• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

History of money, 20th century and earlier

Swammerdami

Squadron Leader
Basic Beliefs
pseudo-deism
Before prescribing future money, let's review the history of money. In this thread I propose to discuss money in the 20th century and earlier.

There are 21st century innovations:
  • "Quantitative Easing"
  • Modern Monetary Theory (MMT)
  • Cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin
but to keep the conversation focused I invite those who want to discuss 21st-century or novel types of money to use a different thread. Here we want to review the development of "old-fashioned" money.

One innovation that arose in the 20th century but is still very recent is the use of "electronic transfers" to replace paper checks. But conceptually this money operates much like paper checks; if you think it needs special attention discuss it in the 21st century thread.

Merriam-Webster said:
money
mon·ey ˈmə-nē
plural moneys or monies ˈmə-nēz

1: something generally accepted as a medium of exchange, a measure of value, or a means of payment: such as [coins], money of account or paper money
2a: wealth reckoned in terms of money
2b, 3, 4, 5...

In this thread we refer only to definition 1. A shorter definition would be simply "cash." For our purpose we classify money into just three types:
  • intrinsic-worth money
  • fiat money
  • bank-created money

We can ignore "money of account" -- this refers to ledger entries. The ledger entry can reflect a promise to pay money, but it isn't itself money.

Fiat money and bank-created money (typically paper) are valuable when we believe the promise of a government or bank, but intrinsic-worth money has no such dependence. When we sell something for a pack of cigarettes or 5 grams of peppercorns we need not look to an authority for approval; we accept that medium of exchange because the cigarettes or spice has an intrinsic worth independent of its use as money. (This may seem to be not quite true. A two-gram silver coin stamped with the face of a king is worth more than 2 grams of raw metal; but that's just because the coinage is CONVENIENT -- it lets us avoid weighing or assaying the silver. An official mint has tied its reputation to the coin.)

I'm going to review the history of money in Europe and the Near East but first let's list some things we WON'T need to discuss.
  • We won't bother with primitive societies that didn't need money.
  • We won't condone the meme "Money is debt." If someone wants to argue this viewpoint is useful, please begin with a paragraph explaining what the meme even means: It has about 3 distinct and contradictory interpretations.
  • I've heard some say that gold and silver "do not have intrinsic worth." This is so confused I won't bother refuting it unless someone insists. I will ask "Does platinum have intrinsic worth? How about beanie babies?"

For almost 5000 years, almost all money was intrinsic-worth money. Details about the coinage systems may be irrelevant, but I'll review some just to help make clear the nature of intrinsic-worth money. Merchants and bankers dealt with silver and gold, and often used scales to weigh the coins. Period. Mint markings on coin or bullion primarily just served as hints about metal purity.

Ancient Sumeria. More than 5000 years ago there was already money-oriented accounting and trading in Mesopotamia. Barley and silver were the two intrinsic-worth materials most often used for reference. To trade apples for oranges, one might reference the market prices in terms of barley or silver and do arithmetic. Accounting was the norm -- perhaps taking the form of replacing one marker with another on a bushel of barley in the town storage room. But there is evidence that weighing and transferring small quantities of silver DID occur. Nominally one gur of barley had the same monetary value as one shekel of silver, but this exchange ratio apparently did fluctuate.

Ancient Greece. By the time of Solon the Lawgiver, Greece had a system of coinage. (Details varies by city-state; we consider Athens specifically.) The drachma was a silver coin of 4.3 grams; it was subdivided into six oboloi; one oboloi was further subdivided into 8 chalkoi. The chalkoi were largish coins of copper. Iron sticks, tiny silver coins and larger bronze coins were all used as oboloi at some point. But the 4.3-gram silver drachma coin of Athens became a standard in the Eastern Mediterranean. 100 drachma made up a mine, and 60 mine a talent, but mine and talent were just accounting terms that varied from country to country. Athens' 6000-drachme talent, the 3000-shekel talent of Canaan, the 3600-shekel talent of Ur, and the 1200-ounce talent of Rome all had different weights measured in kilograms.

Two oboloi (1.4 grams of silver) was the daily wage of a ditch-digger and three oboloi (2.1 grams) the price of a prostitute's trick. Clearly the copper chalkoi coins were essential if lower classes shopped with money. These base metal were valued at much more than intrinsic-worth and so were fiat money, but the amounts were small and counterfeiting was a serious crime. Governments continued to issue postage stamps, base-metal coins of small denomination and other simple forms of fiat money but we will ignore these if the amounts are small.

