• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Hope For The Dying

Another example of derail goading.

Did I mention God or religion?
Why are you trying to change the subject?

Why cant we just have an interesting secular discussion without the bait-and-switch?
No you just indicated the people must suffer because of your paranoia.

Nope. I'm not paranoid. I've got empirical data.

People suffering the psychological torture of elder abuse wherein they feel pressured to 'speed things up' and stop being a burden on the system aren't being paranoid either.

They are victims of gaslighting and euphemistic language about dying with dignity.

Human nature is what it is. Abuse occurs. Abuse may cause somebody to commit suicide, but that is not the issue.

The issue is if there is a fundamental right to end your life. A life we have no choice in beginning.

The Christians seem to believe suffer horribly because it is god's plan or some other nonsense.

THE VALUE OF HUMAN LIFE

Human life is the basis of all goods, and is the necessary source and condition of every human activity and of all society. Most people regard life as something sacred and hold that no one may dispose of it at will, but believers see in life something greater, namely, a gift of God’s love, which they are called upon to preserve and make fruitful. And it is this latter consideration that gives rise to the following consequences:

No one can make an attempt on the life of an innocent person without opposing God’s love for that person, without violating a fundamental right, and therefore without committing a crime of the utmost gravity.[4]

Everyone has the duty to lead his or her life in accordance with God’s plan. That life is entrusted to the individual as a good that must bear fruit already here on earth, but that finds its full perfection only in eternal life.

Intentionally causing one’s own death, or suicide, is therefore equally as wrong as murder; such an action on the part of a person is to be considered as a rejection of God’s sovereignty and loving plan. Furthermore, suicide is also often a refusal of love for self, the denial of a natural instinct to live, a flight from the duties of justice and charity owed to one’s neighbor, to various communities or to the whole of society – although, as is generally recognized, at times there are psychological factors present that can diminish responsibility or even completely remove it. However, one must clearly distinguish suicide from that sacrifice of one’s life whereby for a higher cause, such as God’s glory, the salvation of souls or the service of one’s brethren, a person offers his or her own life or puts it in danger (cf. Jn. 15:14).

Human nature is what it is. Abuse occurs.

oh well.
waddya gonna do. *shrug*
Übermensch...dog-eat-dog...sorry-not-sorry....

Abuse may cause somebody to commit suicide, but that is not the issue.

Yeah. You already said that above.
Human nature is what it is...Abusers gonna abuse....

The issue is if there is a fundamental right to end your life. A life we have no choice in beginning.

What is this curious expression "fundamental right" you speak of ?
Is it biological/ anatomical? Can you do an autopsy to find proof it exists?

The Christians seem to believe suffer horribly because it is god's plan or some other nonsense.

LOL
There's that word again.

All roads lead back to the religious sanctity of life context.

It's like you guys know (written in your heart) that a purely secular discussion of the topic falls short.

It's like you guys know (written in your heart) that a purely secular discussion of the topic falls short.
It may be “like“ that to you, but it’s not “like” that at all. Discussions of morality and ethics can only usefully occur without religious contamination.

Also, pro tip: You want “as if” in your quoted sentence, not “like.”

...Discussions of morality and ethics can only usefully occur without religious contamination.

That's between you and the atheists in the thread who keep trying to smuggle counter-apologetic proselytizing into the thread.

Also, pro tip: You want “as if” in your quoted sentence, not “like.”

I'm sure I'll thank you if I ever manage to work out what you mean.

Are you sure you wouldn't want to at least have the right to shorten your suffering if nothing was available to end it, other than death?
I'm already hurting, and I don't want the death you insist I can demand.
Wait, why are you getting to make the choice for yourself and everyone else?
What's so strange about this board is that many people here seem to think I have some power to force them to live. I have no such power. If you're bent on suicide, then I won't and can't stop you.

