• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Haven't Felt Annoyed in a While?

Colonel Sanders

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Just in case you feel like getting your ire up over stupid things, and just to be reminded that the worst stereotypes we make fun of are in fact real and numerous, well...

http://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/j...h-even-science-may-eventually-catch-gods-word

This guy is like Crystal Pepsi, Flock of Seagulls, pet rocks, or whatever thing might strike you as nostalgic if you haven't read some of these gems in a while.

They say there are no atheists in the foxhole. Even fewer when death is certain. None once the final curtain falls. God’s Word declares, “The fool hath said in his heart ‘there is no God'” (Psalm 14).

Convinced to run to your nearest church yet?

Or:

In the case of the atheist, or the “freethinker,” as they paradoxically prefer, that which is unbelievable is that somehow everything came from nothing – that there is no uncaused first cause; that God does not exist, even as knowledge of His being is indelibly written on every human heart and proved by all He has made.

This is a dude who has obviously be unable to escape the peril of, "We don't have enough information to know precisely what happened 14 billion years ago yet, but we do know a lot."

Or:

These ... materialists acknowledge that, prior to the moment of singularity – the Big Bang – there was no “natural.” They admit that there was an unnatural time and place before natural time and space – that something, sometime, somewhere preceded the material universe. That which preceded the natural was, necessarily, “beyond the natural” and, therefore, was, is and forever shall be “supernatural.”

I have a cat who I refer to as a "dick" sometimes due to his dick-ish nature. However, my assigning the human quality of dick-ishness to him doesn't turn him a human no matter how much I contend that he's a dick. Here, by deciding to assign terms and words meanings they're not supposed to have = God--and the Christian god at that.

Or:

Yes, with time and chance, even science may eventually catch up to God’s Word.

The irony meter exploded and sent everyone running for cover when this statement was first made. Here's a man who probably owns a car, has likely flown on airplanes, has likely taken antibiotics for infection, has a phone that can tell him how to get from point A to point B when he's driving due to GPS technology, and is writing through a medium that would appear magical to the 14th century man, but is in fact a product of scientific innovation.

Human ingenuity: 6 (+a million other things)
God: 0

You can boil his sentiments down to "Science ain't shit compared to God."

But I'm alive without God and would be dead without science. Fact is, I should have died in infancy, but for modern medicine. My wife and oldest child would have died during labor, meaning I wouldn't have my other two kids were it not for modern medicine*. And I bet this dude, if he was honest, could share similar stories about people he knows. But fuck all that--God's Number 1!

*Yes, it has occurred to me that nature is trying to delete me from the gene pool.

Fred Hoyle is the atheist astronomer who coined the term “Big Bang.” He once confessed that his disbelief was “greatly shaken” by the undisputed science, writing that “a common-sense interpretation of the facts suggests that a super-intellect has monkeyed with the physics, as well as with chemistry and biology.”
What science is undisputed science?
That's a contradiction in terms.

If physics inevitably leads to the conclusion that god is real, then we would expect physicists to be statistically less likely to be atheist than other kinds of scientists. Instead, the opposite is true. Physicists are more likely to be atheist than most other kinds of scientist.

So either the majority of physicists are part of a vast international satanic conspiracy, or else theists who claim that physics proves god do not understand physics nearly as well as they think they do.

Between the two, I'm going to assume that the latter is more likely to be the case. :p

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, the more I read of that article, the dumber it gets.

Hardly annoyed. It is just lazy old school apologism that has been debunked a trillion times.

Back
Top Bottom