I'll mention just a few more early coinages. A Persian gold daric was 8.4 grams (very slightly less than two Attic drachma) of 96% gold; it was about 1 months wages for a soldier. Assuming 25-day month this is 6 oboloi daily, or thrice the wage of the Attic ditch-digger. Eventually Arab countries introduced a gold dinar half the weight of a daric. The legendary King Croesus of Lydia Googles as minter of the first "real" coins in the 7th-century BC, despite earlier rudimentary coinages, e.g. in Greece. Initially using electrum (gold & silver alloy) as the intrinsic-worth material, Lydia soon switched to minting both pure gold and pure silver coins, always a multiple or fraction of 1 stater (10.7 grams) in weight. In 150 BC King Eucratides I minted 20-stater gold coins, the largest gold coins ever minted. Rulers found there was much to be gained by producing consistent, non-depreciating coinage. (I think that eventually a larger stater was defined in Greece as a 4-drachma coin.) 2000 years later, Florence famously produced the gold florin of 3.54 grams of 98% gold, with a consistent value that persisted for centuries.

Other intrinsic-worth materials. In addition to silver, gold, or electrum (silver-gold alloy), other materials have been used as intrinsic-worth money. Barley and cattle were used as moneys of account in ancient Mesopotamia but were too bulky for cash convenience. Peppercorns were used variously in Europe, and tobacco in the Virginia colony; in each case for the same reason: Scarcity of silver coins. (Britain made it illegal for the Colonies to use British silver coins --Britain needed its silver to buy tea from China!) Sweden was on a copper standard and had "coins" that it took a strong man to lift! This may be why Sweden was the first country to organize a central bank.

Rome. The Punic wars led to a huge expansion in the need for coins. Neighbors in a town might just say "You don't have a coin? No problem, my wife will stop at your farm next Thursday and pick up some eggs and milk." But with soldiers traveling to strange places, they needed money for purchases. And the Roman coins were continually rescaled and debased. The denarius was still 90% silver in the Reign of Commodus but by the time of Claudus II the coin was just brass. The only reason debased Roman money was functional at all was the power of that Empire. The fiat money was good for taxes and that was the major cash expense for many people. Carthage, with its Near Eastern roots, started with 7.2-gram shekels of fine silver but these were debased as the Punic Wars played out.

Rome had various sorts of bankers, toll collectors and money-changers; and primitive forms of "fractional-reserve banking" were practiced. In a simple form, a banker might issue the equivalent of a certified check. That check was probably written on papyrus.

Medieval Italy. I've already mentioned gold coins minted in Northern Italy like the florin, which became a standard throughout Europe. And by 1200 AD, banking money-changers were operating in Northern Italy, creating money represented on parchment (again, consider a certified check, some payable to bearer). These bankers preferred customers who left their funds on account, and would charge commissions for withdrawal of precious metals. Account books had to specify clearly what coinage system was used for a given account. Here's a book which documents some of that banking activity.

France and Britain both inherited the Carolingian system of 20 pennyweights to the ounce, 12 ounces to the pound, and 3 ounces equals 5 shillings. (A mark of 8 ounces was frequently mentioned. Such large "moneys of account" were often paid in bullion rather than counting out many coins.) These two important countries evolved Charlemagne's livre in two different directions. I will start with Britain, perhaps discussing France later if it seems useful.

England. In the time of Offa the Great, England adopted Charlemagne's system, with an ounce of sterling (92.5%) silver providing 20 pennies. (It took a while before the troy ounce stabilized at 31.1 grams.) In the time of King Edward I, the silver penny still had 1.3 grams of sterling silver and this was about the daily wage of a ditch-digger: Almost exactly the same wage, in silver, as almost 2000 years earlier in Attic Greece. (Does Google show the price of a prostitute's trick in 13th-century England?) By the time of Queen Elizabeth. the Royal Mint produced 62 pennies from an ounce of sterling silver. British money had lost 67.7% of its value, if measured by silver content. However this was an 800-year interval so it averages out to 0.14% annual devaluation. (In fact devaluation was not steady. Elizabeth's own father was responsible for much devaluation and Elizabeth herself did the final bump, from 60 pennies per ounce to 62. With 60 pennies per ounce, it took three penny coins to get one pennyweight of sterling silver. Both the reduced size of the coin, and higher copper content contributed to this debasement.)

