• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Here’s the psychological problem that causes Trump supporters to keep getting duped

phands

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Hardcore Atheist
Yes, folks....it's good old Dunning-Kruger....

In the past, some prominent psychologists have explained President Donald Trump’s unwavering support by alluding to a well-established psychological phenomenon known as the “Dunning-Kruger effect.” The effect is a type of cognitive bias, where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they don’t have enough knowledge to know they don’t have enough knowledge. Or, stated more harshly, they are “too dumb to know they are dumb.” This simple but loopy concept has been demonstrated dozens of times in well-controlled psychology studies and in a variety of contexts. However, until now, the effect had not been studied in one of the most obvious and important realms—political knowledge.

A new study published in the journal Political Psychology, carried out by the political scientist Ian Anson at the University of Maryland Baltimore County, not only found that the Dunning-Kruger effect applies to politics, it also appears to be exacerbated when partisan identities are made more salient. In other words, those who score low on political knowledge tend to overestimate their expertise even more when greater emphasis is placed on political affiliation.

There is MUCH more in the RAWSTORY post....including the new effect that when fed partisan cues, low-political-knowledge participants' Dunning-Kruger is amplified....with both rethuglicans and democrats.

Nobody needs a new name for ignorance and the effects of ignorance.

This has been known without the fancy name for a long time.

Free education. It should include college now.

And government education free of religion.

I disagree - somewhat - with the lack of need. The D-K label sets a common vocabulary and meaning for a very repeatable phenomenon.

I agree 1000% with your second two statements.

Ignorance in itself isn't the problem in this instance, when education is denied to those who are mentally equipped to make decisions, so the can't make informed choices.
Willful ignorance IS a problem, when faith or other twisted ideology deliberately misinform.

That said, education is known to be ineffective on D-K people - they sadly cannot learn, at least in the areas their D-K affects...."poor performers do not learn from feedback suggesting a need to improve", as the Wikipedia article has it.

I disagree - somewhat - with the lack of need. The D-K label sets a common vocabulary and meaning for a very repeatable phenomenon...

What I have seen here is it is most often a worthless insult when a person has a bad argument they can't support.

"You can't see my brilliance because of the D-K effect."

I think a better term is cognitive dissonance.

I must be suffering from cognitive dissonance because for the first time I have come to understand what Trump means by "tired of winning". We are working 12 hour days because of lack of qualified help, and after working 85+ hours last week it would be nice to slow down to around a 60hr week. US Steel is hiring people at my location but not fast enough to keep up with our demand. The area in general is booming with economic activity right now as well.

As an aside, Trump is supposed to actually be coming to make a speech at our facility on Thursday.

This is a culmination of 30 years of intensive resources and policy by the right in order to foster the types of voters they wanted to have.

Political polarization is not exclusive to Republicans of course, but it is mainly a conservative issue. Just like Republicans are more likely to believe lies or spread fake news. Now, of course, Dunning-Kruger is rearing it's ugly head, and no one should be surprised, especially the GOP. Now we have some never-Trumpers that complain about it, but where were they as their party distorted, lied, and propagandized everything to their own base in order to garner that unwavering support? The unwavering support that ironically, has now shifted from the GOP to Trump and holds the GOP hostage and dancing to the tune of an ignorant orange wannabee dictator.

Now, finally, some of them want to vote Democrat and is encouraging others to do so. Yet, even as they do they are now clamoring for the left not to go too far left. It would be sweet, sweet irony if it wasn't a clear and present danger to the republic.

I must be suffering from cognitive dissonance because for the first time I have come to understand what Trump means by "tired of winning". We are working 12 hour days because of lack of qualified help, and after working 85+ hours last week it would be nice to slow down to around a 60hr week. US Steel is hiring people at my location but not fast enough to keep up with our demand. The area in general is booming with economic activity right now as well.

As an aside, Trump is supposed to actually be coming to make a speech at our facility on Thursday.

You are suffering from such. Your post is the equivalent of Inohfe throwing a snowball onto the floor of the Senate, in order to disprove climate change.

You are suffering from such. Your post is the equivalent of Inohfe throwing a snowball onto the floor of the Senate, in order to disprove climate change.

Its a hell of a big snow ball then. The facility I work employs 3000 in a metro area of +3million. Middle class jobs where the primary wage earner can easily support a family of 4. And they say each primary job added is worth 7 more downstream.

Its a hell of a big snow ball then. The facility I work employs 3000 in a metro area of +3million. Middle class jobs where the primary wage earner can easily support a family of 4. And they say each primary job added is worth 7 more downstream.

So what is supporting the other 99.2% of the population? If 1 per 1,000 is at your factory, and 7 more per 1,000 are supported 'downstream', that leaves 99.2% needing other work; What has the Trump administration done for them?

0.8% is not a big snowball at all.

Will you be offering to suck his dick or lick his ass?

The only thing he wants is our contined support at the voting booth. And he will have mine and many others too.

Im actually glad I voted for both Obama and Trump. Obama saved Chrysler and my pension after Bush almost destroyed the auto industry. And Trump brought me back to work at US Steel with his steel tarriffs. Trump has also been responsible for causing both my property values and 400k stock values to increase dramatically as well.

So these are purely selfish economic reasons on my part but definately not cognitive dissonance in anyway shape or form. I would rather be prosperous than poor.

The only thing he wants is our contined support at the voting booth. And he will have mine and many others too.

Im actually glad I voted for both Obama and Trump. Obama saved Chrysler and my pension after Bush almost destroyed the auto industry. And Trump brought me back to work at US Steel with his steel tarriffs. Trump has also been responsible for causing both my property values and 400k stock values to increase dramatically as well.

So these are purely selfish economic reasons on my part but definately not cognitive dissonance in anyway shape or form. I would rather be prosperous than poor.

Ya know other posters in this thread hope that you and your co-workers lose yours jobs if it means preventing Trump from getting a second term. It's a sacrifice they're willing to make.

I, like many others don't give a flying fuck about your job, given your position here...all you wankers were bleating about free trade until the consequences thereof caught up with you. Selfishness defines you and trumpo supporters. BTW, learn to spell tariff...it might lift your posts above merely mediocre to just crap.

I, like many others don't give a flying fuck about your job, given your position here...all you wankers were bleating about free trade until the consequences thereof caught up with you. Selfishness defines you and trumpo supporters. BTW, learn to spell tariff...it might lift your posts above merely mediocre to just crap.

Ya see?

Ya see?

Yes we DO see. We see the garbage you spout and the special pleading you use to justify your selfishness. We see all too clearly.

Anyone else notice the (un?)intentional humor of phands accusing others of Dunning-Kruger?

DiUKWVmU8AESZBe.jpg

Intelligence has no systematic influence on the political vote, as it causes opposite effects on social and economic views, which cancel each other out.

DiC_u8lWsAABsVg.jpg

Here.

Back
Top Bottom