• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Herpes V2 or Am I being a huge baby?

I shake my head at how other countries do things...

When we decided to get serious, we both went to my GP, who organised blood and urine tests for both of us. He was then aware of what our medical status was, (clear of communicable diseases) and now treats us both for general health as well.

The tests cost us nothing, having been 'bulk billed' to Medicare. The Doctor visit was also bulk billed.

Well... if I would go to the doctor for something else, and while I'm there mention that I would like to do the HSV-2 test in addition to this other thing, then it would be free. But just going there only for the herpes blood test is when it gets complicated. I guess there's some logic to the system. They don't want people to tax the medical system with frivolous and questionable requests. It would be an inefficient use of my doctor's time. Still annoying for me at the moment.

I shake my head at how other countries do things...

When we decided to get serious, we both went to my GP, who organised blood and urine tests for both of us. He was then aware of what our medical status was, (clear of communicable diseases) and now treats us both for general health as well.

The tests cost us nothing, having been 'bulk billed' to Medicare. The Doctor visit was also bulk billed.

Well... if I would go to the doctor for something else, and while I'm there mention that I would like to do the HSV-2 test in addition to this other thing, then it would be free. But just going there only for the herpes blood test is when it gets complicated. I guess there's some logic to the system. They don't want people to tax the medical system with frivolous and questionable requests. It would be an inefficient use of my doctor's time. Still annoying for me at the moment.

I can see why it would be annoying. It seems like your country is contradictory in that it is obviously aware of the implication of STD's yet are not fully committed to doing anything concrete about it except setting up clinics to help those already diagnosed. They should be providing assistance to those who want to know if they are infected in order to theoretically slow down if not eliminate the inadvertent transmission of said diseases.

I can see why it would be annoying. It seems like your country is contradictory in that it is obviously aware of the implication of STD's yet are not fully committed to doing anything concrete about it except setting up clinics to help those already diagnosed. They should be providing assistance to those who want to know if they are infected in order to theoretically slow down if not eliminate the inadvertent transmission of said diseases.

Well.. I think Herpes needs to be separated from the other STDs in that physically it's harmless. The effect is purely ickyness and psychological. Yes, I'd rather not have Herpes but lets not exaggerate what we're talking about. Sweden does provide ample free care for diseases that have actual adverse effects. Herpes is not covered by our free STD clinics. Yes, I would be nice if this was covered and I would like that. But I do understand the line of reasoning.

Back
Top Bottom