Please note that any debasement was soon reflected in the value received for the money (British money in this example) overseas, or anywhere assay tests revealed the debasement. This was intrinsic-worth money not fiat money. A penny containing only 90% of the earlier penny's silver would purchase only 90% as much as the earlier penny. A ruler who devalued would get only a "quick fix" while the market adjusted, with a cost in long-term reputation.

Revaluation in the other direction almost never happened. Rulers understand the burden debtors are under. To compound their suffering by making them repay the money (silver or money of account) they had borrowed with money valued at a new, higher rate would be unacceptable. There was one notable exception to this rule: King Henry VIII had his mint secretly create large quantities of debased silver coins, and then suddenly started spending them. He was willing to risk the long-term reputation of English money just for a quick infusion of illicit wealth he could lavish on his partying and military. But this led to much annoyance and IIUC the English government soon replaced the debased coins with silver at the 60 pennies per ounce standard.

When Sir Isaac Newton was Master of the Mint, the monetary pound was still 32.26% of a troy pound of silver. Believe it or not, you could buy a full pound of sterling silver for slightly less than a monetary pound in 1941 !! In other words, when measured in silver, the British pound APPRECIATED between Offa the Great and Churchill.

I stress this all so that the connection of such money to a Precious Metal is quite vivid. Among other important achievements as Mint Master, Sir Isaac switched the country to a gold standard. Using the market gold/silver price ratio, and Elizabeth's 62-penny ounce, in effect Britain promised to buy or sell gold at the price of 84.6 shillings per troy ounce. This promise continued for centuries up until 1930 when Britain abandoned the gold standard in response to one of the biggest credit crunches in all of history.

Stability of the Prices of Precious Metals

As everyone knows, Prices Fluctuate! Homework Assignment: Please pick a commodity and present a graph of its fluctuations over time.
Yet Britain maintained a stable price of gold (£4.23) essentially from the time of Queen Elizabeth and Isaac Newton all the way until 1930. And the United States, eventually under the Bretton-Woods agreement, maintained a stable price of gold from FDR to Nixon.

Or rather ALMOST stable. The price of gold in London rose slightly in 1801, and continued to rise reaching £5.76 pounds in 1813 (the height of the War against Napoleon). By 1820 the pound had recovered. It remained at Newton's price until an excursion 1919-1924, reaching £5.65 in 1920. It wasn't until 1931 that the U.K. abandoned the gold standard. After Hoover dawdling, FDR took office and the U.S. changed its own official price of gold, imposing a 41% "hair-cut" on dollar holders. (It was worse than that. They made dollar hoarding illegal.) Britain maintained a stable gold-price of £8.40 (49% haircut) throughout World War II; and this price continued after Bretton-Woods.

The United States helped maintain stable prices of the precious metals. A troy ounce of gold sold for $19.39 in New York City. The U.S. dollar was defined as an amount of silver, and the gold/silver ratio was defined by statute. In 1815 at the height of a War, gold sold in New York at a 12% premium, but the statutory price was quickly restored. In the 1830's the statutory gold/silver ratio was revised and gold was priced at $20.67. To finance the Civil War, Lincoln introduced paper "greenbacks" and in 1864 it took $42.03 of greenbacks to buy a troy ounce of gold. But the greenbacks were eventually redeemed into precious metal at their face value and by 1879 the price of gold in New York was again $20.67. It remained at that price until FDR became President. FDR set the new statutory price of $35 per ounce and, although it was made illegal for American citizens to hold gold, gold traded in London for the equivalent of $35 until 1968 when inflationary pressures arose. Finally in 1971, President R.M. Nixon closed the Treasury's gold window and the link between world currencies and precious metals was severed.

During the 19th century France was the leading European power and, by committing to buy or sell both gold and silver at fixed prices -- bimetallism -- French power was able to keep the gold/silver price ratio essentially constant. Eventually new silver discoveries, e.g. Nevada's Comstock Lode, forced France to abandon its ratio, and the price of silver fell. By then most countries had followed Newton's lead and switched from a silver standard to a gold standard. (W.J. Bryan famously spoke of a "cross of gold". He wanted silver to be accepted as money at the old price ratio. I mention this as evidence of the strong lnks between monetary policy and politics.)

