 13 years. He committed his crime as a teenager and ultimately turned himself in and confessed to his crime because of the remorse he felt. The point of commutation is to present other prisoners with some incentive to copy his behavior as a prisoner. Nevertheless, it makes her look bad if all we talk about is the evil that Coleman did as a drug-addled up teenager and take no notice of how he has changed while in prison.

More claptrap from the rightwing propaganda machine.
Just because I do not agree with left wing nutjobbery does not make me a right winger.
San Francisco did not "demand" $5 million dollars for every black citizen, although there were over 100 proposals submitted in their study, one of which mentioned this boneheaded idea, as possible responses to past government actions used to promote racial discrimination.
The proposals came from a self-serving task force city supervisors of SF appointed. At least you agree that $5M is boneheaded, but other ideas, like $1 houses for black people are too. That's what you get with these task forces. The California commission appointed by Gov. Goodhair also demanded ridiculously high payments.
Behind the math: How California got to $1.2 million for reparation payouts

Does Hochul really expects a less boneheaded outcome of NY task force? Esp. when such racists as Al Sharpton are involved?

It is perfectly reasonable for a state to set up commissions to study such problems and make proposals for legislative action, and it is to be expected that some proposals will be stupid and impractical.
No, it is not. Racial reparations are an entirely idiotic idea.
These commissions are unlikely to come up with much that will get through the legislative process, but the point is to use racial demagoguery as counterweights to issues where rightwing propagandists are failing to attract public support
Talk of reparations is racial demagoguery indeed. But that is not a point in favor of these commissions.
--criminalization of abortion, opposition to gun control, special privileges and tax loopholes for the wealthy, attacks on voting rights, partisan gerrymandering, etc.
What does any of this have to do with racial reparations? Instead of engaging in this "racial demagoguery" Albany would have been better advised in tackling some of the myriad problems the Empire State has. Like the botched bail "reform" that allowed criminals to commit same crime over and over again without a court being able to remand them to custody.
The threat of "reparations" has replaced "welfare queens" and school desegregation as the issue most likely to scare white voters into voting for Republicans.
Then why do Democrats insist on pushing those policies? This is why a viable opposition is needed. Neither NY nor CA has meaningful opposition statewide. And thus the ruling party engages in idiocies like this.
Apparently, all Hochul did was make it easier for Coleman to petition for parole a little earlier, given his record as a model prisoner for 13 years.
I think 13 years for robbery and murder is entirely inadequate punishment. You leftists think accidentally killing a robber and forger warrants 25 years but deliberately robbing somebody and murdering him warrants only half.
He committed his crime as a teenager
Barely. He was 19. It's not like he was a 13 year old.
and ultimately turned himself in and confessed to his crime because of the remorse he felt. The point of commutation is to present other prisoners with some incentive to copy his behavior as a prisoner. Nevertheless, it makes her look bad if all we talk about is the evil that Coleman did as a drug-addled up teenager and take no notice of how he has changed while in prison.
Good behavior does not erase murder.
And let's not pretend that Hochul would be as eager to .commute the sentence of a white prisoner who robbed and murdered somebody black. That is not politically correct. Not woke.

Just because I do not agree with left wing nutjobbery does not make me a right winger.

No, it's the agreement with right wing nutjobbery that does that. That and the fact that you are an obsessive culture warrior for right wing hot button issues and almost never do hit pieces on right wing politicians.

Talk of reparations is racial demagoguery indeed. But that is not a point in favor of these commissions.
So is your assertion that Hochul released the guy early based on race. That she wouldn't have done it were he white.
Tom

So is your assertion that Hochul released the guy early based on race. That she wouldn't have done it were he white.
Tom
Which is as much as an example of racial demagoguery as reparations are.
Betcha Derec doesn't want to have a concrete, quantitative conversation about race and parole decisions. As will not surprise anyone who understands the racial politics of the US, Black skin is not an advantage in the penitentiary system as it actually, measurably exists.

Betcha Derec doesn't want to have a concrete, quantitative conversation about race and parole decisions.
If we could have some good quantitative data, by all means. What you offered below is not that.