But I've noticed that you're still alive. (Brilliant deduction, eh?) So there must be something preferable about living for you. You might not really mean that you want death but are actually looking for help with your troubles. Or if you do want suicide to be allowed, then you want it to be an option for somebody else--possibly people you don't like.
One of the reasons I say no is because very obviously I know better than to trust people who think I--and they--would be better off if I was dead. People who want me to live and live well are the truly compassionate people, of course.
You are aware of living wills, right? Your (and other people's) wishes can be put forth in one. It is binding. Your rights are protected.
I'm not sure what this has to do with what I posted.
Now that we have already solved this problem you keep worrying about, can we get back to people who can't be treated to alleviate their suffering?
If there are any such people, sure.
Which raises the question: Did you read the attached article from Scientific American? That article explains that yes, better care is in fact available for those who are suffering. It's the older, nonprofit version of hospice care. So why not push for such care rather than this crazy idea of killing people to end their misery?
Because you can only stop suffering so much without knocking a person out.
Then we need to work on means to stop suffering without knocking people out.
You keep talking but you don't seem to know what you are talking about.
Get that ad hom in there. No pro-suicide rant is complete without at least one fallacy. In fact, it's looking like arguing for suicide isn't possible without fallacies. Many of the suicide supporters on this board, for example, insult me to prove how compassionate they are and to prove the importance of rights.
My Dad was fortunate to land himself in a palliative care wing at the local hospital. He had the absolute best care he could have ever really hoped for. But they were always chasing the pain. They didn't want to dope him up to unconsciousness, but really, that is what was needed. It was awful having to let him sleep, rather than spend waking moments with him. It was what he wanted, what he needed. His last few days were awful. Watching a person's body shutdown is arduous and painful. But some people don't want to allow to push them pass quickly and with less needless suffering.
Unfortunately, we're not hearing from your Dad but from you. Are we to trust your judgment regarding who should live and who should die? Didn't you object to my choosing those alternatives? I've noticed that it is common for family members to tell these horror stories rather than the person they say was suffering.
Each of these cases vary from person to person. My Dad's experience was unique, as it is to every other human being. They should be able to have a say, if you are.
What do they then say? I happen to be aware that such persons have created organizations to protect themselves from what they see as a threat to their lives. They're scared, and it looks like they have reason to be afraid.
I've read many times that few people actually choose euthanasia but many are comforted knowing they have that choice. I want to have that choice. Why would you deny someone like me that choice?
That's a bizarre question because I can't deny you anything. But if you are suicidal, then I urge you to contact:

988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline
Hours: Available 24 hours. Languages: English, Spanish. Learn more
Are you for real? Are you incapable of understanding their context?
I'm very serious when it comes to matters of life and death. Please get help if you are suicidal.

In this case it's a matter of opinion.

Do you own your own life, and therefore have the right to do with it as you wish; Or does someone else own your life, and therefore have the right to dictate to you that you must continue to live whether you want to or not?

The religious objections are basically saying that God owns your life, and that you do not, and that his representative(s), the popes, imams, priests, whatever, have the right to say "Thou shalt not choose to die".

Which would be less problematic if those representatives could demonstrate that their principal exists, agrees with their claims, and has the right to impose His opinion.

Shit, it would be a start if they could all agree with each other as to their principal's opinion.

In the meantime, I will stick to my opinion that my life is mine, and belongs to nobody and nothing else, and that it should be my choice to continue it or not.

In my ethos, denying a person the right to end their own life if they so choose, is no less immoral than denying them the right to continue it if they so choose. Prohibitions against voluntary euthanasia are roughly as moral as murder.

oh well.
waddya gonna do. *shrug*

LOL
There's that word again.

All religious rods lead to wars, conflicts, and abuse. Historical facts.

Gaza coes down to a religious war, as is Iran vs Saudi Arabia. North Ireland is still simmering, Catholics vs Protestants.

In the context of the OP Christians based on a belief in being the moral agent of a god invented by ancient wondering nomads think te have right to control people;s lives. That includes clamg suicide is not to be allowed.

It doesn;t matter how much you are suffering, live at all costs regardless of quality of life.

oh well.
waddya gonna do. *shrug*

LOL
There's that word again.