So, the values of gold and silver remained stable for thousands of years. This price stability arose mostly due to their use as money, I think. As trading increased, and especially as world producion rose rapidly during the 19th century, shortage of precious metals became an important issue. Many of the financial panics in the U.S. prior to the establishment of the FedRes System had a shortage of the gold needed for banking and commerce either as cause or effect. (One of these panics was finally solved, famously, when a ship carrying gold from Europe was spotted entering New York's harbor.)

This concludes preliminary discussion of intrinsic-worth money. In subsequent posts I will discuss fiat (government-created) money and bank-created money.

But while we're here, let's consider Lincoln's greenbacks. What kind of money were they? They came with a "guarantee" that they could be eventually redeemed into precious metal, so were they intrinsic-worth money? If not, were they "fiat money" or "bank-created money"? The market value (measured in precious metal) of the paper notes reflected the level of confidence that their "guarantee" would eventually be satisfied. (Confederate banknotes fared less well than Union banknotes!) Whether a piece of paper promising to pay out gold or silver has "intrinsic worth" or is just "fiat money" does not always have a simple answer.

When Sir Isaac Newton was Master of the Mint, the monetary pound was still 32.26% of a troy pound of silver. Believe it or not, you could buy a full pound of sterling silver for slightly less than a monetary pound in 1941 !! In other words, when measured in silver, the British pound APPRECIATED between Offa the Great and Churchill.

I stress this all so that the connection of such money to a Precious Metal is quite vivid. Among other important achievements as Mint Master, Sir Isaac switched the country to a gold standard. Using the market gold/silver price ratio, and Elizabeth's 62-penny ounce, in effect Britain promised to buy or sell gold at the price of 84.6 shillings per troy ounce. This promise continued for centuries up until 1930 when Britain abandoned the gold standard in response to one of the biggest credit crunches in all of history.

Throughout much of the 19th century, France was able to maintain a TWO-metal system by trading gold and silver (in either direction) at a fixed 15.5 : 1 ratio. When gold was in short supply, silver could pick up the slack.

The ratio became fragile with the news of silver discoveries in Nevada and elsewhere; France changed the ratio and closed its windows; the ratio reached 35 by 1898; peaked at 40.5 in 1915, and later at 73.3 in 1932, and 99.7 in 1941. Might it have been possible for bimetallism to defer the 1930-33 collapse of precious-metal money? This seems wild, especially if the silver price fluctuated as much as in the event. But IIRC, Friedman may argue for this.

We won't condone the meme "Money is debt." If someone wants to argue this viewpoint is useful, please begin with a paragraph explaining what the meme even means: It has about 3 distinct and contradictory interpretations.
Money IS debt. Knowing this IS fundamental; Whether it is also "useful" depends on what you want to achieve. Plenty of chemistry was done before the atomic structure of matter was understood, but to argue that the "meme" that "matter is made up of tiny particles with a dense, positively charged, nucleus surrounded by diffuse negative charge, and that all chemistry is mediated by interactions between the negative charges which are discretely quantised as indivisible 'electrons'", is not useful would be perverse.

I have no clue to what "interpretations" you are referring, but that money is debt seems to me both fundamental and straightforward. It's going to require more than a mere paragraph to explain, but I am sure that you are aware that the complexity of an explanation isn't evidence of its falsity, or its lack of merit.

To illustrate that money is debt, consider a barter economy. Joe has a pig; He wants to trade it for Sam's corn, but harvest is a few months away.

So instead of getting the corn he wants, he has Sam give him something else, that he can later swap for some corn. This something else should ideally be durable, portable, widely valued due to its scarcity, and not particularly useful for practical purposes, so that when the corn is harvested, Joe doesn't discover that he has eaten his exchange commodity, or that it has gone rotten, or that he has used it to make tools, or whatever. Gold seems suitable. So commodity money is born - and is debt, but it is also barter. Commodity money isn't money as we use it today; Nobody is indebted at the conclusion of a commodity exchange, even if one of the commodities in question is gold.

But what if Sam has no gold? Direct bartering isn't going to help here. So maybe Joe gives Sam the pig, in exchange for a debt - Sam gives Joe no corn (or gold), but instead a promise of some corn (or maybe gold) at harvest time.

That promise is a debt, but it's not yet money - money is a very specific and special case of debt. It's debt that is transferrable and tokenised.

Now Joe may not trust Sam to remember the debt at harvest time, so in order to trade, he demands a token - a promise in writing to give Joe a certain amount of corn, at a certain date. This is still not money, but it's getting closer.

