• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Horns Up Heavy Metal fans?

NIN certainly gets into the rage as well, but industrial music has a lot in common with metal. I think most would consider it a sub-genre of metal. Metal, however, is extremely varied these days. The music is often aggressive, but there are metal ballads galore to choose from, and the message can range from uplifting to just plain silly, though you are accurate in as far as "rage and intensity" being where most metal songs fit.

- - - Updated - - -

@Thomas II - That is an awesome video. When you are as great of a guitarist as Zakk Wylde, you can make any guitar sound good.

A lot of the music I choose to listen to these days depends on the mood I'm in, which is rarely rage.

Not only that but metal is often the polar opposite of what I'm likely to listen to. Usually I'm in to more chill, relaxed, cool, calm, soulful music. Might partly be a product of my personality, another part of it might be introversion. I rarely crave music that's too upbeat, regardless of genre, which I've come to understand is often correlated with the extraversion spectrum. I'd assume metal fans lean heavily extrovert.

I don't think rage is a necessary mood for metal, and it may even be detrimental if it causes you to do violence or something stupid. However, metal is good for an outpouring of emotion, which could be rage, or excitement, or a number of different emotions. Now, I was raised on classical, but always had a soft spot for the louder, more powerful pieces, and in that regard, find it analogous to metal. Holst's Mars: The Bringer of War, Wagner's Die Walküre, and pieces like them were the metal of their days.

I'd also think you'd be surprised to find that there are more introverted metal fans than you might think. Metal is often seen as rebellious music and it can lift up the feelings of the down-trodden, the bullied, and the isolated. It may well help the introverts to come out of their shells from time to time.

The closest I get to Metal is Nine Inch Nails, who are more industrial but with a similar vibe. Even then, I don't listen to them much.

Metal's always seemed ragey and intense to me. Nothing wrong with rage and intensity, but I don't feel a lot of that so no drive to listen to it.

NIN certainly gets into the rage as well, but industrial music has a lot in common with metal. I think most would consider it a sub-genre of metal. Metal, however, is extremely varied these days. The music is often aggressive, but there are metal ballads galore to choose from, and the message can range from uplifting to just plain silly, though you are accurate in as far as "rage and intensity" being where most metal songs fit.

- - - Updated - - -

@Thomas II - That is an awesome video. When you are as great of a guitarist as Zakk Wylde, you can make any guitar sound good.

:D I know exactly what you mean!

I remember you telling me about this band a long time ago KeepTalking. Now it's one of my favorites to exercise to

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bINcxA29QEE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbixaaxeKt0[/YOUTUBE]

Hey Smoker, thanks for posting that Rivers of Nihil song, I had not listened to their new record before, and I love the way they are progressing their sound now. I am finally giving the full album a listen as I type this, good stuff. I have been getting into progressive metal a lot more recently. Moon Tooth has quite a different sound, but they are one of the new prog metal bands I have been listening to. Check out this song from their new (2nd) album:

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP0D3oVfOxc[/YOUTUBE]

Hey what's up man there you are. That new rivers of nihil album doesn't seem to have any bad songs on it. I've been listening to the shit out of it over and over lately. I like this Moon Tooth band and I'm gonna definitely check out more of their stuff. The other night I went with a friend to see one of their favorite bands 3teeth, which I had never heard of, and they ended up being one of the best metal shows I've seen in a while. So now I'm trying to find more industrial metal bands that sound like them.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRbKg_5UhlA[/YOUTUBE]

Back
Top Bottom