• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Guatemala seconds the motion: moving its embassy to Jerusalem

humbleman

Basic Beliefs
Humanism
Guatemala, one of the countries supporting our beloved president Donald Trump's decision of moving the US Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, has announced that Guatemala will also proceed to install its Embassy in the capital of Israel: Jerusalem.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/guatemala-says-it-is-moving-embassy-in-israel-to-jerusalem/

Guatemala says it is moving embassy in Israel to Jerusalem

In Facebook post, President Jimmy Morales praises 'excellent relations that we have had as nations,' says he has directed his government to begin planning move.

-%D7%A8%D7%90%D7%A9-%D7%94%D7%9E%D7%9E%D7%A9%D7%9C%D7%94-%D7%91%D7%A0%D7%99%D7%9E%D7%99%D7%9F-%D7%A0%D7%AA%D7%A0%D7%99%D7%94%D7%95-%D7%91%D7%A4%D7%92%D7%99%D7%A9%D7%AA-%D7%A2%D7%91%D7%95%D7%93%D7%94-%D7%A2%D7%9D-%D7%A0%D7%A9%D7%99%D7%90-%D7%92%D7%95%D7%90%D7%98%D7%9E%D7%9C%D7%94-Jimmy-Morales-%D7%91%D7%9E%D7%A9%D7%A8%D7%93-%D7%A8%D7%94%D7%9E-%D7%A6%D7%99%D7%9C%D7%95%D7%9D-%D7%97%D7%99%D7%99%D7%9D-%D7%A6%D7%97-%D7%9C%D7%A2%D7%9E-30.11.16-e1480426084624.jpg

Guatemala was one of nine nations that voted last week with the United States when the UN General Assembly overwhelmingly adopted a non-binding resolution denouncing US President Donald Trump’s recognition of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital.

I hope Guatemala at least got a good deal out of it.

I don't know what Guatemala might be getting out of that.

It's not like China, where Communist China and Taiwan both claim to be the rulers of all of China -- and which compete for recognition by other nations:  One-China policy
PRC government policy mandates that any country that wishes to establish diplomatic relationship with the PRC must first discontinue any formal relationship with the ROC. According to The Fletcher Forum of World Affairs, "non-recognition of the Taiwanese government is a prerequisite for conducting formal diplomatic relations with the PRC —in effect forcing other governments to choose between Beijing and Taipei."[29][30] In order to compete for other countries' recognition, each Chinese government has given money to a certain few small countries. Both the PRC and ROC governments have accused each other of monetary diplomacy. Several small African and Caribbean countries have established and discontinued diplomatic relationships with both sides several times in exchange for huge financial support from each side.[31]

Aid from Israel? I doubt it, since Israel is so dependent on the US for aid. Israel also has about half Taiwan's GDP, so such aid will be more difficult to afford than for Taiwan -- or for Communist China.

Well, US can pay money.

I find it interesting that Canada, Australia and bunch of others abstained, But Most of EU including UK said Yes to condemning US/Israel.

I don't know what Guatemala might be getting out of that.

It's not like China, where Communist China and Taiwan both claim to be the rulers of all of China -- and which compete for recognition by other nations:  One-China policy
PRC government policy mandates that any country that wishes to establish diplomatic relationship with the PRC must first discontinue any formal relationship with the ROC. According to The Fletcher Forum of World Affairs, "non-recognition of the Taiwanese government is a prerequisite for conducting formal diplomatic relations with the PRC —in effect forcing other governments to choose between Beijing and Taipei."[29][30] In order to compete for other countries' recognition, each Chinese government has given money to a certain few small countries. Both the PRC and ROC governments have accused each other of monetary diplomacy. Several small African and Caribbean countries have established and discontinued diplomatic relationships with both sides several times in exchange for huge financial support from each side.[31]

Aid from Israel? I doubt it, since Israel is so dependent on the US for aid. Israel also has about half Taiwan's GDP, so such aid will be more difficult to afford than for Taiwan -- or for Communist China.

