• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Help with an old political cartoon

Potoooooooo

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
this is supposed to be Colonialism according to Germany, Britain, France and Belgium:Can someone explain the significance of each?
8m8x0OW.jpg

Germany, organizing both the dangerous croc and the herds. Not destroying things that are inconvenient, but making their colonies adequate accessories. Mini-me Germanys.

The Brits bring God to the heathens, then squeeze every single coin of profit out of them. Same as their colonization of America, it's always an investment, for Britain's benefit. Give them God, get their profits. It's called compromise.

France doesn't have a long-term plan for their colonies. But they'll dally with the natives as long as it's amusing to do so. More for fun than profit.

Belgium's out for strict profits for their benefit, not even pretending to bring anything to the natives. Pure consumerism.

Germany, organizing both the dangerous croc and the herds. Not destroying things that are inconvenient, but making their colonies adequate accessories. Mini-me Germanys.

The Brits bring God to the heathens, then squeeze every single coin of profit out of them. Same as their colonization of America, it's always an investment, for Britain's benefit. Give them God, get their profits. It's called compromise.

France doesn't have a long-term plan for their colonies. But they'll dally with the natives as long as it's amusing to do so. More for fun than profit.

Belgium's out for strict profits for their benefit, not even pretending to bring anything to the natives. Pure consumerism.
thank you for that:cool:

And the cartoons are very accurate metaphors for European colonialism in the 19th century. The strangest thing of all is the case of Belgium. The King of Belgium had been reduced to a nearly powerless figurehead constitutional monarch in Belgium, itself, but retained the power of an Emperor God in the Congo. He had an army at his command to subjugate the people and whatever wealth was squeezed out, it was all his.

Those goose-stepping giraffes are terrifying.

Are the germans trying to pretend there were no actual native people in their colonies?

It also says something on the crocodile's collar - but I can't make it out (even on the enlarged picture referenced in the post above). Anybody got any ideas what it says?

Could this be from a German Communist propaganda magazine? Pre-WWI? Or even during the War? Seems to dovetail with Lenin's views on Imperialism as the final stage of Capitalism.

I would like to know more about where this came from. Very interesting post!

SLD

Back
Top Bottom