All religious roads lead to wars, conflicts, and abuse. Historical facts.

Gaza cmoes down to a religious war, as is Iran vs Saudi Arabia. North Ireland is still simmering, Catholics vs Protestants.

Hindus vs Muslims.

In the context of the OP Christians based on a belief in being the moral agent of a god invented by ancient wondering nomads think they have the right to control people;s lives. That includes claiming suicide is not to be allowed.

It doesn't matter how much you are suffering, live at all costs regardless of quality of life. It is all part of the plan god has for you. The heart of Christianity from the gospels. A cult of pain and suffering.

I don't like Brussels Sprouts.

Forcing me to eat Brussels Sprouts would be cruel; Tricking me into eating them would be evil. I don't expect that I shall ever, under any circumumstances, want to eat Brussels Sprouts, and nobody should be permitted to make me do so.

Therefore nobody should be allowed to have Brussels Sprouts, because offering them to people is immoral, and there are always alternatives. If somebody asks for Brussels Sprouts, then we should ignore their request, and offer them some nice Peas or Carrots instead.

Those people promoting the idea that we should let people choose Brussels Sprouts should instead be working to ensure that the widest possible range of alternative vegetables are on the menu.

If anyone is thinking of ordering Brussels Sprouts with their dinner, I urge them to seek help.
Brussels Sprouts are merely the tip of the iceberg. Any form of cooked leaf is not proper food and has no business being on the table. (And my wife is obviously going to hell because she likes most leaf food.)

Are you sure you wouldn't want to at least have the right to shorten your suffering if nothing was available to end it, other than death?
I'm already hurting, and I don't want the death you insist I can demand.
Wait, why are you getting to make the choice for yourself and everyone else?
What's so strange about this board is that many people here seem to think I have some power to force them to live. I have no such power. If you're bent on suicide, then I won't and can't stop you.

But I've noticed that you're still alive. (Brilliant deduction, eh?) So there must be something preferable about living for you.
Oh, dear, well I guess that is because none of us here, so far as I know, are elderly, terminally ill individuals suffering from untreatable and often excruciating pain. Can you possibly be as obtuse as you appear, or is something else going on?

Which raises the question: Did you read the attached article from Scientific American? That article explains that yes, better care is in fact available for those who are suffering. It's the older, nonprofit version of hospice care. So why not push for such care rather than this crazy idea of killing people to end their misery?
And a cure to cancer too. We need to work on things, but we also need to live in the world we live in with the tools we currently have.
My Dad was fortunate to land himself in a palliative care wing at the local hospital. He had the absolute best care he could have ever really hoped for. But they were always chasing the pain. They didn't want to dope him up to unconsciousness, but really, that is what was needed. It was awful having to let him sleep, rather than spend waking moments with him. It was what he wanted, what he needed. His last few days were awful. Watching a person's body shutdown is arduous and painful. But some people don't want to allow to push them pass quickly and with less needless suffering.
Unfortunately, we're not hearing from your Dad but from you. Are we to trust your judgment regarding who should live and who should die? Didn't you object to my choosing those alternatives? I've noticed that it is common for family members to tell these horror stories rather than the person they say was suffering.
That sounds like an accusation of lying.
I've read many times that few people actually choose euthanasia but many are comforted knowing they have that choice. I want to have that choice. Why would you deny someone like me that choice?
That's a bizarre question because I can't deny you anything. But if you are suicidal, then I urge you to contact:

I'm very serious when it comes to matters of life and death. Please get help if you are suicidal.
Isn't this the gist of the issue here. You are incapable of determining if someone is suicidal. It means you have no idea what you are talking about. You have repeatedly provided indications that you are actually a danger to people who are suicidal and more likely to shame them into killing themselves.

