• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Half of English No Longer Christian

So if I understand you correctly you are not suggesting that a god exists, only that something exists that could be described as maximally great. In theory this will be true for any condition in which the nebulous term "great" is rigorously defined and quantifiable.

Otherwise it's meaningless babble. We're down to beauty-contest rules.

As I said earlier, I personally would find it hard to believe that there are no higher/greater beings anywhere in the universe/multiverse apart from terrestrial human life.

But one could, in theory, argue that the maximally greatest being they can conceive is a human.

abaddon was suggesting that there really isn't any category difference between bacteria and human. That would be a defeater of the ontological argument if accepted as true.

And until you have defined "greatest" abaddon has a valid point. You still haven't definied "higher" or "greater" so one would be every bit is correct to say that Mohammad Ali is the greatest conceivable being as to argue that some theoretical space alien is. Until you take a stand your argument is the discussion equivalent of a stunt extra in a grade B Kung-Fu movie dancing around menacingly but never actually going to bust a move.

AFAICT abaddon was also using a definition of greatness - one which defines humans and bacteria as equally great.

...one would be every bit is correct to say that Mohammad Ali is the greatest conceivable being.

Does Mohammed Ali exist?
To say that he IS the greatest would necessarily imply that he "is" (that he does exist.)

You still haven't definied "higher" or "greater" ...

Omnipotent.

There ya go. Asked/Answered.
Great.
Now, do you have any evidence that any being fits that description?

Also, if 'greater' is defined as 'omnipotent,' then there's no category difference between man and bacteria, is there?

AFAICT abaddon was also using a definition of greatness - one which defines humans and bacteria as equally great.

It was joedad who’d denied a distinction of “greatness” between human and bacteria.

I took a lead from his point and expanded a bit. My own stance is greatness is subjective, as I think joedad was saying, but wanted to emphasize it's ephemeral too. The ephemeral aspect is important to me because I know how theists contrast what they think is eternal against the temporal and ephemeral world, assigning “greatness” to what's eternal (like "souls") and declaring what changes (all reality) to be illusory.

So I had denied anything’s eternal or has an essence. Anything that seems to humans to reach a top-tier, like an apex predator for example, is eaten by decomposers. That's an example of how all nature is cyclical, there is nothing known that just exists as itself without cycling into another process (this applies celestially as well as on earth). So no “maximally great” except as a judgment by some humans and no “being” either. Everything cycles so there’s no “being” to describe, except it's temporary and in one’s own estimation, as “great”.

Another way to say the same is "no soul".

There's no need to argue another great being other than God when the very notion of "being" is doubtful.

But yeah, a definition of greatness would help a lot. So would establishing that there are any lasting “things” too.

Last edited:
Okay, so Lion IRC has taken the bait and defined "greatest" as "omnipotent."

Now if we can just get a clarification of omnipotent we'll be good to go. Can an omnipotent being make a rock so big he can't move it?

No, he defined 'greatER' as 'omnipotence.
Kind of a binary quality, really.

So man, bacteria, Venus Fly Traps, Canadians, and vintage clothing seamstresses are all equally NOT greater than each other.
And God, Allah, Vishnu, any other omnipotent being are equally great, but cannot be greater than each other.

Even if you presumed, or believed in, the non-existence of the One True God, the ontological argument can still be used to argue that a (lesser) being was in fact the best alternative contender for MGB.

You could argue that humans are the MGB's but that's just repositioning the ontological framework such that now you will still have good/better/best categories of terrestrial beings rather than considering ALL possible beings.
Then you're not really talking about a maximally great being. You're talking instead about a maximally great idea because a being is something real, something substantial that we can quantify. An idea is also real but it does not exist outside your brain and its only proof of existence is an act of communication between you and another being of substance. You may as well call it a maximally great communication.

Your maximally great being seems to be the cosmos.

You still haven't definied "higher" or "greater" ...

Omnipotent.

There ya go. Asked/Answered.
That doesn't help me. Maybe I've missed something in the conversation but you've said a being within the universe/multiverse. Lets just call that the cosmos. How would any being residing within such a framework be omnipotent without that constituting a contradiction? I could be a very powerful earthling but how would I ever be omnipotent even within the confines of the earth?

Is this why supernature is so popular? By omnipotent is that what you mean - supernatural?

Now if we can just get a clarification of omnipotent we'll be good to go. Can an omnipotent being make a rock so big he can't move it?

I guess a bit of clarification (or obfuscation, depending on how you look at it) is in order.

By simply declaring "omnipotent" as the definition of "greatest", I believe Lion IRC has completely abandoned the tenor of the conversation up to that point. As but one example, consider the following:

So if I understand you correctly you are not suggesting that a god exists, only that something exists that could be described as maximally great. In theory this will be true for any condition in which the nebulous term "great" is rigorously defined and quantifiable.

Otherwise it's meaningless babble. We're down to beauty-contest rules.