Here comes John. John wants to exchange some chickens for corn. Joe wants chickens, but doesn't yet have any corn - but he does have a token that shows Sam to be indebted to Joe for some corn. If Joe can transfer Sam's debt to John, then Joe and John can trade. Better yet, if the debt can be assigned to anyone, as a token of debt payable to "bearer", lots of people can trade stuff on the basis that Sam will settle up with everyone at harvest time.

This liquid debt still isn't really money, though - it all depends on Sam's harvest, and his trustworthiness. Best take Sam out of the equation. Just as we took Joe out by making the identity of the creditor transferrable, we can likewise take Sam out, by making the identity of the debtor transferrable. Sam owes corn to whomever holds his IOU, but his harvest could fail. He might never have that corn. But what he does have is some IOUs from Bob, who took some of last year's corn crop in exchange for a future promise of a cow. So when "bearer" comes looking for corn from Sam, he can just give that "bearer" some of the debt he holds from Bob instead.

Now we have tokens that are representative of a debt by a non-specific debtor, to a non-specific creditor. That is "money". Money is, as we can see, (a special case of) debt.

In a very real sense, any money you have is a representation of what you are owed by the world at large.

If you are a net creditor (ie you have some money), then you have given more to society than you have taken, and can claim goods and services to the value of that debt (or "money") from anyone who is prepared to exchange those things for that debt.

If you are a net debtor (ie you have a negative net worth), then you have taken more from society than you have given, and have an obligation to generate goods and services that add that amount of value to the economy.

Note that "intrinsic value" isn't really a thing. Gold has similar value to a written promise of gold. Nobody really wants either, except as a means to obtain something else. As you correctly point out, convenience implies that coins are typically worth more than the commodity from which they are made; This is no less true of base-metal coins than it is of gold ones. The whole system depends on trust, and gold is not intrinsically valuable, but rather is intrinsically trustworthy. If the king is deposed, base metal coins with his imprimatur as their sole source of value might suddenly be worthless, but commodity money still has some value as gold, even if its value as money (ie as the representation of a debt) has vanished. Gold can stop being money, but when it does, it typically retains far more value as a tradeable commodity in its own right than paper would. When a currency collapses, and people are thrown back on barter, gold can still be bartered for other stuff that people want. As long as somebody somewhere wants gold.

This makes gold a good exchange medium as long as the amount of gold that exists changes roughly in proportion to the amount of trading people want to do. But fiat money - money tied not to gold, but to the economy at large - is FAR superior, as its supply can be modulated to match the level of commerce that is happening. This benefit typically massively outweighs its "intrinsic" untrustworthiness.

Commodity money was OK (not great, but OK) for medieval economies, where there was little growth in economic activity, and also little growth in money supply. It suffered various shocks due to such things as the sudden and hugely inflationary influx of gold from the New World. But it couldn't possibly cope with the massive economic growth caused by the Industrial Revolution, which was hugely deflationary. This deflation was partially offset by the use of new technologies and transportation systems to find new gold; But that was never going to be enough to rescue gold as a monetary base.

Money remained stable for thousands of years, not because gold is inherently stable, but because the gold supply is inherently slow to grow, and so was the economy for thousands of years - the stability was largely a matter of coincidence, tempered by a slight feedback mechanism (gold prospectors are more active when gold prices are high, due to economic activity growing faster than the gold supply).

Fiat money, unlike gold, can be made available in arbitrary quantities, and this is essential when productivity can be increased in ways which are in no way related to the total amount of gold that is available. Of course, it can also be risky, if money supply isn't effectively and responsibly managed by a trustworthy (and trusted) central bank and/or government.

Saying "Warren Buffet is rich" is synonymous with saying "The economy as a whole agrees that we owe Warren Buffet a shitload of stuff".

Money IS debt. Just as with "matter IS atoms", this fact is useful only when we are in a position to make use of it. But we aren't really qualified to talk about chemistry if we don't know that matter is atoms, even though we can muddle through without that knowledge. And not knowing that money is debt is similarly crippling to our ability to talk about economics.

Might it have been possible for bimetallism to defer the 1930-33 collapse of precious-metal money?
Not really. It certainly helped, by massively increasing the money supply at a time when economic growth was in danger of vastly exceeding the growth in availability of gold. But ultimately the growth rates since the industrial revolution have exceeded the rate of increase in availability of both gold and silver, and the latter is less useful as money, because it's too useful as something other than money.

