• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Help me remember something from the Reagan era.

NobleSavage

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I was in grade school when he first won. I was in 6th grade and the debates with Mondale are some of my first political memories. I don't know if I complete imagined this, but I thought someone was proposing (Reagan?) that we build a series of underground tunnels all across the United States where special trains could shuffle around nuclear weapons so the Communists would be able to target them. I though someone commend with, it would take more digging than than the Grand Canyon. Was this ever seriously proposed? I'm not finding much on Google.

I was in grade school when he first won. I was in 6th grade and the debates with Mondale are some of my first political memories. I don't know if I complete imagined this, but I thought someone was proposing (Reagan?) that we build a series of underground tunnels all across the United States where special trains could shuffle around nuclear weapons so the Communists would be able to target them. I though someone commend with, it would take more digging than than the Grand Canyon. Was this ever seriously proposed? I'm not finding much on Google.

We must not allow a mineshaft tunnel gap! ;)

Pretty sure that was the MX Missile system.

There were a number of proposals for the MX (later called Peacekeeper) ICBM deployment, using a variety of strategies to avoid the loss of US second strike capability. One proposal, called 'Racetrack' used a large number of lightly hardened sites, linked by a network of roads and railroads, with the idea being that the Soviets couldn't know where the missiles were at any given time, and would therefore have difficulty targeting them. The other major proposal was 'Dense Pack', where missiles would be stored in deep, very hardened silos close together; the idea being that a Soviet bomb powerful enough to destroy one silo would also destroy the incoming missiles aimed at its neighbours.

Racetrack was implemented by the Carter administration in '79, and cancelled by Reagan in '81; Dense Pack was never implemented, as it was found to be trivially easy to overcome by timing an attack so that the Soviet warheads all arrived within a very short time-frame.

The 'Rail Garrison' concept was a later proposal, and was planned to start in '92; It proposed using the rail network to move missiles around the country in a similar concept to Racetrack, but was cancelled when the Cold War ended in '91.

By the mid '80s, SLBM technology had pretty much rendered land based ICBMs obsolete; Submarines can move about undetected, and can launch from much closer to the target than ICBMs, so once 'third generation' SLBMs were developed that could carry a similar number and size of warhead to land-based missiles, and could be targeted with similar accuracy, they became the better option for both first and second strike capability.

Back
Top Bottom