As I said earlier, I personally would find it hard to believe that there are no higher/greater beings anywhere in the universe/multiverse apart from terrestrial human life.

But one could, in theory, argue that the maximally greatest being they can conceive is a human.

abaddon was suggesting that there really isn't any category difference between bacteria and human. That would be a defeater of the ontological argument if accepted as true.

This is what I would call a gratuitous case of goalpost shifting. We are presented with the proposition that perhaps somewhere in the universe is a life form that is "greater" than us. When pressed to define what "greater" meant Lion IRC immediately jumps to "omnipotent."

The problem is that accepting the possibility that life forms more advanced than humans may exist in the universe somewhere is not even in the same ballpark as accepting the possibility that somewhere is a life form which can be described as "omnipotent." Again, what does that mean? Does it simply mean the most powerful thing in the universe? If so a supermassive black hole would be the maximally greatest being. Or maybe a pulsar, depending once again on whether one's is more interested in displays of kinetic energy or acquisition of potential energy.

If you say, "No, silly, I'm talking about things that are alive" then you're stuck with defining what it means to be alive. Every life form we recognize today as being in that condition shares the characteristics of consumption of depletable resources, processing of said resources, excretion of waste matter from aforementioned processing, and the ability to reproduce. It is theoretically possible that life forms exist that do not share all of those attributes, but having never encountered any such life forms the rational thing to do is avoid making any life-decisions based on their existence until such time as they can be demonstrated to exist. Until such time rational people file such things under the category of fiction/fantasy.

That's not even counting the problem of the fact that the term "omnipotent" is self-contradictory. Can an omnipotent individual ever overcome a challenge? Can an omnipotent individual ever enjoy the gratification of acquiring a skill it didn't have before? There is an infinite number of potential activities that are contingent upon overcoming one's limitations, yet an omnipotent individual could do none of these things, meaning that it is not truly omnipotent.

As if that weren't bad enough you then get into the wrinkle of "omniscience." Surely a powerful individual who is knowledgeable about a great many things is more powerful than an equally powerful individual who is a complete idiot. Therefore from a purely philosophical standpoint an individual would also have to be omniscient in order to be omnipotent. And an omniscient individual who knows the future is more knowledgeable than one who does not, so one would not be truly omniscient unless one knew the future. And of course one who knew its own future would be more knowledgeable than one who did not, so once again we're into a conundrum. Because if an individual knows its own future it is completely powerless to make a decision. After all it already knows everything it will ever do, rendering it arguably the most helpless creature in existence. Even a fly trapped in amber doesn't know but what it might escape. But this pitiful creature is forever trapped in the amber of its foreknowledge, doomed to follow only the one fate in store for it without ever being able to shake things up. Truly a sad situation to be in.

If such a creature existed I'd possibly shed a tear in empathy for its sad plight. But for the time being I'm going to hold off because I'm fairly certain there is no creature anywhere consigned to this horrible existence.

No it's not.
OK, I'll bite. What, in a single sentence, is Christianity about, then"
...Does this mean people are outgrowing this debilitating garbage?

No, I think it means people are becoming short-sighted and self-centred.

I think it means that people are becoming more educated and the god of the gaps has shrunken so small as to be unworthy of consideration. Additionally, exposure to a "global community" of historically radically different ideas and cultures has given people much broader perspective.
...I certainly hope so.

Why? Because group-think gives you comfort?
Pot, meet Kettle. Kettle, this is Pot. Think about what you just said here. Christianity is "group-think" on steroids... Religion in general does not tolerate individuality.
Trust me, you won't enjoy living in a world full of Friedrich Neitzsche's

Nor would anyone enjoy living in the European Dark Ages... but no one is suggesting anyone live in either.

I think you are going to find out something after you die.

Threats don't make things true.

You already understand this, so you should have known better than to use the above argument.

Allow me to demonstrate how you know that threats don't make things true. You must believe that the moon is made of green cheese, or else my friend Ted will torture you for three days. You don't want to be tortured for three days, do you? You'd better make up your mind right now, because Ted is coming soon, and then I think you are going to find out what Ted is like after you meet him.

There. Do you agree that I have proved that the moon is made of green cheese?

Well, don't say I didn't warn you. Ted is coming. The choice is up to you.

What about other threats?

Did the threat of burning in a lake of fire for all eternity convince you that Islam is true?

Did the threat of being reborn as a poor person or even an animal convince you that Hinduism or Buddhism is true?

Did the threat of missing out on the really good parties in Valhalla convince you that the Norse religion is true?

No?

If Ted didn't convince you that the moon is made of green cheese, and those other threats did not convince you that those other religions are true, then why did you expect that your threat would convince us that your religion is true? If you already know that the exact same arguments didn't work on you, why did you expect the same argument to work on us? Do you think you are that much smarter than us, or is it that you think we are that much dumber than you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_consequences
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_baculum

Back
Top Bottom