• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Help Vets integrate back into society

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
What the actual fuck.

reconsniper.jpg

So the vets are having a hard time getting back into the swing of non-combat society. Have them compete for an AR15 and 1,000 rounds.

That'll fucking help, huh?

Jesus.

Yes, a lot of my fellow service members come back fucked up and need far more help than is readily available to them.

Yes, a lot of my fellow service members come back fucked up and need far more help than is readily available to them.

Yea, and vets miss out on 4 years in the work force. 4 years combat duty doesn't allow much job training.

Yea, and vets miss out on 4 years in the work force. 4 years combat duty doesn't allow much job training.

VETs who have been on the front lines or in a direct war situation coping with wartime emergencies are potentially more likely to be mentally agile and able to adapt at short notice to often difficult, confused, chaotic, uncertain and complex situations.

They also have the physical and mental ability to cope work time workloads and unforeseen emergencies. A few working together may make up a good team.

This may not work so well in a quiet boring job but such potential would fly over the heads HR recruiters who increasingly, rather than the decision makers select candidates based on their theoretical models.

They've also been stripped of the morality, socialization and religious values they were raised with, so as to be able to kill strangers and innocents when told to without moral compunction ("just following orders").
I don't think I want these wild animals; these moral reprobates, running loose in my society.

They've also been stripped of the morality, socialization and religious values they were raised with, so as to be able to kill strangers and innocents when told to without moral compunction ("just following orders").
I don't think I want these wild animals; these moral reprobates, running loose in my society.

War can be immoral but historically armies fought across the world often in the name of the same God or the gods. Have you actually met members of the armed forces and interacted with them.

So where should I go? Now that I utter lack these things, according to you?

You're good. Just avoid New Mexico :cheeky:

You're good. Just avoid New Mexico :cheeky:

Yeah, evidently.

Now I will leave the internet and go back to biting the heads of kittens while wearing only lime jello.

Did it ever occur to people that they might not want to generalize and have some actual experience before being sanctimonious, judgmental pricks? And, of course, if you belong to a group that has experienced that sort of prejudice, it sort of undermines any moral ground you might be standing on the next time it is done to you. (not referring to you, obviously)

I agree which is why I was at first drawn to this group whose mission seemed to be helping and then appalled that "helping" people who were having a hard time being non-military was in the form of promoting guns.

Vets need help.
(#1 in my opinion is never sending them on life-destroying missions over trivial corporate greed)
Once they become vets, we need to help them regain their footing. And it takes effort and caring.

NOT, it seems kind of obvious to me, things that put them right back into their combat mindset. Like AR-15s and 1,000 rounds of ammo.
Why not an electric skillet and 1,000 food ingredients?
Why not a job and 1,000 hours of training?
Why not a wheelchair and 1,000 hours of PT?

The main reason most people join the military is economic opportunity. Basically, we are a society that makes the rich richer while asking our poor and middle class young people to risk their lives in exchange for an education and a pay check. They are not responsible for the conflict and stupidity now rampant in our country.

Don't start demonizing soldiers. Demonize the rich cowards who funnel human beings through an inhumane control system so they can send them off to kill people in other countries.

Good points, Floof. In many areas the military is one of the only viable employment options., and I also criticize the "economic royalists" that use the military for their own benefit, to secure and maintain markets.
But I also believe in individual responsibility for our actions and moral decisions.

"What if they gave a war and nobody came?'

Good points, Floof. In many areas the military is one of the only viable employment options., and I also criticize the "economic royalists" that use the military for their own benefit, to secure and maintain markets.
But I also believe in individual responsibility for our actions and moral decisions.

"What if they gave a war and nobody came?'

And many of us, even after having bet put in some of the most immoral situations possible, where practically every decision is a terrible one, still wind up getting through it and being moral people. Despite you painting us all with a broad brush, and incorrectly so.

What about vets who were drafted? We have many homeless in the US from the Vietnam war. My immoral self works with the VA in my spare time trying to provide some help. What exactly do you, the paragon of all that is right and just and good do to help?

- - - Updated - - -

I agree which is why I was at first drawn to this group whose mission seemed to be helping and then appalled that "helping" people who were having a hard time being non-military was in the form of promoting guns.

Vets need help.
(#1 in my opinion is never sending them on life-destroying missions over trivial corporate greed)
Once they become vets, we need to help them regain their footing. And it takes effort and caring.

NOT, it seems kind of obvious to me, things that put them right back into their combat mindset. Like AR-15s and 1,000 rounds of ammo.

Because for some of us getting back into the combat mindset is the last thing we need. For others it works just fine. Really, like most problems, there is no group solution as individuals all react differently, and some, usually the kids who were led into taking positions in the military they were not ready for (and possibly never could be ready for) are the ones who suffer the most.

And thank you for caring.

The main reason most people join the military is economic opportunity. Basically, we are a society that makes the rich richer while asking our poor and middle class young people to risk their lives in exchange for an education and a pay check. They are not responsible for the conflict and stupidity now rampant in our country.

Don't start demonizing soldiers. Demonize the rich cowards who funnel human beings through an inhumane control system so they can send them off to kill people in other countries.
Well said.

Part of the problem is that we stereotype these former soldiers as either heroes or villains when in fact they are neither. They're just people like everyone else.

If you've got PTSD, you are weak. At least according to Donald Trump.

And yes, awarding someone with social and mental health issues an AR-15 and a thousand rounds of ammo seems on its face pretty stupid.

Vets need help.

Maybe I was reading it wrong, but I thought the AR-15 was the prize in a raffle to raise funds for the vets, not a competition between the vets.

I still think a gun as a prize in a raffle for a vet-related charity is kind-of fucked up, though.

Back
Top Bottom