As will not surprise anyone who understands the racial politics of the US, Black skin is not an advantage in the penitentiary system as it actually, measurably exists.

Highlighted text from your link:
American Bar Association said:
In 2018, African Americans were 2.6 times more likely to be on probation and 4 times more likely to be on parole, as compared to Caucasians, as reported by Michael Gelb. Michael Gelb, Racial Disparities Still Mar Probation, Parole Despite 14% Decline: Report, The Crime Rep. (Aug. 13, 2020).
You are yet again committing the disparity fallacy. Just because blacks are more likely to be incarcerated (or as this quote states) on parole or probation does not mean they are disadvantaged. You have to compare outcomes of similar crimes (like murder in furtherance of a robbery like the rapper from the OP) not just compare population frequencies.
As long as blacks commit more crimes (>5x as many murders for example) as whites, they will have proportionally higher incarceration rates even when treated the same as whites on an individual basis.
What the left wants is equality of outcomes regardless of behavior. And the only way to achieve that is to advantage blacks.
I do think blacks have certain advantages in a city with a left-wing DA (Alvin Bragg) and a left-wing governor. I also do not think Hochul would have commuted the sentences of a murderer if the races were reversed, since that would not be politically correct.

I think race definitely played a role. Just like it played a role in Minnesota releasing Myon Burell (who murdered a 11 year old girl while shooting at a member of a gang rival).
I do not think Hochul would have commuted the sentence of a white robber cum murderer under similar circumstances.
BS. Or should I say dogshit?

I think race definitely played a role. Just like it played a role in Minnesota releasing Myon Burell (who murdered a 11 year old girl while shooting at a member of a gang rival).
I do not think Hochul would have commuted the sentence of a white robber cum murderer under similar circumstances.
BS. Or should I say dogshit?
I agree. Given your response to TomC. , it was much more an example of racial demagoguery.

No, it's the agreement with right wing nutjobbery that does that.
What "right wing nutjobbery" am I in agreement with? Opposition to left wing nutjobbery is not right wing. Just like my opposition to right wing nutjobbery (e.g. banning all or most abortions) is left wing.

That and the fact that you are an obsessive culture warrior for right wing hot button issues and almost never do hit pieces on right wing politicians.
Not much point of that given that most posters on here disagree with those politicians and a thread is already up and active by the time I even learn about the issue.

And why should we think these reparations committees are anything more than pretending to do something to reduce criticism? The idea is obviously nuts.

And why should we think these reparations committees are anything more than pretending to do something to reduce criticism? The idea is obviously nuts.
I don't think it's nuts, but it is theater. Either nothing will come of it, or what does come of it will be so small in scope as to be almost more offensive than doing nothing. "Sorry we unfairly evicted your family on the basis of your skin color when you were eight years old, here's $250.13 and a Starbucks gift card to make you feel better. Just think of it as one small step on the Road to Justice."

I agree that the reparations issue is largely one of theater, and it actually exacerbates racial and ethnic tensions by creating the impression that people are entitled to privileges and unequal treatment on the basis of their social classification rather than their individual needs. That's why reparations are talked about more frequently on Fox News than MSNBC. (It's right up there with the "defund the police" slogan.) In an election, issues surrounding race are usually going to favor the ethnic majority, so policies that sound unfair to that majority become great issues to campaign on. There is nothing wrong with having a commission to address racial and ethnic inequality, because diversity is a core value in American politics. But putting the name of a half-baked solution--"reparations"--on such a committee is a virtual guarantee for its failure and a gift to politicians that can define what it will look and smell like when it comes out of the oven.

Poverty, homelessness, drug addiction, crime, lack of education, etc., hit racial and ethnic minorities harder than those born into the majority class, but they are problems that can be addressed more effectively on the basis of actual individual need rather than social identity.

I don't think it's nuts, but it is theater. Either nothing will come of it, or what does come of it will be so small in scope as to be almost more offensive than doing nothing. "Sorry we unfairly evicted your family on the basis of your skin color when you were eight years old, here's $250.13 and a Starbucks gift card to make you feel better. Just think of it as one small step on the Road to Justice."
Yeah--pretending to do something, aka theater.

Back
Top Bottom