Gold doesn't drop out of circulation because it got used to make stuff (or at least, not at a very high rate), or because it got oxidised away; but silver does do this, rather more so than gold. And the last thing a growing economy needs, is self-disappearing money.

Nice work. I myself once wrote an essay on types of money.
  • Barter
  • Gift economies
  • Commodity money
  • Representative money
    • Commodity-backed money
    • Fiat money
Starting first with alternatives to money, we have barter. A has X and wants Y, and B has Y and wants X. A and B meet, A gives X to B, and B gives Y to X. This requires a "coincidence of wants", something that can be hard to achieve in practice.

Next up is a gift economy. A gives X to B, and B remembers A's favor and later gives Y to A. This can work in small-scale societies, but it does not work very well in large-scale ones, because it does not scale very well.

Many societies move on from there to some medium of exchange: money. A exchanges X for M and M for Y, and B exchanges Y for M and M for X.

The simplest sort is commodity money, something traded at its non-monetary value. The Wikipedia article on it lists these types of commodities that have been used as money:

Gold, silver, copper, salt, peppercorns, tea, large stones (such as Rai stones), decorated belts, shells, alcohol, cigarettes, cannabis, candy, cocoa beans, cowries and barley.

Such money is often not very portable, and that has led to the development of representative money, something traded at much more than its non-monetary value. Paper money is the best-known type of that sort of money, though coins may also qualify. Electronic money, like numerical values in banks' databases, may also be that.

One type of it is commodity-backed money, essentially IOU notes for commodities like precious metals (IOU = "I Owe You"). One then makes payments with these IOU notes rather than the commodities themselves. Gold-standard enthusiasts want paper money to be IOU's for gold, thus presumably guaranteeing its value.

The other main type of it is fiat money, money decreed into existence. The name comes from Latin "fiat", "let (it) be made", not the Italian car company. Money can be decreed into existence by central banks, typically by running the banks' paper-money printing presses or some electronic counterpart. Some people consider fiat money unreliable because a government can recklessly print it, something that can cause massive inflation.

There are also forms of fiat money that are essentially monetary fraud, like debased coinage and counterfeit money. Given how fiat money originates, it is not surprising that some people consider even "legitimate" fiat money to also be monetary fraud.

Turning to cryptocurrencies, like Bitcoin, I'm not sure how they fit in. They seem to be forms of fiat money, however. Cryptocurrencies are accounting ledgers maintained online, with copies distributed over the currencies' users. These ledgers are stored as "blockchains", chains of blocks of transactions. Each block also contains a "nonce value" and a hashcode for its contents. The hashcode is generated by applying a hashing or scrambled-summary algorithm on the block's contents, and the nonce value is selected to make the hashcode smaller than some threshold value. One has to do a *lot* of trial and error to find a nonce value that makes a suitably small hashcode, but it is easy to verify the results. That trial and error is essentially the certification of a block for the blockchain, called "mining" in analogy with gold mining. As protection against tampering, each block's contents also includes the previous block's hashcode, so that changes in one block will propagate to later blocks.

Looking back in history, consider alchemy. It contained some legitimate chemistry, some aspirational chemistry like making gold, some charlatanism, and some metaphysical and mystical flim-flam, like identifying the seven traditional metals with the seven traditional planets. In fact, chemistry is essentially alchemy without the unsupportable parts.

Alchemy and The Act Against Multipliers | In Custodia Legis
notes
Benchmarks: January 13, 1404: England prohibits Alchemy
So, in 1404, Parliament passed a statute called the Act Against Multipliers, making alchemy — or more specifically, the multiplication of gold and silver via alchemy — illegal: “None from henceforth shall use to multiply gold or silver, or use the craft of multiplication; and if any the same do, he shall incur the pain of felony.”

In 1689, Boyle argued for the official repeal of Henry IV’s act against multiplying gold and silver, arguing that the act impeded important research. Boyle’s effort was ultimately successful, resulting in the Mines Royal Act of 1689. Shortly after Boyle’s death in 1691, his confidant and colleague Newton wrote in a letter to John Locke that Boyle may have had added motivation to repeal the 1404 law: Boyle’s papers left hints that he may have thought he had finally discovered a recipe for alchemically producing gold.
In effect, that law had a potential chilling effect on alchemical research.