And a cure to cancer too. We need to work on things, but we also need to live in the world we live in with the tools we currently have.
Yes--let's live in the world we live in using what means we have to reduce suffering or even eliminate pain if we can. I've proved that we can do it. Tragically, people often give up on doing so believing that we should just rid the world of its troubles by ridding the world of troubled people. We even have hateful, obnoxious people who will curse out anybody who points out the fact that death is not the answer, and they do that under the guise that they are compassionate and respect "the right to die."

Isn't that crazy? I would need to be awfully gullible to believe them especially if they claim to be retired healthcare professionals.
You might earn my trust if you answer my questions. Why should any of us believe these "second-hand testimonies" of the dying needing what some call a "good death"?

Isn't this the gist of the issue here. You are incapable of determining if someone is suicidal.
I'm not sure why I should be able to tell if a person is suicidal. So rather than take any unnecessary risks, the prudent thing for anybody to do is urge apparently suicidal people to get help.

Years ago a friend of mine, a Christian, told me he was contemplating suicide. I explained to him that according to many Christian sects, suicide is a ticket to hell. He's with us to this day! Isn't that interesting? Christian beliefs can serve useful purposes.
It means you have no idea what you are talking about.
Very obviously any supposed inability on my part to diagnose suicidal tendencies doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. Like Lion has pointed out, many here go on the personal attack once they realize their position is in trouble, and there's no fair way to defend it. But I do give you credit for not cursing me out.
You have repeatedly provided indications that you are actually a danger to people who are suicidal and more likely to shame them into killing themselves.
LOL--where do you get that? Desperation leads us to ridiculous measures, does it not?

Another example of derail goading.

Did I mention God or religion?
Why are you trying to change the subject?

Why cant we just have an interesting secular discussion without the bait-and-switch?
No you just indicated the people must suffer because of your paranoia.

Nope. I'm not paranoid. I've got empirical data.
Correct. It's not paranoia to fear and oppose a real threat to the lives of the innocent.
People suffering the psychological torture of elder abuse wherein they feel pressured to 'speed things up' and stop being a burden on the system aren't being paranoid either.
That includes the disabled too. They've started groups like Not Dead Yet to oppose this death threat. There's no paranoia with them
They are victims of gaslighting...
I've been gaslighted many times when I've spoken out about people abusing the disabled and that includes myself being abused. We shouldn't be surprised when we are gaslighted here being libeled as "paranoid."
...and euphemistic language about dying with dignity.
To me the logical approach is to try living and caring with dignity first.

Yes--let's live in the world we live in using what means we have to reduce suffering or even eliminate pain if we can. I've proved that we can do it. Tragically, people often give up on doing so believing that we should just rid the world of its troubles by ridding the world of troubled people. We even have hateful, obnoxious people who will curse out anybody who points out the fact that death is not the answer, and they do that under the guise that they are compassionate and respect "the right to die."
Proved where? Just because there are some patients that can be helped doesn't mean all patients can be helped, nor that those who can be helped can be helped sufficiently. I know with my father that it reached the point where there was adequate pain control or there was thinking, but not both.

Isn't that crazy? I would need to be awfully gullible to believe them especially if they claim to be retired healthcare professionals.
Just because you disagree with his claimed credentials doesn't make them false. Especially since he claimed to be retired, not active.

Proved where? Just because there are some patients that can be helped doesn't mean all patients can be helped, nor that those who can be helped can be helped sufficiently.
Right. We don't really know what people can be helped significantly. To find out we need to try to help them.
I know with my father that it reached the point where there was adequate pain control or there was thinking, but not both.
I know that my friend Pat was dying from cancer. She was in pain but told me the medication she was prescribed (I think it was morphine) was controlling that pain. I spent time with her speaking with her and keeping her occupied with a jigsaw puzzle we were working on. She seemed to be in good spirits and accepted her fate. Not long after that she died I believe peacefully. I think that my taking time out for her sent her the message that she was respected and valued as a human being.

So we both have stories we can tell as anecdotal evidence for how we see dying. I admit my story is no doubt as biased as yours, but that's because I want people to be treated well regardless of their physical condition. Maybe some day when I'm dying I will be treated as well as I treated Pat.
Just because you disagree with his claimed credentials doesn't make them false. Especially since he claimed to be retired, not active.
I cry out with teary eyes--Loren, I believe; help my unbelief!

