• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Has the First Amendment become a hindrance to democracy?

"It just has not been proved to a level of certainty that satisfies me,"

Still doesn't prove your case that it didn't happen.

And you don't seem to understand that it isn't necessary to prove a negative. There is no evidence that the claim made is true so no reason to believe it.

If someone accused you of being a Russian agent, it wouldn't be your responsibility to try to prove you aren't, it would be their responsibility to prove you were. Otherwise there would be no reason to believe the accusation.

And you don't seem to understand that it isn't necessary to prove a negative. There is no evidence that the claim made is true so no reason to believe it.

If someone accused you of being a Russian agent, it wouldn't be your responsibility to try to prove you aren't, it would be their responsibility to prove you were. Otherwise there would be no reason to believe the accusation.

And you are forgetting the other important element: if there is the possibility of guilt, even among a difficulty meeting the burden of evidence, the continuing possibility still obligated caution.

Sure, I can't send someone to jail when my things go missing in their wake, but I can and absolutely should reconsider inviting them over to my house.

Russia's language in response ("baseless" rather than "false") says a lot. Anyway, there are a lot of links, and murky connections enough that while there isn't certainty, there's more than enough doubt to throw some shade and publish the facts, Which don't look good for Russia.

And what evidence is there that it happened? Hitchen’s razor, here. With nothing connecting any US death to Russia payments to the Taliban, all that’s left is your steadfast inability to accept reality.

B-but it hasn't been proven to the satisfaction of Frank McKenzi, so it MUST be false!
That's the standard for trumptards.

Jarhyn said:
I believe what you are getting at is Argument from Incredulity is a Fallacy.

Conservo-response: "Yeah, so???"

EhfvTa6XcAoibil

Has the NYT ever issued a retraction or correction or update to its Russia bounties debacle? The NYT site is now pay-walled and I ain't paying for that shit.

Good grief.

U.S. commander: Intel still hasn't established Russia paid Taliban 'bounties' to kill U.S. troops

A U.S. military official familiar with the intelligence added that after a review of the intelligence around each attack against Americans going back several years, none have been tied to any Russian incentive payments.

Maybe this is why the NYT publishes anonymous, unverified, but salacious allegations; they know there’s an audience that’ll believe anything that fits their bias.

US government sources supporting His Flatulence's position aren't exactly credible.

US government sources supporting His Flatulence's position aren't exactly credible.

William Barr is the epitome of an impartial and unwavering servant of American interests.
That he conflates "American" with "Trump's" is just a minor philosophical detail; everyone has their little faults.

The OP raises the valid point that the context of social media has shifted the balance of the impact of people being free to lie, increasing the ratio of harm to good that this protected freedom results in.

But that thesis, which I think has merit, is separate from whether there is any viable solution that is even worse than this increasingly negative result of the freedom to lie.

The following is my own basis for supporting free speech, and seems consistent with sentiments of Jefferson and Enlightenment principles generally:
Coercion will tend to favor untruth because the truth can defend itself and can reach acceptance via the evidence that supports it reaching the minds of the masses, under the assumption that on the whole and in the long run the majority will come to accept what reason dictates. And even if the majority do not engage in reason, there are countless untruths competing with each other but only a single truth. Thus, on the whole the truth stands a better chance than any one untruth. Although on a particular topic or moment in time this may not be the case, on the whole, and especially regarding matters where what is true impacts each person's quality of life, the truth will tend to win out if all information and ideas are allowed to fairly compete for acceptance.

That said, I do agree with the OP quote that social media give misinformation an advantage. My take is that this occurs b/c it increases people's exposure to misinformation, often seriously harmful if not deadly, without negative consequence to the source of that misinformation. With traditional media, lies tend to be costly in the long run. They may garner immediate attention but they lower credibility of the source such that anyone interested in accurate information won't tune in. Only limited specialized outlets trying to corner the market on feeding irrational dogmatist what they want to hear (Fox News) can profit from a lies over credibility model. But social media is not "a source". It's a platform where largely anonymous sources spread information that just pops up in front of people when they aren't even looking for information. The original source is often layers deep and not known to the person who sees the information. People don't view FB as the actual source, so they don't get blamed and thus are not harmed by profiting from helping others to spread lies. Besides, FB serves so many functions for people besides an information source that they won't stop using it even if they recognize it as a bad source of political information, and while using it will inherently be exposed to such information.

However, I don't see any good solution to that problem that in any way involves changing how the 1st Amendment is understood or applied.

From my reading about newspapers from the past, unethical journalism seems to have been persistent throughout, at least, US journalism. There's always been muckrakers and propagandists. I think cable tv and internet in almost everyone's homes has just seemed to make it more prominent.

muckrakers often raked up real concealed muck

Back
Top Bottom