We did eventually discover how to make gold, but that involves nuclear reactions, and it's very energetically costly. Nothing available to the alchemists could ever have made gold.

If the alchemists did succeed in making gold and silver, in amounts comparable to other metals, then those metals' value would have dropped rather precipitously.

Four centuries ago, Spain brought a lot of gold and silver from its colonies to back home, resulting in growth of the money supply more than the rest of the economy, causing galloping inflation.

Spanish Empire
"I learnt a proverb here", said a French traveler in 1603: "Everything is dear in Spain except silver".[121] The problems caused by inflation were discussed by scholars at the School of Salamanca and the arbitristas. The natural resource abundance provoked a decline in entrepreneurship as profits from resource extraction are less risky.[122] The wealthy preferred to invest their fortunes in public debt (juros). The Habsburg dynasty spent the Castilian and American riches in wars across Europe on behalf of Habsburg interests, and declared moratoriums (bankruptcies) on their debt payments several times. These burdens led to a number of revolts across the Spanish Habsburg's domains, including their Spanish kingdoms.

We won't condone the meme "Money is debt." If someone wants to argue this viewpoint is useful, please begin with a paragraph explaining what the meme even means: It has about 3 distinct and contradictory interpretations.
Money IS debt. Knowing this IS fundamental; ...

... So commodity money is born - and is debt, but it is also barter.

I'm sorry, bilby. First, I asked for a brief paragraph, and you respond with a long tedious essay. Did you imagine you were writing something I didn't know? Hardly; we seem to be debating useless semantics. And your conclusion is absurd on multiple grounds.

I took it upon myself to reduce your overly long post into a cogent paragraph, but I stopped when I reached the gibberish above.

Money is an ASSET. So are bushels of barley, an ounce of silver or a possessed paper promissory note.

"Commodity is debt"? No, of course not. Assets are the opposite of debt (liabilities).
"Commodity is (also) barter." That's just grammatical misuse akin to "My microwave is food."

"Money Is debt." I know you'll just be sarcastic if I give instructions. But EITHER replace your long diatribe with 40 words or so. OR replace the gibberish phrase "Money is debt" with 40 meaningful words.

I'm sorry, bilby. First, I asked for a brief paragraph, and you respond with a long tedious essay.
Yeah. I should have mentioned that.

Oh, wait:
It's going to require more than a mere paragraph to explain, but I am sure that you are aware that the complexity of an explanation isn't evidence of its falsity, or its lack of merit.

Did you imagine you were writing something I didn't know?
No, you explicitly told me that it was something you didn't know:

Zero imagination on my part was required.

"Money Is debt." I know you'll just be sarcastic if I give instructions. But EITHER replace your long diatribe with 40 words or so. OR replace the gibberish phrase "Money is debt" with 40 meaningful words.

If you are only able to understand concepts that are able to be explained in forty words, then it is unsurprising that you can't grasp this one.

That doesn't make it any less a fact.

The US abandoned the gold standard in the 20th century, so what made US dollars valuable without the promise of convertibility?

I think the MMT answer is that US dollars are valuable because they are the only way to pay US taxes, but I'm curious about the 20th century explanation.

This liquid debt still isn't really money, though - it all depends on Sam's harvest, and his trustworthiness. Best take Sam out of the equation. Just as we took Joe out by making the identity of the creditor transferrable, we can likewise take Sam out, by making the identity of the debtor transferrable. Sam owes corn to whomever holds his IOU, but his harvest could fail. He might never have that corn. But what he does have is some IOUs from Bob, who took some of last year's corn crop in exchange for a future promise of a cow. So when "bearer" comes looking for corn from Sam, he can just give that "bearer" some of the debt he holds from Bob instead.

Now we have tokens that are representative of a debt by a non-specific debtor, to a non-specific creditor. That is "money". Money is, as we can see, (a special case of) debt.
Then every IOU basically says, "I owe you some stuff OR someone else's IOU(s)"?

Are these IOUs fungible like money, though? Maybe John trusts Sam's promise of goods more he trusts Bob's?

Bertrand Russell in"The Modern Midas" in "In Praise of Idleness":
Of all reputedly useful occupations, about the most absurd is gold-mining. Gold is dug out of the earth in South Africa, and is conveyed, with infinite precautions against theft and accident, to London or Paris or New York, where it is again placed underground in the vaults of banks. It might just as well have been left underground in South Africa.