Proved where? Just because there are some patients that can be helped doesn't mean all patients can be helped, nor that those who can be helped can be helped sufficiently.
Right. We don't really know what people can be helped significantly. To find out we need to try to help them.
Except we do know it fails for some people.

I know with my father that it reached the point where there was adequate pain control or there was thinking, but not both.
I know that my friend Pat was dying from cancer. She was in pain but told me the medication she was prescribed (I think it was morphine) was controlling that pain. I spent time with her speaking with her and keeping her occupied with a jigsaw puzzle we were working on. She seemed to be in good spirits and accepted her fate. Not long after that she died I believe peacefully. I think that my taking time out for her sent her the message that she was respected and valued as a human being.

So we both have stories we can tell as anecdotal evidence for how we see dying. I admit my story is no doubt as biased as yours, but that's because I want people to be treated well regardless of their physical condition. Maybe some day when I'm dying I will be treated as well as I treated Pat.
No. This isn't a case where there's one right answer. Some people can be helped, some can't.

??

I don't like Brussels Sprouts.

Forcing me to eat Brussels Sprouts would be cruel; Tricking me into eating them would be evil. I don't expect that I shall ever, under any circumumstances, want to eat Brussels Sprouts, and nobody should be permitted to make me do so.

Therefore nobody should be allowed to have Brussels Sprouts, because offering them to people is immoral, and there are always alternatives. If somebody asks for Brussels Sprouts, then we should ignore their request, and offer them some nice Peas or Carrots instead.

Those people promoting the idea that we should let people choose Brussels Sprouts should instead be working to ensure that the widest possible range of alternative vegetables are on the menu.

If anyone is thinking of ordering Brussels Sprouts with their dinner, I urge them to seek help.
Brussels Sprouts are merely the tip of the iceberg. Any form of cooked leaf is not proper food and has no business being on the table. (And my wife is obviously going to hell because she likes most leaf food.)
You need to have your wife hear, repent, confess, and then be baptized. Sorry, that's just my Church of Christ upbringing come out in me. :ROFLMAO:

You might earn my trust if you answer my questions. Why should any of us believe these "second-hand testimonies" of the dying needing what some call a "good death"?
You do realize Hospice isn't about sustaining life, right? It is about allowing someone to die, but with comfort. The goal of Hospice isn't to help a person live an extra second.

Isn't this the gist of the issue here. You are incapable of determining if someone is suicidal.
I'm not sure why I should be able to tell if a person is suicidal. So rather than take any unnecessary risks, the prudent thing for anybody to do is urge apparently suicidal people to get help.
Okay, so you said you shouldn't be able to tell if a person is suicidal, but then say you urge people are you think are suicidal to get help. That makes no sense.
Years ago a friend of mine, a Christian, told me he was contemplating suicide. I explained to him that according to many Christian sects, suicide is a ticket to hell. He's with us to this day! Isn't that interesting?
It is a "second-hand testimony". So I'll file it where you file "second-hand testimonies".
You have repeatedly provided indications that you are actually a danger to people who are suicidal and more likely to shame them into killing themselves.
LOL--where do you get that?
When you said you allegedly were trying to shame a person who tried to commit suicide, which is a very good way to help push someone to try again.

We don't really know what people can be helped significantly. To find out we need to try to help them.
Except we do know it fails for some people.
Yes. But we don't know who those people are until we try to help them.
This isn't a case where there's one right answer. Some people can be helped, some can't.
The one right answer is to try to help people so we know who can be helped. It's simple common sense. Why keep chanting "we can't help some people"? Is that a call to withdraw support from those we assume are hopeless?
??
I was alluding to Mark 9:23-25 where Jesus implores the father of a deaf and dumb child to believe that Jesus can cast out the spirit. In a similar way this board implores people to be believe.

Back
Top Bottom