China bullies countries into rejecting Taiwan. I assume that Israel or the US at least bribes other countries for their support.

Guatemala has been a US puppet for decades.

Invaded over and over.

Elections overturned.

This means absolutely nothing except the US ordered it.

Guatemala has a weird, close relationship with Israel. It was one of the first countries to recognize Israel, and at least according to local lore, it was instrumental in lobbying the rest of Latin American countries to vote for the 1947 UN resolution. I don't know how exactly that is true, but it is a truism that is repeated everywhere in Guatemala.

Indeed, I found this interesting article from a year ago:

https://www.jta.org/2016/11/30/news...-pivotal-role-in-creation-of-the-jewish-state
Knesset President Yuli Edelstein said the ties between Israel and Guatemala “are deep and historic.”

“Before Israel’s establishment, on the eve of the U.N. decision on November 29 [in 1947], we still remember and appreciate the actions of Guatemala’s ambassador to the U.N., Dr. Jorge Garcia Granados, who enlisted Latin American states to vote in favor of the partition plan,” Edelstein said Tuesday.

“It could be that without Guatemala, the resolution on that fateful day would not have passed, and history would be very different.”

- - - Updated - - -

Guatemala has been a US puppet for decades.

Invaded over and over.

Elections overturned.

This means absolutely nothing except the US ordered it.

:rolleyes:

I suppose when the only tool you have is a hammer, all the world's problems look like a nail.

I suppose when the only tool you have is a hammer, all the world's problems look like a nail.

Are you saying the US has not invaded Guatemala over and over for the past 100 years?

Are you saying elections have not been overturned?

Leaders in Guatemala do as they told by the US on many matters.

Your naivety is not an argument.

Are you saying the US has not invaded Guatemala over and over for the past 100 years?

So true! As the lefties on this forum have taught us, Brown people lack independent agency to make their own decisions. Right on, unter!

So true! As the lefties on this forum have taught us, Brown people lack independent agency to make their own decisions. Right on, unter!

Nobody said anything about "brown people".

Only racists think about things like that.

I am talking about the government of Guatemala. Highly educated people.

That know what is best for them.

You just agreed to something racist that you made up. No one is surprised.

Israel and Palestine both have a right to exist. If the parties were rational enough they could share Jerusalem.

Yeah, but the Palestinians religiously cleanse any land they get their hands on.

Palestine areas do have Christians and some who may be descendants from Jews..

They can compromise. Let the Palestinians have Jerusalem, and the Jews can retain New. :)

You just agreed to something racist that you made up. No one is surprised.

Yeah, those racists who treat non-white people as helpless children needing woke white protectors.

One of the most ignorant and prejudiced and religiously fundamentalist nations is also the most powerful nation.

What smaller nations in the South do to prevent the ignorant giant to the North, that has invaded and interfered for decade after decade, from bothering them should not be seen as a free decision.

Israel and Palestine both have a right to exist. If the parties were rational enough they could share Jerusalem.

Yeah, but the Palestinians religiously cleanse any land they get their hands on.

See? With so much in common, both sides should have no problem sharing.

How many Jews live in Gaza/West Bank? Probably zero.
How many Muslims live in Israel? About 1.6 million.

- - - Updated - - -

Palestine areas do have Christians and some who may be descendants from Jews..

I didn't say they cleansed the areas of all other religions. It's still religious cleansing even if only one religion is removed.

- - - Updated - - -

One of the most ignorant and prejudiced and religiously fundamentalist nations is also the most powerful nation.

Saudi Arabia seems like the #1 candidate for this description.

I don't want to try to pick #2 from Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan.

- - - Updated - - -

See? With so much in common, both sides should have no problem sharing.

It worked in Northern Ireland

Once Moscow was out of the terrorism business there wasn't anybody pouring big bucks into perpetuating the conflict.

Saudi Arabia seems like the #1 candidate for this description.

I don't want to try to pick #2 from Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan.

I agree. The US is just like those places.

A Christian fundamentalist shithole. No nation could prove itself more ignorant or dangerous than by electing the man-boy Trump.

Back
Top Bottom