Nevertheless it is still supposed that, by some mysterious hocus-pocus, everybody’s financial stability depends upon a hoard of gold in the central bank of his country. During the war, when submarines made it dangerous to transport gold, the fiction was carried still further. Of the gold that was mined in South Africa, some was deemed to be in the United States, some in England, some in France, and so on, but in fact it all stayed in South Africa. Why not carry the fiction a stage farther, and deem that the gold has been mined, while leaving it quietly in the ground?
However, this gold is much more verifiable in a bank vault than in the rocks where it had resided.

Then every IOU basically says, "I owe you some stuff OR someone else's IOU(s)"?

Are these IOUs fungible like money, though?
Yes. As long as everyone trusts their ultimate backers.
Maybe John trusts Sam's promise of goods more he trusts Bob's?
Well, obviously that would be a problem. But it could be resolved by having the government issue and endorse all of the IOUs, so that ultimately people don't need to trust each other individually, only the economy in aggregate. If Sam won't trade his corn for your dollars, then you can go get that corn from his neighbour instead. Or import it from Ukraine.

Of course, as the Germans, Hungarians, Zimbabweans and Venezuelans can all attest, if trust in the government and/or central bank fails, the IOUs can still suddenly become worthless.

Money IS debt. Knowing this IS fundamental; ...

... So commodity money is born - and is debt, but it is also barter.

I'm sorry, bilby. First, I asked for a brief paragraph, and you respond with a long tedious essay. Did you imagine you were writing something I didn't know? Hardly; we seem to be debating useless semantics. And your conclusion is absurd on multiple grounds.

I took it upon myself to reduce your overly long post into a cogent paragraph, but I stopped when I reached the gibberish above.

Money is an ASSET. So are bushels of barley, an ounce of silver or a possessed paper promissory note.

"Commodity is debt"? No, of course not. Assets are the opposite of debt (liabilities).
"Commodity is (also) barter." That's just grammatical misuse akin to "My microwave is food."

You can look at it both ways. It's an asset to it's owner--but it's a promise to pay and thus also a debt.

Thank you, lpetrich. Let me compare your breakdown with mine.
  • Barter
  • Gift economies (I cross these out because we can begin our story 5000 years ago with civilization.)
  • Commodity (intrinsic worth) money
  • Representative money
    • Commodity-backed money
    • Precious-metal coins and bullion
    • Bank-created money, e.g. letters of credit
    • Fiat money (government-issued)

Thank you. For now I note that the biggest difference between your breakdown and mine is that you omit bank-created money, while it is a major component of money for me. (Or does your "commodity-BACKED money" include bank-created money??)

The stone wheels on the obscure Pacific island were status symbols, rather than everyday money. It and gifting societies were always BEFORE Civilization, no?

The very early civilizations of Mesopotamia had laws about usury, so probably had at least primitive banking. Perhaps even some form of bank-created money.

You can look at it both ways. It's an asset to it's owner--but it's a promise to pay and thus also a debt.

Does one write "Bread is hunger" because bread can address someone's hunger?
And if I thought I had some point to make, I'd use complete sentences, not just the gibberish meme "Money is debt."

And now you show up, parroting . . . parroting WHAT exactly? Do you think your sentence here adds special insight?

If I receive tobacco (old Virginia money) for my labor and then give the tobacco to my brother because he likes to smoke, who's in debt to whom exactly?

And why not deal with complete sentences to add meaning anyway? Is this thread about the History of Money? Or is it about semantic obfuscation?

Money is debt! Bread is hunger! Time is money! Cheese is Wednesday!

Thank you, lpetrich. Let me compare your breakdown with mine.
  • Barter
  • Gift economies (I cross these out because we can begin our story 5000 years ago with civilization.)
  • Commodity (intrinsic worth) money
  • Representative money
    • Commodity-backed money
    • Precious-metal coins and bullion
    • Bank-created money, e.g. letters of credit
    • Fiat money (government-issued)
Thank you. For now I note that the biggest difference between your breakdown and mine is that you omit bank-created money, while it is a major component of money for me. (Or does your "commodity-BACKED money" include bank-created money??)
I don't draw a line between government-issued money and bank-issued money. Both of them can issue either commodity-backed money (IOU's for the issuer's assets) or fiat money (money decreed into existence).

I also note that a promissory note is essentially a fancy IOU note.

Back
Top Bottom