• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Guns in Canada

Jolly_Penguin

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Skeptic
This is a pretty well done little mini-documentary:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9El7gEvJWU[/youtube]

I think the may be right that the reason we have so much fewer gun deaths in Canada (and the rest of the western world) than the USA is because they are so much harder to get and there are so much stricter background checks. Yet we CAN get them if you really really want one here. I've personally never seen a gun in Canada except for on the hip of a police officer. In the Philippines they are everywhere and I find it unsettling. Mall guards carry shotguns there. I like what she said at the end of the piece, that she went to the US and they asked her "don't you want a gun to protect yourself"and her immediate reponse was no, it would make her feel less safe, not more safe. Me too.

Canada like Australia make it hard but not impossible to own a gun.
That certainly is most helpful in reducing shooting incidents.
However there is a cultural issue too.
Canadians don't seem to hate each other the way the Yanks do.
I am constantly saddened by the propensity of Americans to shoot first and not ask questions later.

It comes down to what everything seems to come down to in the US these days, to fantasy versus reality. Of course, more people owning and carrying guns will result in more shootings and more people killed as a direct result. This is the reality of the situation.

But there exists a countervailing fantasy that more good guys with guns will reduce gun violence, especially mass shootings. This is what began as a series of gun fantasies; guns to offer protection against home invasions, guns to counter a rogue government, guns to guarantee liberty, guns to make a man of you, guns to protect you from the drug addicts, guns to protect us from those commies, the red dawn delusion, guns to protect whites from the unspeakable actions of non-whites and various immigrant populations, guns to protect us during the end of times until Jesus Christ himself returns, guns to protect us from slave uprisings, etc. Go on Youtube and search for "what should I pack into my go-bag?" to see the latest fantasy to justify carrying a gun with you all of the time.

I am constantly saddened by the propensity of Americans to shoot first and not ask questions later.

^^^^^^^^^
THAT.

The answer to too many guns is not more guns.

Demographics. But you're not supposed to notice that.

So the more people in a country the more they will hate each other?

So the more people in a country the more they will hate each other?

No, what he is implying is black people and muslims cause violence, not socio-economic trends.

But isn't that because they have guns? If I'm in a discussion with somebody who I think might have a gun and I'm worried it might turn ugly I have an incentive to shoot first. If guns are off the table I'm much more likely never to get physical. It's also easier to initiate a punch and then afterwards de-escalate and end it with a swollen lip as a result. If you have a gun and you've drawn it what are the chances of that calming down? Any minor twitch from anybody will easily be interpreted as an attack leading to a death. So people become hyper sensitive.

Don’t think for a second that we don’t have right wing nut jobs, or we don’t have culture tensions up here, we just don’t all carry firearms.

It really is a case of when all you have is a hammer, every problem is a nail.

Toronto has a record number of murders this year, due mainly to an large scale gang war and fueled by a flood of illegal guns being smuggled in from some shithole country we have to live next to. It's not like there's some kind of fundamental difference between us and Americans, it's just that we lack the tools to be able to escalate potential situations as easily and to the extent that they do. When we get the tools, we use them about the same, though.

Toronto has a record number of murders this year, due mainly to an large scale gang war and fueled by a flood of illegal guns being smuggled in from some shithole country we have to live next to. It's not like there's some kind of fundamental difference between us and Americans, it's just that we lack the tools to be able to escalate potential situations as easily and to the extent that they do. When we get the tools, we use them about the same, though.

There's always someplace to smuggle them in from.

Back
Top Bottom